Welcome Everyone

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in Eirp[e to discuss HG and pregnancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Welcome Everyone

Postby stephensmam » May 30, 2004 10:30 am

Hi everyone, welcome to the HER forums especialy to this topic, my name is Jacqueline and I live in Ireland , I have been active in the hugs site for about 2 and a half years and many of you will know me as stephensmam.
I have a 6 yr old boy stephen who I was in hospital on for most of my pg I had no meds only ivs I never stoped getting sick till 3 days after delivary, I am currently pg with no 2 Im 25 weeks along and spent 7 weeks in hospitl on ivs zofran and steroids this pg is much better because of the support i have recieved here and because of the steroids Iv just recently come off them iv been on them for 3 months, its very unusualy to be on them for more than 3 weeks here in Ireland but I was lucky to find a dr who listened to me and was happy to go along with me, i have met my fair share of rubbish drs and health proessionals Iv been told its all in my head and to eat crackers ect iv hered it all .

Im still being sick 3 to 4 times a day and have awful nausea but im coping.

I hope I can provide help and support to any of you out there who dont live in the USA and I look forward to getting to know you all.

lots of hugs

Jacqueline x
stephensmam
Been There Done That

australia - need help finding help

Postby jemimah » May 31, 2004 7:46 am

:?: Hi I'm Jem from OZ - Australia. I live in Victoria (Mornington Peninsula) and have suffered undiagnosed hg for 2 pregs (I say 'undiagnosed' because both times I lost 10 kg and vomited for 9 mths but doctor was unhelpful and unwilling to discuss my situation. Got the feeling he thought I was a hypocondriac (spelling?) all in my head) I am DESPERATE - we want to have one more baby but I CANT GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN. I need a proactive doctor who is willing to treat me - am willing to travel. Anyone from Aust who can suggest an ob/doc?
I plan on 'interviewing' docs before I fall preg this time - I have to be prepared 'cos I will have 2 littlies to look after, a house to run, a job and LIFE TO GET ON WITH. I suffered PND mildly this time, which I put down to the negligent way my preg was handled so I need some suggestions.
HELP!
Jem from OZ
jemimah

hi jem

Postby stephensmam » May 31, 2004 12:27 pm

Hi Jem,
Im the moderator here but the other moderator is satyam she is from oz to, we lso have another girl from oz aswell ill e maill her and hopefully we can help you.

Im so sorry to hear that you had such rough pgs and treatment Iv been there and i know what its like , the best thing you cna do is fins a dr who knows about hg and will treat you asap when you get pg i started zofran at 4 weeks and steroids at 12 weeks and iv from 7 weeks you need that start interviewing drs no before you9 get pg , there is a lot of info you cna download and bring with you and for yourself to educated yourself on treatments ect.

satyam should know more especialy about drs in oz so i will e mail her now and hopefully she will reply to you soon.

take care and if there are any more questions id be happy to help
hugs
Jacqueline x
stephensmam
Been There Done That

Postby Traci in Japan » May 31, 2004 8:51 pm

Hi Jacqueline, and Jen

Traci here (also known as ruukumaaku on the delphi group). I'm a bit busy this week but hope all will be settled down next week. My new baby is 3 weeks and my parents are visiting and finding rural Japan interesting but they aren't able to get around without my help. Loving having family with me to celebrate my beautiful boy.

Jen, I'm Australian and did see a doctor there although I can't say it was helpful.

I PROMISE to be back next week with time to read the board and get you a little info.
Traci in Japan
Australian, three boys (hg pregnancies and births in Japan)
Traci in Japan
Welcomed Friend

Postby galit » Jun 01, 2004 5:16 am

Hi Traci,

Congratulations! I'm so glad you got through the pregnancy o.k. and you have a beautiful son.

I'm 18 weeks pregnant right now, and am very excited because my friends from Japan will be visiting us in July. (I'm hoping my son will want to learn Japenese after this experience)

galit
galit

hi traci

Postby stephensmam » Jun 02, 2004 8:06 am

hi tracy,
Im glad you are ok now, gosh three boys you will have you hands full for the next few years, thats great your mother is there with you i hope you are managing to get some rest.

we all understand what its like with a new baby so dont worry about getting on the board to soon im just glad your ok now and hg is over for you.
lots of love and hugs Jacqueline
HG pg no 1 28/04/98 darling son Stephen ivs only,pnd
HG pg no 2 01/09/04 darling daughter Sarah ivs , zofran, steroids, meclizine, b6.http://lilypie.com/Kids_Birthday_code.p ... y_code.php#
stephensmam
Been There Done That

