overseas adoption?

Share your questions about and experiences with adoption or surrogacy pregnancy alternatives.

Moderators: Atsie, caleighbelle47

overseas adoption?

Postby jemfromoz » Jan 11, 2005 6:58 am

I am curious as to why overseas adoption is not the choice for any of you? Maybe same-country adoption is more readily available in the U.S.A. than in Australia - here there are very few babies placed for adoption and I would feel guilty going on the waiting list knowing I have 2 healthy children and there are so many childless couples out there desperate for a baby of their own. My husband and I feel that our family is not complete and that we have a lot to offer a child (possibly siblings?) but there is NO WAY I could ever put myself or my family through pregnancy again. Curious to know what you all think?
Jem :?:
From Australia, 2 hg pregs -
Milly (8yrs) + Gus (5yrs)
and getting clucky again -AHHHHH!
jemfromoz

Postby PamelaRose » Feb 06, 2005 4:50 pm

Here in the US, it is much more common to adopt a baby in-country than it is for you. Overseas adoption can be spendy in comparison to local adoption, and there is a lot of governmental red tape to cut through. The speediest route to adopting is arranging a private adoption, which can be very expensive. Open adoption is a bit trickier, but we have many children waiting for good homes here, and the process for adopting them is simpler than going overseas. I know of many people who've adoped from various places around the world with good success, too; it's really about timeline and finances.

Have you and your husband begun to look into specific adoption routes? How exciting! Good luck. :D
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby jemfromoz » Jan 15, 2006 5:59 pm

We have been looking at adopting from China, but it now looks very unlikely as the cost is $20,000 plus and we just don't have the money. How unfair! We are now considering enduring another pregnancy (unless we come into a great deal of money) but that is just scary. We are giving ourselves 12 months to think it over.
Thanks for the reply, Jem :)
From Australia, 2 hg pregs -
Milly (8yrs) + Gus (5yrs)
and getting clucky again -AHHHHH!
jemfromoz

Postby PamelaRose » Jan 15, 2006 10:52 pm

The cost is just astounding, isn't it? I'm sorry it's such a distant option for you; I hope you can arrive at a decision you're hopeful about over the course of the next year! Best wishes to you, Jem.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Feb 21, 2006 9:20 pm

Jem, lol on getting clucky again!!

We're considering overseas adoption, but we live in Norway, where it is more common. We were thinking that since an hg pg is so pricey in terms of quality of life, lost work time for both parents, med costs, etc., that it would sort of equal out. And payment plans and loans can help spread out the pain. But it is so sad that adopting is so pricey, when so many kids are desperate for new homes.

Sarah
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Return to Adoption & Surrogacy