here again, well preped medically, v long sorry

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

here again, well preped medically, v long sorry

Postby Clara » Aug 10, 2007 3:08 pm

Dear all

This might be shorter than intended but I was about 2/3 the way through a mammoth post and the website clicked into action and all my post disappeared!

Anyway basically I am back, almost 9 weeks pregnant into 3rd preg with HG and this time I am more prepared. Well I hope so anyway.

I was actually pregnant in March but had a very early mc (quite relieved I'm afraid as wasn't going to feel sick!) and at that time went to see my gp. I am at a multi-doctor practise and made a list of who I would see in what order. My first choice is a doctor who is very sensible but not very carefree with prescribing medication so I was a bit doubtful but I like her the most so off I went! She was great and prescribed me stemetil and cyclizine and told the name of very approachable consultant who works out the West Middlesex Hospital. She said I could make an appointment through the NHS but by the time it came through it would probably be too late so to try and see her privately if I could. We then lost that baby...

As soon as I found I was pregnant this time I made an appointment with the consultant Ms Joanna Girling (privately at the Hammersmith hospital)who was just amazing. It cost me £155 but was worth every penny. I took along the list of medications I had been previously prescribed and she went down the list and told me how each medication worked and which ones were best to alternate. Basically her protocol is:

use Ranitidine 150mgs twice daily to avoid oesophagul bleeding
    use glycerine suppositories if I miss a bowel movement due to constipation
    use prochlorperazine 3 times a day and cyclizine if necessary
    use Metoclopramide 3 times a day alternating with the prochlorperazine/cyclizing

She then said that if that didn't work they would try Odanestron (Zofran!) and lastly steroids! Well I almost fell off my chair at this point but it gets better.... She also said that at West Midddlesex they try and treat HG without admissions by administering IV fluids as an outpatient for 3 hours! The first time you have to go through A&E and there after you can go straight to the Early Pregnancy Unit! Bliss. Ms Girling also said I'd be more than welcome to see her her Obstetrics Medicine clinic at the West Mid on Thursday mornings.

I then went back to my gp's clinic and my lovely gp was on holiday so I had to plump for one of the other gp's who she had originally recommended. I have to say that this other gp seemed a bit non-plussed when I asked her for 7 weeks worth of meds (from the list above) as I was about to go on a 6 week holiday! But bless her I popped back into the surgery later that day and the prescription was there waiting for me in its entirety - GREAT. That's where my love affair with the NHS took a slight nose dive as West Middlesex turned down my request to give birth there as I am (slightly) out of their catchment area and they no longer accept any requests outside the area (they used to) due to a recent Trust decision that the midwifery team is trying to fight! Hence I am at another hospital where I am not sure what is on offer but I do know that they won't turn me away from A&E so I will just present there at West Mid if necessary and see what they say!

So I am now in Portugal half way through the holiday (my parents live here and we have a house here and the kids love it) away from the NHS and boy am I missing it as the healthcare here is just terrible, I keep trying to make an appointment with a consultant here and can only get appointments for September! We are just trying to find out what I need to do if I feel I need to go into hospital. I am really hoping that I will manage without, although I am vomiting most days it tends to be only once a day with the medication and although I am spending an increasing number of days in bed feeling miserable I think I am managing the vomiting if not the nausea quite well. I am also in contact with my homeopath weekly in the uk who is prescribing me various remedies with varying effects on the nausea but I think helpful mentally.

We have found an aupair to start with us here and go back with us so so far all is going to plan - wouldn't it be lovely though to prepare for a pregnancy that is just pleasant from nice to finish :roll:

I have Joanna Girling's phone numbers if anyone would like them and I do think that although my care has been great it is only because they have taken me seriously this time as I was admitted last time and when faced with someone who knows what they are talking about the NHS has been great. No good though if you are new to HG or even severe HG (as in my case between my first and second pregnancies) and don't know what you need.

Hope this hasn't been too long
Clara
PS Will post in the first trimester forum too
Clara

Return to UK Mothers