Zofran/B6/Unisom

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Zofran/B6/Unisom

Postby nancyon3rd » Jun 17, 2004 8:16 pm

nancy here, with some more questions. I stopped taking the Zofran last week because it wasn't working for the vomitting anymore. Should I restart it? I started on the Unisom/B6 today, just a few minutes ago and I am praying for some relief. I also have a question about the Unisom. There were two different kinds- the tablets and the gel tabs. The ingredients listed were different, but I remembered taking the regular tabs in my second pregnancy. Any advice, or does it make a difference?
I've chucked everything I've tried today, including water.
Thanks,
Nancy
nancyon3rd

Postby RebeccaM » Jun 18, 2004 1:53 am

I'm not one of the in-house experts on this, but here's what I do know:

1- You can take up to 32 mgs. of Zofran a day, wether it's 8 mg tabs or 4 mg tabs.

2- Being hydrated is very important when taking Zofan. It works best when you are NOT dehydrated...but obviously hydration is difficult when you're puking up even water. So maybe try getting some IV hydration.

3- Consistency is also important when taking Zofran. If you take it sporadically, or only when you actually start puking, it will not be as effective.

4- When taken with the unisom/B6 combination, Zofran can be more effective.

5- The regular Unisom tabs are the right ones to take, NOT the gel tabs.

If I got any of that wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. Hopefully some of this info will help you. I hope things take a turn for the better for you soon.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 18, 2004 10:47 am

Should you restart Zofran? Well, depends. Have you ever tried Zofran once your vomiting was under control, you were well-hydrated, and the Zofran was staying down? Did you ever try the highest dose? If it's a no to any of those questions, then yeah, it's worth trying again. The answer also depends on whether you have tried and failed the options. B6/Unisom, Meclizine? Reglan and Phenergan? Sometimes Zofran isn't the best drug, and most times it isn't worth using on it's own at all! Paired with others it is much more worth while.

Fighting HG isn't about finding the "right pill". Fighting HG is about finding the right balance of things that will make you feel like you can get through the rest of it - to where you can endure. It's about layering treatments and foods and sleep and liquids and drugs that all work to help reduce nausea and vomiting, and letting them all add up to coping with HG well enough to endure it.

Read all about the Zofran/B6/Unisom in the post I finally added to this forum. It should help you determine what options you have left with those drugs.

Huge hugs, and keep us posted, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to First Trimester HG