5w3d and nausea starting pretty bad today

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

5w3d and nausea starting pretty bad today

Postby kitty_doc » Jun 19, 2004 10:00 am

Hello, I am new here, but not new to HG. I had moderate HG with my first two pg until 22wks and 18wks respectively. Then, I suffered with secondary infertility until I became pg with my third and had severe HG until 34 weeks with her. I now find myself happily, but unexpectedly pg and I am terrified of the HG. I was on Zofran for my third pg and it did help a lot--I had very little actual vomiting, but the nausea was horrendous and I did not find the Unisom or B6 to be particularly helpful. I am exhausted when I take the Unisom and the B6 seems to actually make my nausea worse. I have my RX for Zofran, but I don't want to start it until I have to--the constipation is horrible for me....I really am already feeling depressed about facing these next several months knowing what is ahead....My dd's are 16, 13 and 2, so I will have to stay busy even when I don't feel like it. Any thoughts or suggestions or just support is appreciated.
Julie aka Kitty Doc
Rebecca 5/17/88 mod HG 22wks
Jessica 5/24/91 mod HG 18wks
Kathryn 5/2/02 severe HG 34wks
Olivia EDD 2/14/05 mod HG from 7wks to now
kitty_doc
Welcomed Friend

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 21, 2004 10:39 am

Congratulations on your pg!

If you have a 16 and 13 year old, they should be able to understand that you need help with that 2 year old! You will recover a lot faster if they allow you to rest when you need to!

Ok, so B6 makes you feel more sick (have heard of that before), and Unisom makes you so tired! Have you tried Meclizine? Max dose per day is 75 mgs. (It's available OTC for $10.00 per 100 at most pharmacies - all you have to do is ask.) I wouldn't take this AND Unisom (which has been more widely tested than Meclizine), Unisom, incidentally can be broken down into small pieces and taken more regularly which reduces it's drowsy effects. Many Drs. have allowed their patients to take Meclizine when B6/Unisom wasn't an ideal choice. When are you going to be seeing your Dr?

The best thing to help you right now would be to immediately beginning to eat small frequent meals keeping your solids and liquids separate. Sometimes powdered ginger root (1,000 mgs per day in 500 or 250 mg capsules) is effective in those early HG stages. I did find the Powdered Ginger root more effective than the Meclizine early on - then miscarried the pg. Hydration is THE MOST important thing, and if you can get more liquids in every day now, you won't be starting off on the wrong foot immediately. Sleep is so important, and make sure you are never hungry, never full. Get into the habit before HG sets in. How are you feeling now?

Keep me updated.

Hugs hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to First Trimester HG