Allergy Testing in the UK anyone???

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

Allergy Testing in the UK anyone???

Postby Xphile_mo » Sep 07, 2007 2:17 am

Just wondering if any of you know how I would go about getting Alyssa allergy tested?? I don't know if it's something I ask the GP to refer me for, or whether the dietician can help with that and I think it's time we seriously looked into it further.

One of the moms in the paed ward when Alyssa was in recommended it to me and said she wished she'd done it years earlier as her little girl was now 5, but - stupidly - I didn't think to ask how she got to the allergist! :roll:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kendra has been great and given me lots of advice, but obviously has no idea how our medical side works

Thanks in advance (and in hope) x x x
Moira x x x

Xphile_mo
HG Expert

Postby sarahkate » Sep 08, 2007 12:33 am

Hi Moira,

I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but...

It's a growing (as in, small) specialty in the UK. I did my paeds at Alder Hey, the biggest childrens' hospital in the UK, and there was just one consultant. I expect there will be one in either Glasgow or Edinburgh, but maybe not both.

Allergy medicine does come under general medicine - I found this link on the Royal College of Physicians website

http://www.bsaci.org/index.html

It looks like there is a clinic in Glasgow but they may be an adult clinic - I am not sure how it works.

I would go through your GP for a referral. Because it is a growing specialty, it is not always well regulated, and there are some unaccredited people that offer "allergy testing". Your GP may want to start you with a general paediatrician (who she has already seen??) and as their opinion, which may get a little frustrating for you. I think that BSACI site may be the place to start.

Hope this makes some sense, it's silly o'clock and I'm tired!!!

Sarah xxx
sarahkate
HG Diva

Postby Xphile_mo » Sep 08, 2007 5:06 am

Thanks - it's a start! :D

She's seen several paeds so far! :roll: And to put her purely neocate for the next few days, then add in baby rice for the rest of the week. If she isn't improving, we've to get her seen again by the paed for a reflux review. Could always ask then!
Moira x x x

Xphile_mo
HG Expert

Postby mandy » Sep 08, 2007 5:30 am

Hi Moira,

I was allergy tested as a child. It was done through my GP referral to the hospital (we are lucky to have really great major hospitals in Bristol). I definitely advise going through the GP.

Good luck!

Mandy x
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Return to UK Mothers