Israel

Postby hgisrael » Jun 03, 2004 2:01 am

Hi, My name is Leah, and although orignally born in England, now live in Israel. My husband and I are going through our first pregnancy, so you can imagine how unprepared we were for HG- we didn't even know what it was! Also my family live in England, which I found really hard - me and my husband just feel like we were on this desert island trying to survive each day as it comes. The medical system here is so different, than the States. I was given pramin during my first hospital admission which I had a severe allergic reaction to. Only on my 3rd admission, when I had reached 12 weeks, and lost 8kg (1stone) did the doctors try phenergan, which I was also allergic too. Finally some angel gave me zofran, and after a week fighting with the medical system here plus another hospital admission, we were able to get a prescription. The worst was probably the fact that every doctor I have seen since has said to me they would NEVER give zofran to a pregnant women, which made me feel guilty and worried about what I was doing to the baby. However, now that I am feeling better (managed to come off Zofran at 20 weeks and only vomit occasionally know, although nausea can still get pretty bad) and reading up on the condition on the net, it seems zofran is used much more commonly in America. Anyway like I said I am feeling okish now, but now finding it difficult to get back my self-confidence that was completely shattered during the past few months. Also lost my job because of HG which I am just managing to have the strength to get angry about.
well that's me...
hgisrael

Postby galit » Jun 03, 2004 4:20 am

Hi Leah,

Welcome! I'm glad you are feeling better but I'm sorry that you had to go through everything. I am origianally from Canada but live in the States now. I don't know that much about Zofran since I follow the Canadian guidelines which are slightly different than the US, but I wanted to tell you that a lot of women on this board who use Zofran and their babies are fine. I'm sure they will write you soon.

There is a site http://www.motherisk.org/sickness/index.php that you can visit. They do research on HG and are based in Toronto, in the Hospital for Sick Children. Women on this board are directed there since they are one of the few places we know that do research on HG. They also have a councilling service where you can call them, or in your case e-mail them and they can advise you on which drugs are safe, how effective they are etc. Within the last year or so they did a small research study on Zofran as well. Perhaps they can fax or e-mail you that study. If you have any questions, they would be great to contact. There is a lady here (on the board) that lives in Japan now (Traci)that was able to e-mail with them and receive advice since Japan's medical community does not believe in medical intervention during pregancy.

BTW where in Israel do you live? I lived in Ramat-Gan for a year when I was a teenager, but it seems like a life time ago. I am 18 weeks pregnant right now.

Good luck with everything,

galit
galit

5th time lucky!

Postby Dannika » Jun 03, 2004 11:54 am

I am from the Uk and I have suffered 2 miscarriages, a termination and one pregnancy ( a daughter, now aged 5), all with hyperemesis.
We really would like to try for another baby, so went privately to see our consultant, desperate for help so as I dont suffer as much next time, he is the nicest man and remembered me personally from all of my pregnancies and wants to do everything in his power to prevent another pregnancy with hyperememsis. He plans to put me on zofran from the day I find out I am pregnant, along with a anti sickness drug, cyclizine. If this doesnt work I will be put straight onto steroids, which I eventually went on at 20 weeks last time and worked wonderfully.
Has anyone been puton this sort of pattern of drugs? I feel hopeful after seeing him, but also scared to feel too hopeful in case this plan doesnt work. I dont want the best pregnancy ever, Im not silly enough to expect that! I would just like to stay hydrated enough to stay out of hospital, for my sake as well as my daughters.
Can anyone offer any advice, anyone else in the uk?
Dannika.
x
Dannika

Postby Natalie » Jun 03, 2004 6:37 pm

Hi Dannika.
I'm sorry to read about your experiences- you've had a really rough time of it. I've only had one pregnancy that resulted in my daughter (d.o.b. 17.10.03). My HG does not sound anywhere near as severe as yours - I was on Stemitil and then Avomine when the Stemitil stopped working. I doubt they would work for you - probably not aggressive enough.
Did you know there is a website for uk sufferers at www.bloomingawful.co.uk? They have a 'buddy' support system too, if you're interested. From my quick scan, it seems to cover most of the UK. Where are you?
I wish I could be more helpful! Anyway, I just wanted to write and say that I'm in the UK (Bristol). I don't post here that regularly but I log in daily to read the posts and chip in where I think I might be able to help.
HTH
Natalie
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby Dannika » Jun 04, 2004 9:36 am

Hi natalie,
Im In Worthing, which is near Brighton in West Sussex.
I was put on stemital but it didnt do anything! Yea Blloming awful website is good, I just emailed one of the founders about Zofran, lovely people.
What happened with u?
Dannika x
Dannika

Postby stephensmam » Jun 04, 2004 12:57 pm

Hi dannika,

Im from southern Ireland and 26 weeks into my second pg like you my first son is 6 and i wnet to a consultant lat year and agreed how to manage my hg at 4 weeks i was put on zofran 32mgs daily unfortunatly it didnt work and i ended up in hosp on ivs and iv zofran from 7 weeks till 12 week i was oput on steroids at 13 weeks i went home i came of the steroids 2 weeks ago, while they are not a cure im still nauseas and vomiting a few times a day im coping and im at home so much better than first time around i had no meds only ivs and misery .
HG pg no 2 01/09/04 darling daughter Sarah ivs , zofran, steroids, meclizine, b6.http://lilypie.com/Kids_Birthday_code.p ... y_code.php#
stephensmam
Been There Done That

Postby Natalie » Jun 04, 2004 7:21 pm

Hi Dannika.
I lived In Eastbourne for 2 years while doing my OT training. Nice and sunny, lots of elderly folks!! :wink:
I have finally got round to posting my experience on the ‘New to forum/Find a buddy’ section. It goes on a bit I’m afraid…
Also, I read your response about some midwives being surprised that you couldn’t go on with one of your pregnancies because you felt so dreadful. I cancelled my ‘Booking-in’ appointment 3 times and missed my 12 week scan because I was so sick. When I finally made it out of bed to get to the appointment, the midwife tested my urine. She said it was showing ketones and proteins +++ and that I should try to eat more. I mean for the love of God what do you say to that? Both my husband and I were incredulous. We tried time and again to tell her that I had already lost almost a stone in weight, that I couldn’t keep anything down, that I had been signed off sick – you name it but she just did not listen. There was I, just happy to make the appointment and you get a complete numbskull as your health professional. It beggars belief. Maybe I should put this on the vent-o-rama forum…
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby stephensmam » Jun 05, 2004 5:00 pm

hi natalie
welcome to the HER site,if i can help in anyway let me know.
stephensmam
Been There Done That

Re: australia - need help finding help

Postby Traci in Japan » Jun 14, 2004 2:05 am

jemimah wrote::?: Hi I'm Jem from OZ - Australia. I live in Victoria (Mornington Peninsula) and have suffered undiagnosed hg for 2 pregs (I say 'undiagnosed' because both times I lost 10 kg and vomited for 9 mths but doctor was unhelpful and unwilling to discuss my situation. Got the feeling he thought I was a hypocondriac (spelling?) all in my head) I am DESPERATE - we want to have one more baby but I CANT GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN. I need a proactive doctor who is willing to treat me - am willing to travel. Anyone from Aust who can suggest an ob/doc?
I plan on 'interviewing' docs before I fall preg this time - I have to be prepared 'cos I will have 2 littlies to look after, a house to run, a job and LIFE TO GET ON WITH. I suffered PND mildly this time, which I put down to the negligent way my preg was handled so I need some suggestions.
HELP!

Hi Jem

Traci again, sorry it took a while to get back.

I have 3 sons and had little or no treatment with the first two. I know how you feel...I could not have had this baby without the support of the women on this group. This time round I took some medication and needed to get to the hospital every day for drips, and I managed better than before. It was still difficult to even be in the same room as my boys - then 1 and 3 - and I did absolutely nothing to look after them or the house. Fortuanately my husband knew the routine. I was completely out of action until week 20 but it took me most of the pregnancy to feel any energy again. I wasn't sick for the last trimester but it wasn't until I delivered that I again felt full of energy (despite 3 boys :lol: )

I only saw one doctor in Australia - a gp because I couldn't get into an ob. My parents are in Yeppoon QLD. I wasn't pregnant at the time but preparing for this last pregnancy. The doctor gave me a prescription for Maxolon. I couldn't get him to agree to any other drugs but I don't think he really considered me to have a problem that Maxolon wouldn't fix. He hadn'T seen me while I was sick.

I also know (from other posters here) that Stemetil is also given frequently in Australia. Phenergen is available and so are steroids and zofran although you will need to find a doctor who is willing to prescribe them. Zofran is very expensive in Australia and not necessarily covered by insurance. A few of the prescription drugs were a little bit cheaper when ordered through the internet (Australian sites).

I am sorry but I don't have my file of information any more. You wil need to look up the medicines listed on this site and find the Australian names. Post a question here if you need help with this. I found that the blooming awful site had a list which used the Uk name and US name which helped a lot.

Then you can decide what medicines you would be happy to try. Some women have a reaction to some medications. If you find a helpful doctor while planning a pregnancy you might get some samples to try before to check that you don't have a reaction to a particular drug. It would be better to know beforehand that something is not going to be possible rather than wait until you are already feeling sick.

It would also be worthwhile checking with your insurance company to see which medications are covered.

Some of the medications are available over the counter in Australia. You could easily stock up on them. Some are available over the counter in the US or elsewhere and I am sure we could find someone willing to send some to you.

I had a friend in Spain and managed to get diclectin cheaply over the counter. (not available in the States and somewhat expensive when ordered on prescription from Canada) I chose that medication because I was in touch with Motherisk in Canada and had a friend there who could organise things for me. I didn't talk to my doctor here about what I was taking. You are hopefully in a better situation where you can see a range of doctors and fins someone to help.

I noticed Satyam (and the other Australians) haven't been on here yet. Someone will have more information than I do. Please keep in touch and between us we should be able to help get some information ready for interviewing doctors (even if you do phone/email correspondence with someone in a bigger city). There is a page on this site that should get you started.http://www.hyperemesis.org/mothers/refe ... doctor.php and when you find a doctor you could suggest that he/she read the information for practioners as listed on this site.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Traci (my boys are enjoying the sun in their new sandpit made by Pop-pop while baby boy is asleep)
Traci in Japan
Australian, three boys (hg pregnancies and births in Japan)
Traci in Japan
Welcomed Friend

Return to European Mothers