I posted this on the Dr. Phil Message Board

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

I posted this on the Dr. Phil Message Board

Postby *my3sons* » Apr 14, 2007 7:01 pm

Just wanted to send another note of thanks to Dr. Phil and the gang. How absolutely healing it is to have another venue to reach other women in need of answers and help in dealing with HG. It is also very freeing, I must admit, to respond to those that are demonstrating a clear need to be educated. Some of the rhetoric/opinion regarding this disease that is being put forth is exactly what causes the shame and desperation that many HG women face. Ignorance and lack of empathy can be a very dangerous mix. I myself, am seeing the fruit of having borne this cross. I can't imagine any other thing in my life that would have caused me to stop and put myself in another person's shoes before opening my mouth. So, I almost look on this disease as a gift in some regards. Yes, I do harbor the emotional pain of pregnancy loss and the forced choice to end my childbearing. But, the shame and hopelessness is waning and the bigger, more important battle is beginning; the battle of bringing this disease to the forefront where good science can kick it's butt.

To those struggling with HG right now: Visit the HER website. There are treatment options discussed that your doctor may not be familiar with that you can suggest. There is help with finding doctors familiar with treating this disease. And, there is love and support from women who will understand what you are going through.

To those supporting an HG mom: Visit the HER website. There are suggestions on how to cope and how best to support your HG'ing loved one. This would include tips on advocating on her behalf as most HG women are too weak to fight for themselves.

To those that have loved and lost a baby either through miscarriage, stillbirth, or termination: Visit the HER website. There are many other moms in your shoes. You will not be judged. You will be loved, supported, and given hope. I myself did not find this website until after my last pregnancy and subsequent miscarriage. I see myself healing and moving forward, not forgetting but healing.

To medical professionals: Thank you for wanting the best for your patients. Please be on the lookout for possible HG cases amongst your patients. These mommies are counting on you. There is a folder on the HER site that is private for doctors where you can go and discuss treatments and such without interruption. We will appreciate your time spent there more than you will ever know.

To the HER founders: May God bless you mightily for reaching out beyond yourselves. You are much loved by many women and their families.

Link to HER:
http://www.helpher.org/index.php

Here's believing for a brighter future!

Amy
(Hope I was correct on my info for the medical professionals.)
my3sons
3X HG Survivor
loved and lost 2005
*my3sons*
HG Expert

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil