I'm in my 2nd tri! (About me: Steen)

Moms with HG in their 2nd trimester.

Moderators: JennyK, txmomma, Atsie, Cin

I'm in my 2nd tri! (About me: Steen)

Postby steennd » Jun 27, 2004 12:29 pm

I'm almost 15 weeks and I'm finally in my second trimester. But I wish someone would inform my body to start acting like I'm in my 2nd trimester! Actually, over the past couple weeks I have been feeling a bit better. I have not had any spiraling episodes that landed me in the hospital so that's a :D
Currently I am taking 4mg Zofran 2x/day. I really need to be taking more than that, probably at least 3x/day, but 68 in 30 days is the max my insurance will cover. I am "getting by" though.

I have a toddler son (1y) and a 3.5y daughter. I did not have HG with my first, only "normal" morning sickness in the first trimester. With my son, I had HG and it came so unexpectedly that I did not get much in the way of treatment until I had suffered for many weeks resulting ultimately in hospitalization,etc... It wasn't until after my 1st trimester that I got zofran and ended up taking that until 29 weeks.

My main problem right now is HORRID constipation. A few weeks ago, when I really wasn't eating much, I went 9 days without having a BM (sorry for the tmi). Now that I am eating, I go about every 4 days. This is a very unpleasant side effect of the zofran. It gets to the point where I think being so backed up is causing me more abdominal discomfort and then nausea. I am thinking about taking Colace- has anyone had success with that?

Thanks for listening!

Steen #3 due 12/04
steennd

Postby dwtegli » Jun 27, 2004 10:01 pm

Hi, I have been taking 2 100mg Colace daily for a couple of months now. It has helped immensely. I went from feeling like I was tearing something everytime I tried to have a bm to actually being able to have a bm without much effort. I only have one every couple of days, but at least it doesn't hurt so bad.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Re: I'm in my 2nd tri! (About me: Steen)

Postby MamaLily » Jun 27, 2004 11:22 pm

Steen -

Hi and welcome to the 2nd trimester! We're happy to have you here!

I'm sorry to hear that you can't get all the zofran you need. Have you tried talking with your insurance company? Or has your doctor talked with them? Will they pay for 8 mg pills and then you can split them in half to get more mg per day? How about IV zofran?

Just wondering if you have tried taking anything along with the zofran. You've probably already read the post about zofran/unisom/B6...have you tried any of those in combination with the zofran? Or meclizine? It would be great to get a little more relief!

Yes, colace is safe to take. I think there are other options as well...let me do a little bit of looking around.

Good luck to you and keep us posted. Hang in there!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby steennd » Jun 29, 2004 12:08 am

Thanks ladies!
I just bought my colace today and started it right up.
Anna- I have tried to do the 8mg thing but the insurance limit for that is 34 in 30 days -go figure. My doctor did have to talk to them anyway because their actual limit is 15 (4mg) in a 30 day period and I had to get authorization to get an increase in quantity limit up to their max of 68 pills. My copay is only $9/month, so I really shouldn't complain too much. IV zofran I received in the hospital, love that stuff, but at this point since the 8mg/day is keeping me stable- I doubt my dr will prescribe. And I really want to be done with IVs and shots for good!
I am taking B6 100mg/day. I hope it's doing me some good :roll:

Thanks again!
steennd

Postby MamaLily » Jun 29, 2004 3:18 pm

Steen -

Those insurance companies really have things figured out, don't they? :D 34 pills or 68 pills. That's too bad you can't get more a month. I have to say that my dh would have been so excited to only pay $9 a month for zofran. We paid many hundreds of dollars for zofran - even with good insurance coverage.

So, you are taking zofran and B6...have you thought about adding Unisom or Meclizine to the mix? If you are still feeling pretty sick, it might be worth the addition. Unisom works for a lot of HGers, and I've heard great things about meclizine as well.

Keep us posted on how you are feeling (and if the colace is working :wink: ) Hang in there!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Return to Second Trimester HG