HG and Termination

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

HG and Termination

Postby Alli'sMom » Feb 28, 2007 7:30 pm

Dear Dr. Phil,
I wish to thank you for doing your show. I want to to share my story of termination due to HG. I have a lot of shame and guilt but mostly anger at the care I recieved during the hardest time in my life.
I have been pregnant 3 times and #2 is the one that ended in a termination. When I found out I was pregnant I was so happy, it was my wedding anniversary and it was the best gift I could give my husband. I was 6 weeks and already getting sick. I started my first of many ER visits that week and each day was worse than the last. By 9 weeks I had 8 ER visits. On my last ER visit I was admitted into the hospital for not eating in 5 days. I lost 30 lbs in 3 weeks. They sent me to have an ultrasound to check on the baby and during the procedure I kept vomiting. The tech was getting sick from me and left the room only to leave me on the table holding a vaginal ultrasound device inside me. While I was in there feeling humiliated I had my first feelings of ending my pregnancy.
Once I returned to my room I was visited by the Dr. on duty. She told me that I was going to get a feeding tube and sent home. This is when I voiced my feelings on terminating. She looked at me and said that she had time to do it that day in the hospital and I would feel better in 2 days. So I did it.
The emotional pain I went through is beyond words. I wanted to end my own life, I cried every day for weeks. I don't know if the guilt will ever go away. I didn't go into it thinking I was going to terminate. I can't explain it sometimes because it happened so fast. I just carry the blame of not being strong enough to save the baby or to just suffer through the pregnancy. My hope is that your show will help Doctors see that HG is awful and better care can make all the difference. It could have saved me and my baby. I feel that education is the answer now and getting the word out may help another woman from going through what I did.
Jamie
Sacramento,CA
Alli'sMom

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil