Two time Hger

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

Two time Hger

Postby Marie » Mar 01, 2007 12:24 am

I have suffered through HG twice. The first time I survived with the help of a PICC line, medication, frequent trips to the hospital, and home health care. I was scared and did not know what was happening to me, and neither did my doctor. I was treated with the help of the web, for my doctor looked up different treatment options from medical websites. My care was turned over to a high risk OB once he determined that I was no longer critical, and that I would survive. I laughed thinking he was making some sort of joke, and he quickly corrected me by saying "I seriously did not know if you would survive this pregnancy."

I did not know that HG could or would occur again...

November 16, 2004...I was working and after seeing one of my patients I headed straight for the bathroom where I spent the greater part of the next hour. I was able to track down my supervisor and let her know what was going on. After a phone call to my ob I was sent to my ER for rehydration and antimetics. Two days later on my daughters birthday I was able to be released only to have to be readmitted the next day due to relentless vomiting. The high risk physician from my first pregnancy agreed to take over my case. I was in and out of the hospital for the remainder of my pregnancy. This time I survived with the help of steriods, and a Zofran pump. I was once again on meds till the end of my pregnancy. This pregnancy I had the added bonus of Ptalysim. To this day I am teased by my peers for carrying around a spit cup while taking care of patients.

With both HG pregnancies I suffered financially, mentally, and physically. I am still recovering from the effects of this terrible disease.
I have two healthy children. I would have loved to have more, but my husband and I decided that we could not survive another HG pregnancy, so I had a tubal ligation after the birth of my son.
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil