Odour free products in the UK?

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in the UK to discuss HG and pregnancy. Each part of the world has unique health care systems and challenges. We hope this helps you connect with others who can be the best support for you! Don't forget - we always welcome your participation in our online research and your help as a volunteer or by submitting a HG-friendly doctor/consultant.

Moderators: Natalie, Moderators

Odour free products in the UK?

Postby Kaz72 » Aug 08, 2007 3:32 pm

Hiya,
I'm in the TTcing stage at the moment , but remember from the last time that the smells of certain things made me very sick.I'm looking for a washing machine liquid or powder with as little smell as possible, plus showergels, soap, shampoos, moisturisers etc.Basically anything you can think of with little or no odours thats available in the Uk or Ireland.
Kaz72
Welcomed Friend

Postby Xphile_mo » Aug 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Sorry - don't have any advice for you, just thinking WOW, what a great idea!!!! :D :D I remember all the smells now with shudders *shiver* :verygreen: and never would have thought to look for odourless products if I decided to TTC again!!!

I really hope you get some answers, and you get some good news soon too! :hugs:
Moira x x x

Xphile_mo
HG Expert

Postby mandy » Aug 08, 2007 4:25 pm

Hi Kaz,

Well, I struggled with these things to and basically ended up going from one product to another until they became intolerable. Washing powder was a huge problem and still brings back those memories now. (Although I actually did little washing whilst hging).

I think the 'simple' range has little odour (although with a hg nose you can detect strong smells in everything!). However, I remember finding fruit smells ie apple soap or strawberry shower gel etc, much more tolerable than perfume fragrances. Also, on this topic, I found childrens' fruit flavoured toothpaste worked better for me than mint when I could brush.

Really, though, I could smell everything so it was swapping things that kept me going, when they became too much IYKWIM.

Mandy x
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby Kaz72 » Aug 08, 2007 4:42 pm

Xphile_mo wrote: I remember all the smells now with shudders *shiver* :verygreen: and never would have thought to look for odourless products if I decided to TTC again!!!

I know its awful isn't it?Plus, when you're feeling so ill, you don't have the energy to go shopping to find less smelly products and the smells of the shops alone would kill you :sickfast:

Thanks for those tips Mandy,
I know what you mean a bout doing very little washing, but my last pregnancy was during the colder months, so our washing was drying on the radiators, you can imagine how the smell was amplified :verygreen:
I'll have a test of the Simple range in Boots and see what I think.
Kaz72
Welcomed Friend

Postby Natalie » Aug 09, 2007 6:49 am

Hi Kaz,

I also had the same problem. Even now, I still can't stand the smell of Bold Washing poweder 4 years on. It amkes me want to heave. I

I spent about an hour once (whilst prepping for ttc) looking at every product under the sun in Tescos trying to find something odour free. I couldn't find it. Mandy does make some great suggestions re: Simple range. If I were you, I would buy a little bit of a few different things before splurging on a whole odour free range only to find when youa re pg you can't tolerate it. I'm pretty sure can get some stuff over the web - I'll have a rummage and see what I can find.

Btw, I think odour free isn't necessarily 'odour free' iykwim - maybe it just means it hasn't been perfumed in any way. So like Mandy says an HGer with their usual talent of 'nose of a bloodhound' will pick it up from 50 paces. But it definitely worth a try... I'll see what I can find.

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby Natalie » Aug 09, 2007 7:08 am

Btw, it's interesting what Mandy said about her finding citrus products mroe tolerable because citrus can work really well for some HGers e.g. cold citrus squash to drink.

Here are some things I found:

With regard to Laundry, there is a lady's comment on the link below where she says her clothes came out odour free using an eco ball with water only to wash clothes; see http://www.grownupgreen.org.uk/features/?id=802

I inlcude the link below because if you aren't able to get in the shower or bath, this product may help.
http://www.opal-london.com/products_inf ... 5724C36%7D

I know on occasion, I couldn't stand the smell of myself and I did get in the bath only to throw up in it. But at least I was (mostly) clean :D

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby mandy » Aug 09, 2007 7:12 am

Oh, the dreaded Bold!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never used it since early hg with number 1!
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby sarahkate » Aug 09, 2007 7:41 am

The other thoughts I had were that there's probably a Nivea wash that doesn't smell, and the E45 shower gel/ bath oil was what I used - hardly any scent, and good for the itchy stretchy tummy. I spent hours in the bath, it is my calmest place.

Good luck with number 2, remember we are here for you.

Sarah x
sarahkate
HG Diva

Postby Kaz72 » Aug 09, 2007 1:58 pm

Thanks Guys, I'm going to check put those eco balls because the washing detergent smell was the worst when my HG was very bad.
The other very bad smell was the leather settee, I tried a putting a throw over it the last time, but then the throw smelt bad aswell :!:

Karen x
Kaz72
Welcomed Friend

Postby Xphile_mo » Aug 09, 2007 3:28 pm

It may not be the easiest thing to use (or the most attractive!) if you're being sick, but have you thought about using one of those nose clips that swimmers wear to stop the water going up their noses???

If you can stand to wear it, maybe it would help keep the smells out?!?!

(just a thought - haven't tried it!) :roll:
Moira x x x

Xphile_mo
HG Expert

Postby Kaz72 » Aug 09, 2007 3:40 pm

Its funny you should say that because I did wear a face mask to do some cleaning the last time :lol: (I'm a dental nurse, so we have them at work).I don't think my DD would let me do that this time, she'd pull it off like she does if I'm wearing sunglasses.
Kaz72
Welcomed Friend

Postby Kaz72 » Aug 11, 2007 9:16 am

I went out and bought some Simple products which are all fragrance fee, I got the shampoo, conditioner & moisturiser.I also ordered an eco-ball from eBay for the washing machine and got a crystal type of stick deodrant with no odour.Even if I find I can still smell these things when in the middle of HG, I'll still use them up afterwards.
Thanks for all your advice everyone.Wish me luck! :)
Kaz72
Welcomed Friend

Postby Xphile_mo » Aug 11, 2007 2:50 pm

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :D :D :D

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Moira x x x

Xphile_mo
HG Expert

Postby Natalie » Aug 13, 2007 2:48 am

So glad you managed to find some stuff.

GL! and do let us know how you get on!

Love Natalie, x