My Story

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

My Story

Postby SLO+MLO.Mommy » Feb 28, 2007 1:26 pm

First of all Thank you for being willing to get the word out about this terrible disease. Before I actually went through it I had never heard of Hyperemesis. The first time I heard the word I was lying in a hospital bed after several days of vomitting nothing but stomache acid and just 2 days before my wedding. I had spent over 11 hours the night before in the ER with noone knowing what to do. Finally my OB had them admit me. Luckily I was able to make it to my wedding though I was very weak and had chairs and vomit buckets hidden on the stage of the church just in case I needed them. The smell of the food at my reception made me ill and my husband and I couldn't go on our honeymoon because riding in the car made me so sick. My entire pregnancy was spent in misery. It was impossible for me to get excited about the new little life I was carrying. I spent so much time in and out of hte hospital that I wasn't able to pick out a crib or nursery decor. I wasn't able to have a baby shower or go to birthing classes. I was so weak that I couldn't even clean my house or cook dinner for my husband. Luckily my Mom and sister lived close to me so they helped me more than I will ever be able to thank them for. My first year of marriage was EXTREMELY difficult. I was in and out of the hospital every few weeks and then when I was about 5 months pregnant we found out that my husband was being deployed with the Marine Corps. The day I had to tell him goodbye for him to leave for training I was vomitting and in labor. Though I didn't tell him that. I watched my husband pull away on a bus on his way to Camp Lejuenne and then my Mom put me in the car and took me to hospital. They stopped my labor but kept me there for several days due to dehydration the same thing I had been hospitalized for everytime before. I was finally released from the hospital on a Tuesday. I went back to the Dr. for an Amnio on that Thursday and they induced my labor 4 weeks early that night. My OB felt that if he let me go full term in my pregnancy I wouldn't be physically strong enough to endure labor and delivery. Which as it turned out I was vomitting the entire time of that as well. My husband was on one side of me and a nurse with a bucket on the other side while I was pushing. Luckily the Marine Corps let my husband come home for the induction. So he did get the be there when our son was born. He came home that Thursday afternoon and had to leave again that Sunday morning. Throughout my pregnancy from the day I found out I was pregnant until they weighed me right before my epidural I lost a total of 40 pounds. It is still amazing to me that I managed to give birth to a healthy 6lb 5oz baby boy.

Now 2 1/2 years later we have beautiful little boy. But I am now going through all of this again. I found out I was pregnant again in December (UNPLANNED PREGNANCY) and started getting sick Feb. 1st and was hospitalized for the first time Feb. 3rd. Currently I am at home with a PICC line in my arm and giving myself IV meds and fluids daily. I have problems taking full care of my son, husband and my home. I rely alot on my family to help get me through the days. My only hope is that this time things go alot better. I pray daily that this illness will go away and that I can feel better. That I can go the rest of this pregnancy without nausea or vomitting. That I can just feel NORMAL.

Thank you again for letting the workd know about this disease. I can only hope that others will follow your lead so that more might be able to be done.

ERIN O'CONNOR
ERIN
SUPER PROUD MOMMY TO:
Stephen ~ July 16,2004
Mason ~ July 23,2007
SLO+MLO.Mommy
Devoted to You

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil