Adoption info meeting!

Share your questions about and experiences with adoption or surrogacy pregnancy alternatives.

Moderators: Atsie, caleighbelle47

Adoption info meeting!

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Apr 04, 2006 3:33 am

I'm going to it tonight, and looking forward to gathering info about the issues and the process! I told my mother about it, and she's all disapproving. I have a cousin who was adopted, and he has some problems as an adult, so she's fearful for me. But heavens, butt out lady! She's SO negative and is SO set on letting me know every possible problem that can arise. GRR! I'm not going to discuss it with her anymore.
But anyway, I am going with a childless friend, who is very skittish about going tonight as it makes it more real to her that she may never concieve. It's quite sad how she's suffering. They are on their 3rd or 4th IVF attempt now.
I'm excited about exploring the possiblities, and look forward to starting a possible "adoption pregnancy" tonight. I think it's just as exciting, in a different but just as "pregnant with possiblities" way, to start this process!

Sarah
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Apr 05, 2006 12:24 am

What a wonderful, moving meeting. I'm very touched by the possibilities, and seeing the pictures of the children the agency has placed made it so beautifully real and poignant.
It feels just as exciting as my pg with Aidan, in a different form but just as intimate and full with hope and love.
I feel better about going the adoption route now that I have had this experience. It was good to get my feet wet in gathering info.
Norway helps adoptive parents economically, by paying for almost half of the adoption costs! Not that we'll be here, since we're moving, but quite amazing to hear. And you get maternity benefits for a year when you adopt! Almost all adoptions are international--mostly the Far East. Including trip costs, it's only about 10 thousand dollars to adopt a youngster. Not that a price can be put on a child, but costs are prohibitive in the USA for foreign adoptions, and we prefer to adopt a child from a developing country.
The folks at the agency talked about how important it is to adopt from a country you feel some warmth towards, since you will have a connection with that country forever, and it is good to feel good about the place for your child's sake. That was great to keep in mind, so we can think about that for a while.

Sarah
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby m.ij05 » Apr 05, 2006 6:13 am

Sarah,
I'm glad that your meeting went so well for you. We've also considered adoption but we want to ttc another child first. I'm not to sure that I could handle hg anymore than that. I think that it's great that Norway helps out so much with the costs of adoption. I think that more people would adopt if it became more afordable. Have you any preference about age or gender?
Ingrid
m.ij05
Opinionated HGer

Postby Atsie » Apr 05, 2006 7:01 am

Sarah,
I am so glad that went well and you feel so positive. I love that Norway helps with the costs. That really opens it up for so many more people.

What Mat benefits do you get? Full pay for the year? We get 55% of our pay (before taxes) for 52 weeks. Its not bad.

Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby krisalis » Apr 05, 2006 11:23 am

Sarah,
It's so exciting to see you start your journey! My Dh and I have been talking about adopting after this one is born and settled. We get the full year mat leave here for adoptions too, which I think is wonderful. What a great oportunity to bond with your new little ( or big ) one.
I'll be watching to see how it goes.
Best of luck!
Kris
krisalis
HG Expert

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Apr 05, 2006 11:28 am

M.i, it truly is wonderful how Norway helps. It makes sense, bec. they don't have to pay for pg care, so helping with the adoption "makes up" for that in a way.
Gender-wise, I think it would be nice to have a little girl, but from what I understand you can't request a specific gender. At least not here in Norway. The thinking is that you can't when you concieve, so you need to take the gender you get when adopting.

Erin, here it's 100% pay for 47 weeks for mom, 5 weeks for dad. Not bad in Canada at all, especially compared to the USA :shock:
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby krisalis » Apr 05, 2006 3:49 pm

Our 55% mat leave here ( in Canada) is non taxable so it actually comes out to closer to 85 or 90% depending upon your tax bracket. Your spouse can take up to I think it's 12 weeks of that, but it's 52 weeks in total.
Overall a really good deal.

Kris
krisalis
HG Expert

Return to Adoption & Surrogacy