hI

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

hI

Postby OZNOG » Sep 14, 2005 3:55 am

:(

Hi - my name is Karen - I am 38 years old and live in Birmingham England. I have had 3 HG Pregnancies - the first resulting in my son who is know 5 years old - I had trouble concieving after it took us 2 years to get pregnant the 2nd time but unfortunatley I had a mmc at 14 weeks - we decided to try again - another year passed and then I got pregnant again only to have another mmc at 10 weeks - The Hg has got worse with each pregnancy - All have been severe - with my first I lost 2 half stone and was basically in hospital all the time - but I also had bad depression with it - never suffered with that before - and since then I have bouts of it - We have decided not to try again - we would like to have aother baby as I NEVER wanted by son to be an only child and it hurts everyday that he will be - I feel that I have let him down and my husband and that I am not a proper MOM and Wife - I am not brave enough - If I new that I would defenitly have a baby at the end of the Pregnancy then I would consider trying again - but that cannot be guaranteed - also I have no support only that of my Husband - he has been great but my parents are not alive (mom was in my first preg and was a great help) motherand farther-inlaw NO HELP AT ALL - (more of a hindrance - saying stupid things) Husband only child - She keeps saying that I am like her (she did not want anymore and one is enough) I AM NOTHING LIKE HER ALWAYS WANTED A BIG FAMILY - sorry getting of the track - BROTHER lives far away from us -

In the UK - the support you get from doctors and hosp is very little - when I was in hospital the 1st time they just kept saying that is was in my head and had no sympathy with me and put me next to the kitchen were the smell of food made me worse.

The last twice the hg did not respond to any meds - I was given injections and lots of med inc a new one that they said I could only have while in hosp because it was so expensive - but that did not work either.

I have read all your posts and I admire you for trying again.

Hope you all feel better soon. - got to go (at work)

Love

Karen
K HEMMING
OZNOG

Postby Kadinga » Sep 14, 2005 8:43 am

Karen,

I'm so sorry to hear that you have had such an awful time. HG is a horrid monster, and you sound like you have had the very worst of it.

There are a lot of other UK ladies here, and I'm sure that some of them will be replying soon. They will, no doubt, understand your feelings about your local hospitals. I just thought I'd pop in to make you welcome.

I look forward to getting to know you

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby Dannika » Sep 14, 2005 9:00 am

Hi Karen, Im from Sussex and am currently 24 weeks pregnant with my 5th pregnancy. Ive had 2 miscarriages, 1 termination, from hg and have 1 daughter aged 6, all of which I suffered hg. With my daughter the pregnancy was so awful, I was first admitted into hospital at 5 weeks and more or less stayed there until she was born. I knew I couldnt go through that again so thanks to this website I really did my homework! I was very lucky, the consultant who looked after me with my daughter was very supportive, We went and saw him privately before we had even conceived, so we knew we would get his undivided attention armed with piles of paperwork that I had printed off from this website, with info about zofran and different plans, he really listened.
The only thing that stopped the sickness before was steroids, no anti sickness drug helped.
I knew for me to be able to consider a pregnancy I had to be sure I had his support and we had a plan of action in place.
We agreed that I would start on a low dose of steroids at 5 weeks and take it from there.
True to his word as soon as I was 5 weeks I went on the steroids, Ive only had 1 stay in hospital at 7 weeks when along side the steroids he put me on zofran. Ive not had a great time, believe me the steroids have side affects! Ive already put on 2 and a half stone! there has been days where I havent been able to get out of bed, more to do with the tiredness and headaches caused by the medication, but compared to my daughter this has been a miracle!
I now have to start coming off the steroids as they are affecting my blood pressue and its from now on they can affect the babys growth and I admit Im terrified of coming off of them! but I know I have to try.
After I had my daughter I was adament I was never going to go through it again, but with the right support it is possible.
We know we are having a boy who we have named Ben, I first felt him move at 16 weeks and have really felt a bond of love with him already which never happened with my daughter because I resented her for making me so ill.
There is light and hope, believe me! Im proof!
xxx
Dannika
HG PG 1: miscarried at 9 wks 1999
HG PG 2: "lauren" born 10-07-99
HG PG 3: termination at 9 wks 2001
HG PG 4: miscarried at 7 wks 2004
baby "Ben" due 7th Jan 2006
Dannika

