anyone else in the middle of it right now? UKers or portugal

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

anyone else in the middle of it right now? UKers or portugal

Postby Clara » Aug 11, 2007 3:01 pm

Hello everyone

I am back again - posted my rather long medical exploits yesterday and just wondered if there was anyone in the UK at the moment suffering - would be nice to have someone to phone when I get back in early september...

I am almost 9 weeks (EDD 17.03.08 - my birthday!) and not great, having had all my med prescribed early I am managing to curb throwing up to once a day and even manage some days vom free! However I am constantly dozy and stuck in bed most days just about managing a shower - has anyone else found that they desperately want a shower as they smell but its the biggest trigger for throwing up??

I have two girls Maia is 4 (my main aim at the mo is to really try and make sure i am there to see her into school on her first day - here's hoping!), Leonor is 3 and can still be a pickle but gives the most gorgeous hugs that have just been lovely. We have (well she starts tomorrow) an aupair from Portugal who will come back to the UK with us so hopefully that will work out well, we've met her and she is really nice.

bye for now
Clara
Clara

Postby Natalie » Aug 11, 2007 4:21 pm

Hi Clara,

Maria is in 1st tri at the moment about 11w along. She is in Wales. I will pm her and get her to come and see your thread!

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby mrsj » Aug 12, 2007 6:45 am

Hi Clara

As Natalie says I am almost 12 weeks along - would be happy to talk with you - I am showering every 2 or 3 days with wet wipes in between. feeling awful! Hope you have a good day today.
Maria
mrsj

hi Maria

Postby Clara » Aug 12, 2007 1:59 pm

Nice to hear someone is in the middle of it too. I am 9 weeks today and am half way through a 6 week holiday in Portugal. I am half Portuguese and my parents live here and we have a house near theirs so we thought it would be a good idea. On the whole it has been as the kids just play and swim all day long in the pool and are very easy to care for but I am not sure what to do medically although my dad is great at that kind of thing. Also my husband can't be here the whole time and I miss him as he is the only person I can be entirely truthful about how I feel and not feel like I am just whingeing...

Have you got any other kids? I can't believe I am doing this for the third time and planned (number 2 was unplanned and I struggled with the fact that I didn't really want another baby at the time and I felt so rough I couldn't take care of my eldest - it was not a good 6 months, but she is a real joy was a really easy baby and although a bit of a terrible three year old now she was much easier to love than I thought possible whilst I felt so wretched)...

I am glad to hear I am not the only one whose personal hygiene is suffering! My teeth feel like there is a layer of grime attached to them! This is really the pits.

What medication are you on? I am taking metoclopramide regularly and then sometimes cyclizine (at night as it really knocks me out) and proclorperazine although that has nasty side effects like disturbing my sleep and making me even more constipated which I didn't think was possible. I am also on various homeopathic medications some of which are fab but none of which make me feel completely better for very long. I am hoping that they will be very effective when I start feeling a bit better but still not good - usually for me around 18 weeks.

Anyway really glad to hear from you, I will be back in the UK in September and would love to call you if that is ok as I am sure talking to someone who is sick would be great - well you know what I mean!

Hope you've had a good day - mine has been average with bouts of sickness and a 2 hour period where I felt no sickness just constipated and a very sore tummy. I have done a bit too much today - our aupair has started today, so I will probably pay for it tomorrow!

bye for now
Clara
Clara

hello again

Postby Clara » Aug 12, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi Maria

I have just read your earlier entries in the new to forum - you poor thing. It is so hard the first time because docs are just so anti giving you anything until you have proven (what feels at times that you are likely to cost them more by ending up in hospital) that you are so ill as to need drugs.

Go armed with a list of drugs and just tell them that you know these drugs are safe and that you need something now. I don't know how big your docters practice is but I always found that GP Registrars (gp's still training and doing a training stint at your surgery) were much more willing to shell out medication as they were more used to working in a hospital environment where obviously meds re used more regularly. When I eventually got admitted to hospital with my second pregnancy I went to see a GP registrar who was filming all of her appointments that day as part of her training and I literally burst into tears said I'd kept nothing down for days and was so ill I couldn't bear it anymore and she sent me off to hospital all the time asking me if I wanted her to stop the videorecorder - I couldn't have cared less! Also if you do make it into hospital try and print off a hospital protocol before you go as I was just fobbed off the first time and left after 3 days much more rehydrated but with only one drug and was back in within 10 days dehydrated again and left with a much better array of drugs.

It might seem impossible but if you can afford it or have private medical care ask your gp if she can recommend seeing any consultant obstetricians at your local hospital either urgently on the NHS (if that is possible) or otherwise privately. That is how I have managed to come away on holiday with all my drugs with me although it cost me £155 for the pleasure! Only consultants can prescribe Odanestron (Zofran) in the UK so seeing a consultant is one step closer to getting it although they will try all the other drugs first.

All I can say is bear with it, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, all the best and I hope your gp is more willing to help this time.

I don't know if you are worried about your baby but mine were 8lb3oz and 9lb3oz and both healthy so I think its true that the baby just takes what it needs as I have no idea how I managed to even provide a 10th of the nutrition they might have needed until after 25 weeks.

The only other thing to say (sorry I do go on a bit) is that don't expect the drugs to be a miracle cure. I am still throwing up even with all the drugs but mainly once a day only however the drugs zonk you out so you still can't do what you were used to doing and also they don't help with the other symptoms like sore stomachs from throwing up etc

I hope you enjoy your 12 week scan when you get it and everything is ok - we paid for an extra private scan after the 20 week one as they cheered me up a bit. We also found out what we were having as it helped a bit to think this was a little person inside me - maybe it just helped to swear at it knowing what it was a bit more!

bye for now
Clara
PS don't worry about replying - you could always get your husband who sounds great to print off replies???
Clara

Return to UK Mothers