My HG blessings...

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

My HG blessings...

Postby Proudmama » Feb 28, 2007 12:32 pm

Dr. Phil,
Let me begin by expressing my deepest appreciation for attempting to tackle such a medical mystery. Hyperemesis Gravidarum is a horrible disease that too few Doctors understand or even accept. My story began nearly four years ago. My husband and I were overjoyed after learning that we had conceived our much wanted and loved baby boy. After a few short weeks, the sickness took hold. I was vomiting over 30 times per day and tried to get my Doctor to see me before the 8 week pregnancy appointment. I was told numerous times to just try new vitamins by the staff at my OB’s office. Since this was my first pregnancy, I thought this was normal. Everyone told me that this was normal. Just before my scheduled Doctors appointment, I was rushed to the ER for severe dehydration and diagnosed with moderate HG. When my Doctor did see me, I was green and yellow in skin color and my weight had dropped over 20 lbs. I was immediately placed on oral Zofran. After a few more weeks of poor care, my HG began to ease. I did not find out the cause of my severe vomiting until I read my own ER records. My husband and I have our healthy baby boy here and we are truly blessed.

After researching this disease on our own, my husband and I decided to have another baby. We interviewed new Doctors and found a truly understanding and wonderful man. My new Doctor informed us that my chances of having HG again were at least 50% and it could be more severe. Little did I know that his words would ring so very true. We conceived our second baby, a couple of months later. After 5 weeks of pregnancy, the HG hit. This time, it was much more severe. My mom had to come out and live with my family on and off my entire pregnancy in order to help take care of my son while my husband worked and I was in and out of the hospital. This was extremely hard on my dad since he had to spend months away from my wife of over 30 years. I was on IV’s, a Zofran pump, numerous other medications and monitored weekly by my home health care nurses. I lost over 25 lbs. during this pregnancy, including 6 lbs in the third trimester. I also suffered with excessive salivation issues which only added to my severe dehydration issues. After 9 months of severe HG, numerous days off of work and an excessive amount of scaring from IV’s and my Zofran pump, my husband, our son and I welcomed our beautiful, healthy baby girl. Since my last bout with Hyperemesis, several Doctors have told me to never have any more children as it could cost me my life.

I hope and pray that others will watch your show and learn more about this debilitating disease. I am a professional scientist who was fortunate enough to have an amazing and caring boss. He worked with me during my pregnancy, allowing my family and I to continue to receive a paycheck and peace of mind that my job came second. I only hope that more women suffering from this disease can be fortunate enough to have a boss as understanding as mine.

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart. Please know, that if I knew everything that I would have to endure prior to my pregnancies, I would still go through it all again. My son and daughter are truly gifts from God.

Sincerely,
Jamie
2 time HG Survivor
1 time Pre-E Survivor
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil