thanks for advice on meds

Moms with HG in their 2nd trimester.

Moderators: JennyK, txmomma, Atsie, Cin

thanks for advice on meds

Postby beachgirl » Jul 22, 2004 5:26 pm

helpful on all counts
Last edited by beachgirl on Aug 24, 2004 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
beachgirl

Postby MamaLily » Jul 25, 2004 2:43 pm

Lbing -

I'm sorry to hear that you're not doing well and that your doctor isn't being very aggressive or proactive about your care.

Do you have ketostix at home to measure the ketones in your urine? It's awfully hard for doctors to argue against hydration if you have ketones in your urine on a regular basis! It sounds like the nurses let you come in when you want, and your insurance company will pay - so I say just go in when you feel dehydrated. It's not worth risking your health or your baby's health by waiting around (and driving so far!) to see your doctor.

I really think that home health care is the best scenario for you. Is there any way of talking your doctor into setting this up for you? Or can you just schedule fluids a few times a week at your local hospital's ambulatory care or infusion center?

Let me know if you think switching doctors would be a good possibility...I'd be happy to help you find a more aggressive doctor. They do exist, but sometimes they are hard to find.

Has your doctor mentioned steroids as a possibility? Since you are past 10-12 weeks, steroids really might be a good option if you are still nauseated, dehydrated, and malnurished. Steroids helped me when no other drug was helping!

Hang in there and please keep us posted on how you are doing! I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with a doctor problem on top of HG!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby annie1005 » Jul 25, 2004 8:48 pm

I'm so sorry things are so rough for you right now. I'm on zofran, phenegren, and B6/ unisom. (I also tried a zofran pump, acupuncture and benedryl during this pregnancy, to no avail.) To be honest, the meds I'm on now did keep the vomiting down, but the nausea didn't let up even for a second until about 18 to 20 weeks. But every person is different. Even with all the meds, I couldn't work, function, do anything for the longest time. I pretty much just laid there and wished I would die. After about week 16, I did notice a slight improvement - which appeared by having one good day out of a week, then more and more good days. Now, I have maybe 3 to 4 good days a week and I still throw up most nights and have intermittent nausea, but at least I can function now. I haven't yet been successful at decreasing the meds. I'd love to get off the phenegren because it makes me so drowsy and because it is associated with increased risk of jaundice in infants (when taken late in pregnancy), but so far, I haven't been able to do it without getting really sick. My heart does go out to you. Hg is sheer torture.

Lots of hugs and well wishes
-Annie
annie1005

better thanks

Postby beachgirl » Jul 29, 2004 11:45 am

got a picc line
Last edited by beachgirl on Aug 24, 2004 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
beachgirl

Postby MamaLily » Jul 30, 2004 1:59 pm

Lauri -

So happy to hear that you are getting the fluids you need! I hope you start stabilizing and feeling better soon. Please keep us posted...we'll be thinking about you. Keep hanging in there!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Return to Second Trimester HG