Help! Sick again

Moms with HG in their 2nd trimester.

Moderators: JennyK, txmomma, Atsie, Cin

Help! Sick again

Postby annie1005 » Jul 27, 2004 9:57 pm

After seeming to stabilize with intermittent nausea and vomiting, I've taken a turn for the worse for no apparent reason. Since yesterday, I haven't been able to keep anything down and am starting to feel the way I was feeling in my first trimester. Any thoughts/ suggestions? Anyone else experience this?

:(

-Annie
annie1005

Postby artbeware » Jul 27, 2004 11:01 pm

This happened to me a couple of times b/w weeks 12-14 and 17-20. How far along are you? Are you taking any medicine? Maybe you need a higher dose? Zofran saved my life. The sticky has a lot of information about that and other treatments. Hang in there, get lots of sleep, and keep trying those ice chips. Watermelon helped me keep a little hydration going. I could eat, but couldn't drink anything. Napping was often the only way I could keep from vomiting every half hour.
artbeware

Postby caleighbelle47 » Jul 27, 2004 11:20 pm

At around 20 weeks things got better for me, I had about 6 weeks of tolerable nausea and occasional vomiting. Now at 26 weeks things are starting to go down hill again. All liquids have been making me sick. All I have to take is Phenergan, so that's what I do. My doctor isn't much help. I'm afraid I don't have any good suggestions, but you're not alone.
Good luck.

Angela
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby annie1005 » Jul 28, 2004 2:29 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm on phenegren (25mg), zofran(8mg 3x a day), and B6/ Unisom(B6 50mg 3x/ day/ Unisom one tab at night), and this combo had been working for me. I'm around 23 weeks now. Can't even keep sips of liquid down, but I'll try the watermelon idea tomorrow. I do have an easier time with solids, so maybe that will work. I'll also give my doc a call tomorrow, but to be honest, I think he's all out of ideas on how to help me. I tried both zofran and reglan pumps and neither was helpful. I feel like I'm in this bad vomiting cycle and I don't know how to make it stop. I've considered going to the hospital for fluids, but last time I was there, the staff in the OB unit treated me like I was nuts. The doctor on-call refused to even come in and see me, and they discharged me with no fluids at all, just told me to follow-up with my doctor - so the whole trip felt pretty pointless. You'd think they'd never seen a hyperemesis patient before.... Anyway, thanks for listening to me rant.

-Annie
annie1005

Postby artbeware » Jul 28, 2004 10:58 am

Are you urinating often enough? (A gastrointestinal surgeon I know asked me this before asking anything else when he heard about my 2nd trip to the ER). If you're not urinating, then you absolutely should go to the ER for fluids. That doctor/ER ought to be shut down for treating you so badly!! Is there another ER nearby that you can go to? It makes me so angry. That's what hospitals are for, to help sick people. :evil: Maybe you could print out some of the more extreme stories from this site and bring them with you and say to them, you know, I'm trying to AVOID being admitted to the hospital. It's not like I WANT to lie on your uncomfortable bed for 8 hours with a tube stuck in my arm, but you know, there's a BABY involved here!!

But back to your misery, maybe ask your doctor to increase the dose to 32 mg of Zofran a day. I've been on 12 since 10 weeks, but when things got bad again at around 13-14 weeks, I went up to 16 and it helped. I'm so sorry you have to deal with more misery. Hope the watermelon helps!
artbeware

Postby MamaLily » Jul 28, 2004 2:23 pm

Annie -

:cry: I'm so sorry to hear that you've taken a turn for the worse! It is so frustrating to think you're getting better and then to feel sick again. I've read of a lot of women who are starting to get better and then something (a cold or UTI, traveling, trying to work, etc.) sets them back. :cry: So, you're not alone.

I agree that you ought to try 32 mgs of Zofran...I think the extra 8 mgs a day would help you. But remember that if you aren't hydrated, the zofran really can't do its job. So, PLEASE find a way to get some fluids. If your doctor won't help you get them, you'll need to find a way yourself. It is so hard to fight for what you need when you feel horrible, especially when you aren't getting the help you need from the hospital staff! But I know you can do it, and those fluids always help!

Have you ever discussed taking steroids with your doctor? You really ought to look into the possibility of a short taper...I think it would make a HUGE difference for you. In my experence, steroids can help stop the vomiting cycle you talked about better than any other medicine.

Hang in there and keep us posted on how you are doing. I'll be thinking about you and hoping that you are feeling better soon!

- Anna

P.S. If you want a new doctor, please let me know if I can help you find one! I think you seriously ought to consider switching to someone who knows more about HG and the available treatments!
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Return to Second Trimester HG