Thank you is not enough!

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

Thank you is not enough!

Postby slowlearner » Apr 04, 2007 5:15 pm

Dear Dr. Phil,

When I found out I was pregnant for the first time, I was more than excited! I daydreamed about it every minute of the day and couldn't even wait to just be pregnant! At 5 1/2 weeks I started to feel pretty sick. At 6 wks. exactly I woke up in the morning, crawled to the bathroom, layed on the floor....and didn't leave for the next 12 weeks. After the constant vomiting subsided, I struggled with kidney stones (Most likely a complication of the dehydration) for the rest of my pregnancy. My pregnancy ended in an emergency c-section which ultimately was easier than the entire 9 months had been.

The hardest part about it was that it went undiagnosed, as many people are VERY unaware of HG. Everyone around me were completely confused, as was I. Pregnancy wasnn't supposed to be like this. I had been sicker than I ever care to remember, and no one really could understand. I endured endless coments about "Just trying to get attention" or being "lazy" or "Milking it." I couldn't get anyone to take me seriously, and I suffered not only physically, but mentally as well.

This is my 3rd. HG pregnancy, and I am so grateful for the knowledge and support this time around. I now know that there really is something wrong with my body, and that I'm not just "milking" it. I have been able to get help and support to get me through. However, there is not enough information out there about this disease. People still do not understand. It is imperative for people with HG to have the support of others to make it through. Thank you, Dr. Phil, for getting the word out there. I cannot thank you enough. More people need to hear about this, not only so they can understand and be supportive, but so those who are suffering can get the help they NEED. I would love to see more on HG in the future. Thank you will never be enough.

Love, Becky Heiner
slowlearner

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil