Moving to Japan

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in Asia to discuss HG and pregnancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Moving to Japan

Postby Christi » Mar 11, 2005 11:08 pm

Hi there. We are military and will be moving to Iwakuni (near Hiroshima) in a few months. The idea of that really long flight from the states with HG is what is scaring me the most. I think I will be fine medically since we will still have military docs and they should follow the protocol I am already on... I have heard such horror stories about military docs, but mine have been angels!
Any tips on surviving air travel for that many hours? I am really afraid that I will be so sick that they won't let me change flights when needed. :cry:
My son has a history of getting air sick, so I am sure this might make me worse!!!
All help is appreciated!
Mom of 4 HG babies
daughter: 12-97
son: 8-01
son: 10-05
son 3-08
>o< mc:01-07
Christi
Opinionated HGer

Postby Traci in Japan » Mar 14, 2005 8:04 am

Hi Christi

I am in Japan. I had my kids here so please let me know if you have any questions about Japan. I'm not with the military so don't know anything about the medical system there. One of the other moderators is in Okinawa with the US military but is pg at the moment. I haven't been in the other folders to see how she is going at the moment. If she is well, I am sure she would be great help to you with the military side of things.

Good luck with your flight. I can only imagine that it will be rather difficult. I have travelled with all of my kids (from ages 2months up to 4) but never when I had hg. My usual tips for travelling are to make sure you have lots of spare time (get to the airport early) so you don't feel rushed, and ask for help from everyone. Can you contact the airline to make sure they are away that you might need assistance? Ask for transport by wheelchair/cart to the gate or help with your child and baggage pickup. I have had the airlines willingly do this for me when pregnant and/or when travelling with little ones. On the plane, make sure you get the seat of your choice, up front may not be the best if you are worried about food odours, but near the toilets might be pretty horrible as well. If the plane is not too full you can ask to have a couple of seats near you blocked off so other passengers are seated away from you. (Not literally blocked...blocked on the boarding layout) I can't see that you being sick should be any bother to the flight attendants who must deal with vomitting passengers rather frequently. I would make sure that you tell them you need help with your child. The attendants are usually good at looking after the kids. My boys always end up finding some kind passengers to play with them and take them for 'walks'. I have had other passengers rock my babies off to sleep for me.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy Japan.
Traci in Japan
Australian, three boys (hg pregnancies and births in Japan)
Traci in Japan
Welcomed Friend

Postby Christi » Mar 14, 2005 9:13 pm

Thanks Traci,
I hadnt even thought to ask for help with the wheelchair and the kids. Hopefully my hubby will be traveling with us. This should help. He just offered to let me fly first class and he will ride in coach with the kids. Not sure how I feel about this, but it is something else to consider.
Let me know if the other mod is up for a chat. Please give her my name so she can contact me in private mail if desired. :)
Mom of 4 HG babies
son 3-08
Christi
Opinionated HGer

Postby Lil7Deb » Mar 17, 2005 6:36 pm

Christi -

Hi, I'm Deborah, a marine wife stationed on Okinawa. Please feel free to PM me with any questions. I'll shoot ya my email address and we can chat before the big move.

How are you flying? AMC, or commercial? What branch of service are you? I am assuming Navy due to the fact you're Iwakuni, but not always true.

How far along are you? What is your course of treatment? Where are you flying from?

Sorry for all the questions. It'll be a bit easier to give you estimates if I can get an idea where you're coming from! :D

Don't freak out TOOO much you've got a long journey, however I think I can make it a little easier for you.

Deborah
Deborah

Mom to Mackenzie (2002) and Collin (2005)
Lil7Deb
Been There Done That

Postby Christi » Jul 17, 2005 12:52 am

I am here ! Made it to Japan over a month a go, but with the housing wait and the daily stuff, just go the internet hooked back up.

The trip was much easier than I ever imagined. I havent been to terribly ill in quite a few weeks. I have found that if I take a little zofran in the morning an hour before I get up, I can get through the rest of the day meds free! But if I skip that morning upper, I puke all day long.... very trying somtimes!

Thanks for the support while I was moving and through the worst of my HG. I am hoping the last trimester will be smooth sailing, but past pregnancies tell me differently. Yet, I remain optimistic since our little guy has been the easiest of the 3 so far!
Mom of 4 HG babies
son 3-08
Christi
Opinionated HGer

Postby Traci in Japan » Jul 17, 2005 6:33 am

Hi Christi
I had been wondering how you got on. Welcome to Japan. I hope you get to enjoy it, although it is going to be terribly hot over the next couple of months.

We are just home from a day out with some of the local kids to see some farms. Saw the most amazingly huge cows!!! Also saw some aspargus and Japanese pear farms. All within five minutes of our house. Then we went to cool off - waterskiing.

Anyway, we are a long way from Iwakuni but I am sure there are plenty of things to do around there.

Nice to hear that you are doing ok for now. Take care of yourself and feel free to write if you have any questions about anything.
Traci in Japan
Australian, three boys (hg pregnancies and births in Japan)
Traci in Japan
Welcomed Friend

Anyone still in Japan?

Postby Christi » Aug 02, 2007 5:07 am

I am preggers again and still in Japan. The first one was quite a delivery experience. I am a military wife, but we are very rural, so baby was born in a Japanese clinic.

This one will be a whole new ball game, since I dont have standing orders for zofran yet, but hope to soon!

If you are still in Japan, let me know!
Mom of 4 HG babies
son 3-08
Christi
Opinionated HGer

Return to Mothers in Asia