Postby Dannika » Sep 14, 2005 9:03 am

ps. with my daughter I was told it was all in my head too but its been 7 years since I was in hospital with her and I have noticed this time that this illness is much more recognised and I have been treated so much better.
I also made the point about how much zofran costs the NHS for me to use in pregnancy, compared to how much it costs them for me to be in a hospital ward for months on end its nothing!
You do have to be pushy but its worth it!
Dannika
HG PG 1: miscarried at 9 wks 1999
HG PG 2: "lauren" born 10-07-99
HG PG 3: termination at 9 wks 2001
HG PG 4: miscarried at 7 wks 2004
baby "Ben" due 7th Jan 2006
Dannika

Postby bibliojo » Sep 14, 2005 6:28 pm

Just wanted to say welcome to you Karen and also a welcome back to Dannika. I'm so sorry for both of your losses. How heartbreaking. :cry: You UK ladies really have a tough time getting adequate care...and Karen, that's so awful that you don't have a supportive family to help you through it. I hope that you will find some peace with your decision, but I know it can't be easy. Huge hugs to you.

Dannika, I'm so glad that this pregnancy has been better for you and you have a much more understanding and knowlegable doctor! Hang in there - you're over half way! :D

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby MummytoLottie » Sep 21, 2005 6:53 am

Hi Karen,

Sorry to hear about your experiences and sorry about your loss. My name is Lucy, I am also in the uk (sussex) and had a hg preg in 2003 resulting in my daughter Lottie. I also spent alot of time in hospital with that pregnancy and felt (at times) that some of the staff there didn't believe me or support me when I needed it. Fortunately it helped that I had a supportive family/friends. I have recently joined this site -well more actively..as I did originally come when I was pregnant but was unable to spend time online due to sickness so never actually met/'spoke' to anyone-probably a mistake. Anyway now I feel ready to try again so I decided to join and actively meet people etc in the hope of making friends/support etc. I have found it is a very friendly and active group and has the benefit of lots of peoples experiences and things that they have tried etc. Also from other countries although I sometimes find it a bit of confusing with all the different medications (names of)
It is a shame about the lack of support that you have but hopefully you can gain some here :)

xxx
MummytoLottie

Postby helen-l-a » Sep 21, 2005 7:38 am

Hi Karen

I am so sorry that you have had such terrible experiences. I agree that we do get a rough deal in the UK, but on the plus side, if you have a good GP then things are better than they used to be....I was in hospital here in Wales (not originally from here), the treatment I received was second to none. It does tend to vary from area to area.. I know that the other Helen, KimberlyAnns Mummy, lives in Peterborough and she had terrible treatment from both her GP and the hospital. My sil to be lives in the area too and Peterborough Hospital didn't do her any favours either.. but she didn't have HG, it's just a crap hospital. I have come across only one doctor here who has been less than helpful and understanding. I have come to the conclusion though that I am one of the lucky ones.....

It must have been made so much harder only having your dh for support. I still marvel at the rubbish that people come out with to others on this site and also the general ineptitude of some of the members families. I have also drawn to the conclusion that you either have the full support of a family member or you don't and if not you get crackered left right and centre by them and then, much worse for you they came out with some stupid comment like you are like them!!! :roll: .. That part of your post made me so angry, you are nothing like her by the sounds of things in more ways than one!...

I really hope that you find some help/hope on these boards. There are several boards that you may or may not have seen, if others have not already suggested them... there is one for loss and one for the long term effects of HG. Those are just off the top of my head.

I hope you will keep posting and so that we can help you in any way we can.

Take care

Helenxxx
Mum to.....
Luke 1990 not a HG pregnancy.
Jonathan 1994 not a HG pregnancy
Emily 1998 HG pregnancy!
Thomas Bailey 2005 HG pregnancy

helen-l-a
HG Expert

Return to UK Mothers