A New Aussie Here

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

A New Aussie Here

Postby Spewy_McDooey » Jun 18, 2004 12:12 am

I've just found this forum, and then my emotions and memories washed over me and all I have done is cry.

My daughter will be 1 in July, and when I was pregnant with her, I was diagnosed with Hyperemesis Gravidarum at 6 weeks PG. I was so sick, I spewed all day. I didn't eat anything, I just spewed and cried, then spewed more and nothing I did would help it.

The doctor was adamant it was more a case of "mind over matter" and eventually after me begging for help he prescribed me maxalon, stemetil and gave me pethadine injections. None of it worked. I ended up in hospital on a drip for 3 months, and I still spewed..and spewed.. and spewed.

Everybody told me it couldn't be THAT bad. But it was. I wished I had never fallen pregnant. I HATED being pregnant. I vomited 3 times a day until the day my daughter was born. After having a pre-pregnancy weight of 74 kilograms, I was discharged from the hospital weighing in at 56kg.

I felt so much love for my daughter, the day she had been born. I also felt the guilt too, for all those times I spent with my head in the toilet bowl, wishing I would just lose my baby, and not be pregnant anymore.

So I am glad I found this forum, I want to meet other women like me.
I'm off to read all this inormation thats here. Theres so much, I just cannot belive it!
Spewy_McDooey

Reply to McDewy

Postby Satyam in Australia » Jun 18, 2004 10:10 pm

Hi i'm Satyam
i know the feeling. I think thats what many of us who received bad care and no understanding felt when we found these support boards.
I'm in Australia too. We can get most of the medications mentioned by the girls on here, some are just under different names, or very very expensive (as in Zofran $$$$, or the Unisom they discuss is known as Restavit over the chemist counter).
My daughter is 9 months old and I had a previous HG pregnancy the year before her, which i terminated regrettably due to the HG.

There are quite a few Aussies I have come across with HG it seems once you get informed and start talking about it other Hgers come out of the woodwork, or someone knows a woman with HG. There have been quite a few through these support boards. I try and log in once and awhile but I have been so busy with my daughter and studying and starting up a business, that I don't get here very often.
Just wanted you to know you're not alone.
Best wishes
Satyam in North Queensland Australia
Satyam in Australia

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 18, 2004 10:57 pm

Welcome! I love your screen name--Spewy says it all! :)

I think the mixed emotions of happiness because you fit in and sadness because you went through it alone are felt by everyone who finds this wonderful board for the first time. And the guilt! Every single one of us has had dark thoughts at some point in our pregnancies; you do not need to be ashamed to admit that in a place where everyone understands. You are incredible for surviving and getting your wonderful baby here! My youngest is 18 months old and a bundle of energy--such a fun age.

I hope to hear more from you - there is a wonderful forum here for HGers from other countries where you can meet more of our Aussies.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

me too!

Postby jemimah » Jun 21, 2004 6:35 am

Hi - another Aussie here (Victoria). I too have suffered from hg with both my pregs though I lost no where near as much weight as you (10kg each time). I had exactly the same experiences with doctors and EVERYONE thinking it was all in my head. Yes, I love to vomit several times a day!!!
I hate to say it, but the guilt for me was worse second time 'round because you have a child that depends on you as well as a fetus, and they are affected by your inability to function. My advice - I thought that it wouldn't happen to me again after my first preg (this is what everyone said) but it did and I wasn't prepared. Prepare yourself NOW if you want another child. This is what I am trying to do. I am desperately seeking a doctor that will start working with me now to help me prepare my body for preg. no. 3 in (if I can find help - no luck so far) about 12 - 18 mths. This website is the only support I have been able to find, and I discovered it after my second bub was born!! Research away - the more information and support you gather from here, the better you will feel. Who ever began this website is an angel. Jem from oz
Jem from OZ
jemimah

Return to New to the Forums