In full swing!

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

In full swing!

Postby dq2day » Mar 01, 2007 4:47 am

How encouraging to discover testimonies of survivors of HP. I am currently 11 weeks pregnant with twins and in full swing of HP. My husband, three year old son and I found out at 5 weeks that we were pregant. It was just a couple days after that my journey began. The first week and a half my nausea kept increasing and nothing the nurse suggested would work...nothing! By the time I had tried every suggestion including several medications (in several forms) I couldn't keep food or water down and headed to the hospital. My wait in the ER was the longest I had ever experienced. After the long wait and visit from the on-call OB I finally received a strong enough medicine to decrease the vomiting and calm down the nausea. It wasn't until the next day that I discovered there was a name for what I was experiencing (Hyperemisis Gravidarum). After 6 days in the hosptial being on IV fluids and medication, I was finally able to start eating and drinking very little. I was sent home with a few prescriptions that soon prooved to be a challenge with the insurance company. They would not cover enough of the most needed medication. I spent the next week taking what I had of the medication just as needed. I soon discovered that wasn't working. My nausea, vomiting, and weight loss led me back to where I started. I woke up this last Tuesday morning with similar signs of dehydration. My nurse suggested to keep sipping water and call the next day if I felt the same. Frustrated with this suggestion, I got online and discovered HER Foundation. Instantly I started reading the posted testimonies and found relief in the similarities. Feeling inspired by these womens' experiences, I got back on the phone with my nurse. I explained to her that I didn't think sipping on water was going to improve the situation. I explained the only thing that worked at the hospital was medication. I encouraged her that we need to pursue the insurance company to cover what I needed. She agreed and we got started on the process. I then was sent that evening to the walk-in clinic to receive more fluids and a promise to be seen by my OB the next morning. By now I was just as sick as I was before, luckily not as long. My OB had been out of town and when she found out about the complications I was having with the insurance company, she was very upset. She and the nurse worked hard at comunicating with the insurance. While they worked on that, my OB had me admitted into the hospital for the day to receive more fluids and medication. I was relieved that my OB was taking care of business and knew exactly what I needed. She is an amazing doctor. I am thankful for her. I was pleased to be informed that the insurance found a medication that they will cover. Now I am waiting for the pharmacy to receive a shipment of that medication. I am anxious to start this medication and hope for an improvement. In the mean time, I will continue to be encouraged by the testimonies. I will pray that these womens' experiences will encourage others as well as educate the medical feild, insurance companies, as well as pharmacies. I will also pray that the women currently challenged with HP will find the support they need. I have been blessed with the support and prayers of my husband, my parents, my in-laws, my sister-in-law, family & friends, and newly discovered HP testimonies on HER Foundation.

Renee
dq2day

Postby Susannah » Mar 01, 2007 10:55 am

Welcome to the board. I am so sorry you are so sick. I am glad that you were able to advocate for yourself to get better care. Please feel free to post any questions/vents/updates in the first trimester folder. Also if you would like a buddy, post in this thread http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?t=185
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil