Not looking forward to tomorrow

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Not looking forward to tomorrow

Postby HelenA » Jul 27, 2005 5:00 pm

Tomorrow morning Kimi has her first set of jabs, I wasn't overly worried before as she had heel pricks in hospital and at home and she cried for a few minutes and then she was fine again... BUT.... On friday I had my HV come round to do her developmental check (which btw was fine) but she started talking about these jabs and said I should get some infant calpol in just in case, as most babies get cranky after their jabs, she said she may be grumpy most of the day and not be able to sleep properly, now I'm in panic mode as she isn't a cranky baby in general and I haven't had to deal with a screaming baby that can't be soothed. Is she scare mongering? Do some babies not get affected by the jabs at all? I guess I am worrying because I will be on my own tomorrow afternoon (DP will come to the appointment but will then be going to work). I'm kinda hoping someone will tell me that their babies barely noticed the jabs. And that the HV was talking...well crap!

Any advice gratefully recieved, whether good or bad.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby Trudy » Jul 27, 2005 5:56 pm

They all respond differently to the jabs. Beth has been great with all hers. She'd cry for a few seconds then is fine. She has no reactions, doesn't get a fever. The only difference they make is that she sleeps even better for a couple of days which is great for me.

If Kimi does get grumpy or a slight fever then just give her some paracetamol, or whatever you have there. Usually it only last a day or 2. Some mums give some paracetamol about an hr before the jab which can help too.

I'm sure she'll be fine. Usually, especially the 1st, they are harder on mum than they are on baby. I almost cried the 1st time.

Trudy
Trudy

3x HG Pregnancies
Abby and Laura went to heaven Oct 2002
Beth born 21 May 2004
Adam born 7th Feb 2006

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".
Trudy
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Jul 27, 2005 8:00 pm

Helen,

Just wanted to say that I noticed that Lukas handled his shots better when I gave him tylenol (is that your paracetamol?) BEFORE going to the doctor's. I didn't wise up to this until the 3rd or 4th set of shots (always gave it to him afterwards) but I found it made quite a difference.

Try not to worry about it too much...they really don't realize what is going on until it is all over and done with. Now giving shots to toddlers, that's another matter!! :wink:

Good luck!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby 3kids » Jul 28, 2005 6:13 am

I think it's something they "say", just incase, but Jack was always absolutely fine.

Sometimes cried just a few seconds, sometimes didn't even react, but no problems afterwards with fever, being upset, no bad reactions at all.
Like Joanna, I'd give Jack a small dose of Calpol *before* the appt, but I don't know if that's what made him alright, or if he would have been anyway.

If she's awake when they do the jab, just try to distract her as much as possible. It's really not so bad. A quick cuddle and she'll feel better - hopefully she'll not notice at all :D . It stays with you for hours, but they forget in minutes :wink:
Kelly, 30

3 m/c's

Jack, 3. HG 10w-birth
Katie, 2. HG 7w-birth
Ben, 7.5mo. HG 6w-birth

3kids
Been There Done That

Postby HelenA » Jul 28, 2005 7:31 am

I gave her some infant calpol (paracetamol) before we went like you all said, and she seemed fine, she cried or a minute after the needles went in (she had one in each leg) and afterwards she had a bottle and fell asleep. Trudy you said it made yours sleep even better for a couple of days, Kimi has been asleep since she had a bottle at 9.30am. It's now gone 1pm and she'll be due a feed soon, should I wake her for a feed or just let her sleep it off? I'm shattered and think I may have a cold coming on, but I can't seem to nod off because I don't know whether to wake her for a feed or not and also I keep checking to see if she has a fever or not. I know I'm probably being paranoid but I'm on my own all day and have no-one to call on to reassure me whats normal when they have these jabs. DP won't be home til midnight and my mum is out today. So I am resigned to checking her every 20 mins or so and debating whether to get her up for a feed, but each tme I think about it, I wonder whether to just let her sleep. So I'm hoping someone will see this before I go completely mad...LOL

Also I burst into tears in the dr's surgery when she started to cry! Normally when she cries for a bottle or because she's tired, it's just noise, but this time there were real tears in her eyes and she looked so sad I just started wailing! DP laughed at me and told me that I was more upset than she was...lol I'm ok now, I just didn't like seeing her like that, as she's usually so happy and content.

Anyways I've rambled on enough now, I think I'll go get a coffee!
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby mandy » Jul 28, 2005 7:52 am

Hi Helen,

I'd let her sleep a bit more. With my two, I could pop the teat in their mouths whilst they were still asleep in situations like this. The would just drink away and when they stopped I'd let them carry on with their nap. (This was feeding sitting up aggainst me to prevent wind etc). Would this work? Please don't worry about her as she sounds just fine. And remember, you are being a great mum, giving her a good start to life protecting her from all the 'nasties' out there. Take care and try to have a nap yourself. Mandy xxxx
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby Beth B » Jul 28, 2005 8:13 am

Your feelings are so normal - we moms don't want anything to hurt our little ones! It was definitely worse for you than for her - Kimi has probably forgotten all about the shots already. William never had a fever or any ill effects, but it did occasionally cause him to take a longer nap after the appointment. How are YOU doing now?
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

Postby Jolene » Jul 28, 2005 8:54 am

Helen,

I wouldn't worry, from how you describe KimberlyAnn she seems to be fine. Mine were opposites when they got their shots. My son cried and got a slight fever, but was fine after I gave him the tylenol. When it came time for my daughter's six week shots, they had her ready and my 14 month old son was in the room watching this. He saw her get the shot and he started screaming! This distracted Marley so much she didn't even realize she had gotten it and all worked out nicely.

Both of my kids slept extra after their shots, whether it was from the shots themselves or from the tylenol, I don't know. I wouldn't worry if I were you, you seem like a dotting and caring mom to me!

Jolene
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby HelenA » Jul 28, 2005 10:36 am

Thanks guys, Kimi woke up by herself around 3pm and was wanting fed, so I gave her a bottle and she had some nappy off time and then went back to sleep about 30 mins ago, she was awake for an hour. She seems happy enough and hasn't had a fever, so looks like she'll be fine. Me on the other hand am still a bit cautious but hey..lol
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby nomore » Jul 28, 2005 11:07 am

I was just going to add that I cried when Madison got her 1st shots at the Drs office... in fact, she was like a year old before I didnt well up. Ok Im a sap, but who likes to see there most cherished thing on earth in pain????

BTW, Im glad she did OK with the shots. They mostly made Madison tired..... Cant wait till Im dealing with this and not HG.

Also, my Dr had me nurse her right after the shots when she was really little to soothe her. (Or give her a bottle). It really did help sooth her right after the shots. (And no, she doesnt look to food for comfort anymore....lol, but even at 2 1/2, weve had a hard time getting rid of the last bottle before bed. We were about 95% there and then HG started. Well, bottle is comfort to her..... and thus it came back. Im not too worried. It will be gone soon,

BTW, Kimi looks great..

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum