New to forum w/ question...

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

New to forum w/ question...

Postby jacksmom+1 » Jun 22, 2004 10:22 pm

Hi there! I am thrilled to have found this forum! I just found out that I am pregnant (my son is 6 months old) and I was soo not ready to be pregnant again...but here I am. I am only 4 weeks and a few days along w/ no symptoms yet. I had 2 miscarriages before my son and I think they were caused by lack of care for hyperemesis, which I had until the D&C was performed on both. With my son I had HG into the 18-20th week. I had it under control with Zofran, Phenergan, Reglan and Pepcid around the clock. I had the PICC lines, TPN and many hospital stays through it. I continued with all the meds until about 24 weeks and stopped all but zofran. I don't think I needed it but was too scared to stop it. I finally did around 30 some weeks and was fine without it. They told me that there was sludge in my gall bladder around 10 weeks and that may have caused my HG but who knows. I had my gall bladder removed now and was wondering, anyone know my chances of getting HG this time around????? Please let me know!

*~*Kelly*~*
Jack Christopher 12/15/2003
Lil Bean 2/27/2005
jacksmom+1

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 23, 2004 11:22 am

Hi, Kelly, and welcome. Congratulations on the new pregnancy--I'm sure that was quite a shock! But others have been there, too, and they love having their children so close in age now.

Referring to the question about gall bladder removal: sadly, no, it made no difference for me. I had my gall bladder out when my first child was 6 weeks old, and there was no difference between my first two HGs with gall bladder and the last two without it. I did vomit a BIT less of the dark bile after it was removed, but that was all I noticed. We get this question frequently from women hoping their gall baldders were the cause of their HG, bit I have yet to hear of a woman who had hers removed and had absolutely normal repeat pregnancies. But I'm sure it CAN happen!

Are you taking any proactive measures now to stave off HG? Many women start B6/Unisom right away and progress to Zofran soon after. Use the time you have to prepare for what's ahead; I hope HG is merciful this time and leaves you alone! Good luck. :)
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby jacksmom+1 » Jun 23, 2004 12:30 pm

Oh good. Just what I wanted to hear! Augh! Now I will just sit and await the HG monster! GRRRR! I really was hoping that my gall bladder removal would help...like ALL my dr's said it would! When I got my gall bladder out it was like having hyperemesis all over again but only for a few days! Why does it have to be like this????? I will get some B6 but it never made any difference in the past. When my HG started, it came on like...I feel fine, I feel fine, I have to puke, I have to puke and so forth...then I am in the hospital or doctors office within a day or two since I cannot even hold water down...or any pills and the phenergan suppositories do not work for me either! Oh GOD WHY ME!? Well, I will keep you posted I suppose.

*~*Kelly*~*
Jack Christopher 12/15/2003
Lil Bean 2/27/2005 (I WAS excited about this one)
jacksmom+1

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 23, 2004 1:34 pm

Sorry! :( You can always hope, but I'd prepare just in case.

How much B6 are you taking? Now that you're pregnant you should try for @150 mg/day--one pill in the morning, one afternoon, one at night. B6 takes a couple weeks so build up in the system, so start now! I never tried it with my first 3 pgs (well, did with #3 at 12 wks - waaaay to late), but did with the last and noticed that it really worked--smoothed my tummy is how I described it. So you have no nausea before you start the vomiting? Ok, then can you start Zofran NOW to head that off? Maybe if you get it in your system before you get dehydrated, you'll have a better chance of keeping it down. If you dehydrate quickly, ask for a picc and daily fluids right away this time. It really helped me with my last pregnancy. If you can keep yourself hydrated, you have a much better chance of finding meds that work. Suppositories don't work for many here, so don't worry about going that route. Good luck - one positive thing about repeating HG is that you've done it before. Yes, there's more panic initially because you know what's coming, but then there's calm in the midst of it--it's much easier to slug through again when you've already been through it once, I've found.

Would you like me to get you in touch with a buddy, someone who can lend support and cheer you on this time? Let me know! I'm excited for you! :)
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 23, 2004 2:49 pm

Hi Kelly!

Congratulations on your pg!

I moderate the 1st trimester folder, so I hope I'll be seeing you in there. There is a post there all about B6/Unisom/Zofran that is important to read. It will help you analyze if you used them to the best you could in the past.

Also, you might want to consider meclizine and later, if needed an NG tube. These are things you may not have tried and might be helpful or less traumatic.

When you are up to it, I'd like to know more info on your miscarriages. Huge hugs,

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to New to the Forums