I had a weird "spell" today

Moms with HG in their 2nd trimester.

Moderators: JennyK, txmomma, Atsie, Cin

I had a weird "spell" today

Postby steennd » Jun 29, 2004 12:22 am

I see some of you have had some problems with fainting. I'm wondering if that is similar to what I experienced today.

I went to Super Target today to pick up a few grocery items. That was mistake number one, no way should I be in a grocery store. Usually though super Target is okay because it doesn't reek of raw meat too bad. As I'm finishing up my shopping I start to feel kind of weird. Not dizzy but kind of feeling like I need to sit down. So I go to the check out. I'm trying to unload my stuff on to the check out but I am definitely starting to feel WEIRD. Kind of woozy, kind of nauseaus, kind of spinny. Then I break out in a cold sweat and i have to put my head down on the cart. I'm not sure if I'm going to throw up or pass out or what. Meanwhile the check out guy is a little concerned and he asks if i'm okay. I tell him that i'm just having a little spell or something. By some miracle I am able to pay and get the heck out of there. I sat down outside for a little bit and then I was okay.

I'm really concerned because I had similar episodes like this during my DD's pregnancy, which was not HG by the way. I ended up having a EKG (which was normal) and some other lab work (normal). It became really debilitating because I'd have these spells even if I was just hanging out at home watching TV or something. THe doctor told me that it was panic attacks. I don't have any experience with that so I wasn't sure. I had nothing to be anxious about at all, no job, no kids. I just hung out at home all day or did whatever I felt like. Anyway, I'm kind of getting off on a tangent here. I did not have these spells with my son's pg, which was HG, so I thought I was done with them forever!

Is this what your alls fainting spells were like?
steennd

Postby mammaclare » Jun 29, 2004 11:11 pm

I had DEFINATE panic attacks--usually you feel like you can't get enough air with them. They aren't always clearly linked to what you might think of as something worrisome or scary so that is a possibility.

It also sounds like an episode of low blood sugar...I had a lot of those (since eating was not fun or easy) and made sure I had something on hand at all times.

And, I also had other episodes of scary light headedness where my vision went all weird and I was sweating and cold at the same time. My OB said that sometimes the baby can move slightly and end up compressing your vena cava (same reason PG women should avoid laying flat on their backs) and you will feel all out of sorts for a moment until the baby moves away--so when I got the "spells" I would push on my tummy to try and get Rory to move. Not that it really worked, but I felt like I was doing something.

I think that the bottom line is that our bodies get so WEIRD when we are PG (even the "normal" pregnancies) and sometimes you will never really know why something happens--as long as you have shared it with your OB and make sure you are safe (as in not driving if you aren't feeling right) then who knows?
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Return to Second Trimester HG