hg in the uk

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

hg in the uk

Postby paul » Jul 04, 2004 10:28 am

Does anyone know where to get help in the uk. Our doctors know very little and we have had no real support in first pregnancy. We're in our second, 6 weeks in and things are not looking good.
paul

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 04, 2004 11:46 am

Paul,

Where are you and your wife from in the UK? I have a list of HGers I am compiling with contact info from women who have posted here at this website in the last year. There are a lot of women from the UK who haven't yet signed in to this new forum format. You can post where you're from here, or email me privately by clicking on my "Ivydragon" loggin name and emailing me through my profile. I can check to see if anyone is from your area and if they have a good Dr. they could refer you to.

I am familiar with enough UK HG cases to know that you are many times stuck with the Dr. that you are stuck with, and I hope that you can try to be proactive and ask for a Dr. on the next level up. Someone that will take your wife more seriously. I know that many of the drugs prescribed in the U.S. are not prescribed as often in the UK, but that doesn't mean they are not available at all. Zofran is available, just not usually prescribed.

You can post here, or post in the first trimester folder about your wife's HG from her first pg (HG usually follows the same pattern from pg to pg) and what treatments were given, and we can get a better idea of where she is at.

Small frequent meals (cravings if she's having any are great for food choices) liquids and solids separate by 1/2 an hour, and getting her on some oral B6 could be really helpful at this initial stage before she gets into a Dr. Never hungry, never full. Trying to keep her hydrated is important. Focus on rotating foods (if she'll allow). Nutrition isn't nearly as important as things that stay down (calories). Ask her what she wants to eat by asking about food "categories" ~ salty, sweet, crunchy, bland, soft, spicy, etc., because the mere mention of "cheese, chicken, grape juice, etc." could turn her off of a food.

Rest is important, so you know, smells are horrendous, but being alone unless by request is sometimes horribly isolating - minutes tick by like they are an hour each. She'll feel guilty for not being able to help with house work and your child (2nd HG, right?) so try to minimize that if you can. There is a Father's forum for you to help with coping - my husband moderates, and I'll make sure he gets on there today. Feel free to ask questions anywhere. We really appreciate supportive husbands, and all they do for us! We're here to help you and your wife.

Take care and please keep us up to date.

Andy (Andrea)
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby Traci in Japan » Jul 04, 2004 8:26 pm

Hi Paul and Andy

Paul, I hope you and your wife find someone to talk to soon.

I know there was a discussion on HG in the UK a while back (Andy it was started by Claira CRT22 on Feb 1st. and Natbat27 Natasha was on at the time). Claira was looking into home IVs although Natasha was sure it wasn't a good (cheap) option. They would both be third tri. around now so should have some recent first hand info.

Paul, as Andy said, please try to get back to us with details of treatments tried. Maybe we can find a route to get some medications to you. The self help tips on Blooming awful are a good first step, but as this is your second hg experience you may have tried them all. Please feel free to post as many specific questions as you can think of. Between us we may have some ideas.

On the link below is information (from this site) about what to ask a doctor.
http://www.helpher.org/mothers/referral ... doctor.php

Here is the link to the medcications page
http://www.helpher.org/hyperemesis-grav ... ations.php

Here is the link to the blooming awful drug information page which will help you find the correct drug name in the UK.
http://www.hyperemesis.org.uk/ (for this site you need to look under drug information)

You might also be interested in the algorithm from the US or Canada as something to talk over with your doctor.

http://www.motherisk.org/img/ClinChal_Fig1.gif

http://www.acog.org/from_home/publicati ... 9-04-1.cfm

http://www.hyperemesis.org/health-profe ... otocol.php

You may have read the ones from this site . Sorry, but there is a lot of information to get through so I hope the links direct you to something useful.

As a long shot, medications you may not be able to find may be available in other parts of Europe. I got diclectin over-the -counter from Spain. I had a friend from England there on holidays and another friend who is Spanish organised relatives to send them. Maybe you know someone??

Please stay in touch
Traci in Japan
Australian, three boys (hg pregnancies and births in Japan)
Traci in Japan
Welcomed Friend

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 04, 2004 10:00 pm

Traci - thanks for that input - found message 2390.17 at HuGS that seems to be what you are talking about.

Paul - I emailed both of the gals Traci was referring to see if one can email me back w/ an ok to share their email address for a contact in the UK.

Hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby mammaclare » Jul 04, 2004 10:38 pm

Have you tried this page?

http://www.bloomingawful.co.uk

It is a UK support board. I am in the US so I have never needed it, but recalled that some women have used the resources before.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby Natalie » Jul 05, 2004 7:47 am

Hi All
Both myself and someone else responded to Paul in the pregnant/new to forum folder - hopefully they will be of some help.
The lady who runs the www.bloomingawful.co.uk website said she was emigrating to South Africa and can't run the board anymore. She was looking for someone else to take over but I didn't hear anything so I'm guessing nobody has so far. It hasn't been updated for over a year. There is still some great info. on it though, and 'buddies' although they also may be out of date by now.
Natalie
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby Traci in Japan » Jul 13, 2004 6:16 am

Hi Paul

I have just managed to loose a post from Scott who is also in the UK with a fiance facing HG. I have sent him a private message so hope that he knows about my stuff up and will pop back in to say hi. I thought that you two may wish to contact each other to exchange ideas and tactics for dealing with the UK helath system. Scott has also posted in the family and friends forum so if you go there you can reply on line or through the private contact.

I hope your wife is doing better. Please feel free to come here often to discuss how things are going.
Traci in Japan
Australian, three boys (hg pregnancies and births in Japan)
Traci in Japan
Welcomed Friend

Re: hg in the uk

Postby Anne d. » Jul 18, 2004 9:19 pm

paul wrote:Does anyone know where to get help in the uk. Our doctors know very little and we have had no real support in first pregnancy. We're in our second, 6 weeks in and things are not looking good.

Paul, my girl is 12 weeks and has been in hospital and is improving somewhat-I urge you to read up all u can about HG, print some stuff and bug your doctor big-time .Don't feel u are being a nuisance. This is not a common condition and I have to say that my daughter's mid wife and doc are not showing enough interest ,in my opinion,but I am on their case.
I will be taking her to her GP tomorrow and insisting that she is checked out for dehydration/ketonesand getting advice on anything to help,such as some kind of build up drink which can be prescribed.
Have u tried three finger pinch of salt and teaspoon of sugar dissolved in hot water ,drink hot or cold? Good if it can be got down.
It is very frustrating,I agree, trying tofind medics that have much of a clue about HG. We have to do the running.
I am the mum of kate who is suffering from HG for the second time
Anne d.

Return to UK Mothers