My HG story - In Canada

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

My HG story - In Canada

Postby catsandfrogs » Mar 01, 2007 10:21 am

Hi Dr Phil,

Thank you so much for doing this show. We all appreciate having a little education and awareness on this debilitating condition ... we often are treated like we are whining about a little morning sickness when it is, in fact, much much worse.

I'm currently expecting my 3rd baby and have had HG with all three. I am not a severe case of HG as I have never needed a PICC or TPN line however, each pregnancy has gotten progressively worse.

With my first, I vomited many times every day but managed to stay hydrated most of the time. My doctor knew nothing of HG and assumed what I reported was simply morning sickness. I was very naieve and didn't know better ... I thought all women were as sick as I was during the first trimester. I was offered no treatment, no medication. I lost 15 lbs and started gaining only after 20 wks. I ended the pregnancy 10lbs higher than pre-pregnancy.

With my second, I was much worse. As I didn't have medication with my first, nothing was offered at first with my second. I became so severely dehydrated, unable to keep even the smallest sip of water down. I began vomiting blood and my dehydration was so severe, you could make permanent indentations in my skin. I was admitted to the hospital and had to stay there for 2 weeks on IV's. I continued to vomit until they experimented with the dosages of various medications and eventually came up with a combination of diclectin, gravol and zantac taken at prescription strengths 3-4 times per day before the vomiting eased and I was able to begin eating by mouth again.

This time around, we started medication right away at 5 weeks in the hopes that it would alleviate the symptoms enough to keep me from getting as severe as I was with my 2nd. It worked. I've still been home from work, sick, vomiting 6-12 times every day for 9-10 weeks. I'm happy to say that in the past week I have stopped vomiting most days and am able to eat a greater variety of foods and, most importantly, drink fluids again. For many weeks, I was only able to take fluids in a frozen form. The ladies at Helpher.org have been extremely helpful and supportive as well as the support from the nausea and vomiting helpline at motherisk.org.

I am currently taking 6 pills of diclectin daily, 3-4 50mg of gravol and 450 mg of zantac daily which I credit for my current relief from HG.

I'm hopeful that your show will expose this horrible condition and create awareness across the continent. I look forward to watching it on TV and feel sad that I am not well enough to attend in person.

Thank you,

Shannon (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
Shannon

dd#1 - 8 years old
dd#2 - 4 years old

ImageImage
catsandfrogs
HG Expert

Postby Cindygirl » Mar 01, 2007 10:26 am

Shannon-

:hugs: Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Mommy to:
Kalli-9 yo dd, moderate HG
Tiarra-5 yo dd, no HG
Michael-2 1/2 yo, mild HG
PG with baby boy, moderate HG

Cindygirl
Opinionated HGer

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil