In Second Trimester - When is it normal to feel better?

Moms with HG in their 2nd trimester.

Moderators: JennyK, txmomma, Atsie, Cin

In Second Trimester - When is it normal to feel better?

Postby Cindy » Jul 09, 2004 9:21 am

Hi everyone
I am now 14 1/2 weeks...I started HG at my 6 th week so I have now had it for 8 1/2 weeks. My 8th throught 13th week were hell... I was very sick, had a PIC line put in and put on hydration and Zofran. I ended up losing 13 pounds in 2 weeks. Anyway.. my symptoms seem to be getting better but it is a little frustrating. This past weekend I felt great.. actually ate some real food, like meat and vegetables.. no problems. But this Tuesday, I started the nausea feeling and not feeling to hot all this week. After seeing my doctor yesterday (they heard the heartbeat and it sounded fine!) she said that sometimes when you are closer to the end of HG you have good days and bad... How do I know I am getting better...? I hope that I will be one of the lucky ones and it ends by the 16th week. I guess just want to hear from others. Once you can get off the medicine, do you feel better during the rest of your pregnancy? This is my first pregnancy and I never thought it would be this tough. What are the chances if I have a second one, I would be this sick?
Anyway - would love anyones input or advice!
Cindy :?
Cindy

Postby emily » Jul 09, 2004 10:43 am

Hi Cindy,

Well, HG never ended for me. I was sick throughout. BUT After about 20 weeks it did get better and I did have pretty good days. I would even go a couple of days without throwing up. And I could eat sometimes, like at a restaurant. A friend came to visit me when I was about 7 months along and we actually spent the day downtown and went to a movie theater that served food. But, it never went completely away and even mixed into my good days, I would have some pretty bad days or even series of days and end back up going in for IV's to help get me back on my feet. It is just so different for everyone, but I do think in general, although certainly not for everyone, it does get BETTER. Then there is always birth and the beautiful baby you will have. That certainly kicks it! ;)
emily
Devoted to You

Re: In Second Trimester - When is it normal to feel better?

Postby MamaLily » Jul 09, 2004 1:00 pm

Cindy -

Hi and welcome to the 2nd Trimester! I'm glad that you are feeling a little bit better. I know it's still hard to have good days mingled with bad days...it can be so frustrating!

What medications are you still taking? I wasn't able to wean from steroids until almost the 3rd Trimester, and it took me longer to wean from Zofran - and even then I wasn't good for much throughout my pregnancy. Don't try to get off the meds until you feel good for a while (maybe a couple of weeks). Are you still throwing up a lot or is the nausea making it hard for you? Perhaps adding something like Unisom/B6 or meclizine would take the edge of the remaining HG and help you function a little bit better.

Yes, HG usually gets better somewhere around 16-20 weeks. But it's very individual...some women get lots of relief and others no relief. Unfortunately you won't know until you are there yourself. It sounds like you have made it through the worst, though, which is a great accomplishment!

Hang in there and let us know what we can do to help!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby Natalie » Jul 09, 2004 3:22 pm

Hi Cindy.

I was one of the 'luckier' ones with HG. My HG (well the vomitting) stopped around week 20. I was like Emily in that I would find I would go from vomitting numerous times in 24 hours to going a morning and / or afternoon, evening, night without being sick. The nausea left and I didn't vomit again until labour. The nausea did return in the 3rd tri. but it wasn't anywhere near as bad. I was able to return to work full time at week 23 (having stopped at week 6) until week 36.

I really hope you find some relief soon.

Natalie.
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Thanks for all of you posting!

Postby Cindy » Jul 10, 2004 9:01 am

Thanks for all of your posts!! Luckily I have not vommitted for 3 weeks now, even though I felt like it yesterday. Naseau is the biggest problem for me and not being able to eat much. I am still on Zofran and still have my PIC line in. I guess I will continue to use it until I feel better. I really hope I am one of the people where it goes away in your 16th-20th week. I can't wait to feel somewhat normal. Thanks for your input...
Cindy

Return to Second Trimester HG