Heartburn??

Moms with HG in their 2nd trimester.

Moderators: JennyK, txmomma, Atsie, Cin

Heartburn??

Postby Chedasha » Jun 01, 2004 10:19 am

Hi my sister is at 24 weeks now and has suffered for a few weeks now terrible Heartburn. She takes Mylanta for it and has milk to try and calm it down. When she goes to bed and to sleep she gets woken by the burning in her throat that she says is unbearable and this leads to her gagging as she does have the excessive saliva thing happening still and all this leads to her vomitting everything and then some up.

Anyone got any tips on how to relieve Heartburn? As we know with HG people it just makes things worse to get nausea from it and to vomit.

Kat
DD Estella Dawn 06/06/2011
Chedasha
Welcomed Friend

Postby Natalie » Jun 01, 2004 10:33 am

Hi there
I don't know if this will help but anyway...
I had really dreadful heartburn and CAN NOT stand the taste of mint so could only really drink milk. I sipped it over a ridiculously long period of time and found that helped. Someone I know slept sitting up in bed, propped up on pillows which worked for her. I have to say though that by 24 weeks, my HG had reduced and doesn't sound as severe as your sister's.
I'm sure others will be along soon with lots of helpful suggestions :)
Natalie
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby dwtegli » Jun 01, 2004 10:38 am

I am taking Pepcid AC for my heartburn. It helps immensely. I actually took it during all my pregnancies and it has always worked for me.

Hope this helps.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby Chedasha » Jun 01, 2004 10:50 am

Natalie wrote:Hi there
I don't know if this will help but anyway...
I had really dreadful heartburn and CAN NOT stand the taste of mint so could only really drink milk. I sipped it over a ridiculously long period of time and found that helped. Someone I know slept sitting up in bed, propped up on pillows which worked for her. I have to say though that by 24 weeks, my HG had reduced and doesn't sound as severe as your sister's.
I'm sure others will be along soon with lots of helpful suggestions :)
Natalie

Hi Natalie
thank for that. I have told her about propping herself up on the pillows so she might try that.. she says she has been sleeping on a few but gets crick neck atm lol. Yes I think hers is progressively getting worse. I feel so bad for her when I hear her vomitting in the night.

Kat
Chedasha
Welcomed Friend

Re: Heartburn??

Postby Guest » Jun 01, 2004 11:12 am

Kat -

I definitely think your sister ought to try taking Pepcid. It is safe during pregnancy and lots of women take it for heartburn/reflux/acid control. I don't know what it is called in Australia. Maybe Andy will know, or you could look at the list of meds on this website. Let me know if you need help tracking down this medicine. It's over the counter, so if you want me to send you some, I'd be happy to do so.

Tell you sister to hang in there! And I'm so happy that you are here. You are amazing to help your sister and other women!

- Anna

Postby babykismet » Jun 05, 2004 11:02 am

I had terrible heartburn because Katie took up ALL of me. I had to prop myself up on pillows to sleep. I tried Mylanta liquid (kept it in the refridge so it would be very cold and cooling going down!) and I tried Pepcid. Pepcid definantly works better.
~Diana
1 HG pregnancy, 1 m/c at 13 weeks with mild HG
Mommy to Katie ~ 7-01
Preparing to try to conceive again
babykismet

Postby Chedasha » Jun 07, 2004 2:14 am

Thanks Dianna and Anna

She is currently using Mylanta but I will have a search around for Pepcid if this is available in australia??

Kat
Chedasha
Welcomed Friend

Postby MamaLily » Jun 07, 2004 1:53 pm

Kat -

Here is some info I found about Pepcid on http://www.safefetus.com/. At the bottom is a list of other trade names for Pepcid. Maybe you could call your local pharmacy to ask if any of these are available in Australia. And let me know...I'm curious!

I hope Pepcid will help your sister. Tell her to hang in there!

- Anna

Generic Name Famotidine
Trade Name Pepcidin
Manufacturer MSD
Risk Category
B

Controlled studies done on animals in reproduction do not indicate risk to the fetus.
No adequate and well-controlled studies done on pregnant women.

FDA Pregnancy Risk Categories

Indication

Histamin H2-receptor antagonist, anti-secretory. For treatment of gastric and duodenal ulcers and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Fetal Risk

Not teratogenic or embryotoxic in animals.
Crosses human placenta (In vitro studies).
No available data in human pregnancy.

Breast Feeding

Excreted into milk but less than Cimetidine and Ranitidine.
Compatible with breast feeding and preferred to other H2-blockers.

Other Trade Names
Antodine
Famodar
Famodine
Famotak
Famotec
Peptifam
Amodine
Gastrifam
Famodar ABR
Ulceran
Famodine AC
Famodin
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Return to Second Trimester HG