To Dr. Phil and the Women of the HG Website

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

To Dr. Phil and the Women of the HG Website

Postby DonnaMoore873 » Feb 27, 2007 11:05 pm

Dear Dr. Phil,

I am writing to say thank you for doing a show on Women with HG. I am 26 years old and just went through a pregnancy with HG. During my pregnancy, I had one week of feeling great and celebrating the miracle God had blessed us with. During my 7th week I began to get sick. The vomiting began and continued literally for months on end. Violent, relentless vomiting. To the point of blood.

The taste of an ice chip on my lips would make me sick. Numerous trips to the ER for severe vomiting and dehydration. Each trip consisted of bags of IV fluid, being stuck over and over. No veins in sight due to the dehydration. During each visit to the hospital I would be told.........."Go home....."drink more fluids"!! It wasn't until I saw my OB that we found out what we were dealing with, and even at that time, he wasn't that familiar with just how debilitating this disease could be. I was sick throughout my pregnancy with the most severe being until the end of my 6th month.

During that time I was unable to eat or drink anything without throwing up. I was hospitalized numerous times for fluids and had too many doctors office visits to count. I lost a total of 28 lbs during the first trimester.

There is no way to describe how the HG makes you feel and the effect it has not only on the pregnant mother but the family around her. We prayed every day just to keep our baby healthy and safe. I have never known a fear like that of losing the child that I had waited so long for. I was so ill that I didnt have the energy to talk on the phone to loved ones, or to even get out of the bed, I had to have help just to go to the restroom. I even had to have help bathing because I didnt have the energy to stand in a shower long enough to bathe. We got the suggestion from the women on the HelpHer website to enlist Home Health. I began using a Zofran pump (much like an insulin pump for diabetics). I was on that for about 14 days. The medication by mouth were no longer helping me. Luckly my OB, who was a God send, was open to the idea of us trying whatever the women from HelpHer suggested due to his lack of experiance with HG.

He is one of the reasons that we have our son with us today. I guess one of the toughest things to understand with all of this is the lack of knowledge from not only family and friends but the doctors and nurses in the hospitals. We are just blessed that my mom found the site when she did so we could have help fighting this horrible monster that had consumed me.

Had it not been for my support system, my amazing husband who stood beside me every second, and my mother who put her job and new marriage on hold just to come and help take care of me, I would have never made it through the 9 months. The amazing women on the HelpHer website whom we have never met were our saving grace. Without them, we wouldn't have known what to do.

Here we are nearly a year after all of this started and I have a beautiful, healthy baby boy who I would lay down my life for and I can't imagine my life without him. I look back and wonder how we ever made it through those times. I wish that our doctors and hospitals had more information on just what they are dealing with.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for using your show to get the word out on this horrilbe "disease" that many woman have, and will be faced with. I am sad to say that because my son is only 2 months old I won't be able to attend the taping. We were planning to come, but our pediatrician advised against flying at this time.

The thing that breaks my heart the most is that the women that will be sitting there and telling their stories, are the women who saved mine and my son's life. I regret that I will not be able to make the trip to meet them. I only hope that one day in the future I will have that chance again. I pray that by you doing this show, women in the future will be able to better prepare themselves and get the treatment that they need to get them through the hell that is HG. If, in the future you choose to do any more on this topic I would love to be a part of it.

Again, Thank You for caring enough to help us get the word out.

Sincerely,
Jamie Kramer
HG survivor and
Proud mother of
Kolton Cade
born 12/16/06
10lbs 15oz
24 1/2 inches long
DonnaMoore873
Welcomed Friend

Will you think about coming to the dinner?

Postby JourneyOfHope » Mar 01, 2007 9:42 am

Hello there. I am trying to round up all these same survivors and family members to attend the fundraising dinner and party. It would just be so great if we could all meet in person. I know it's far to come, and there's not much time, but please just think about it. I feel the same way as you do. To be surrounded by all these wonderful women and their families is to be surrounded by greatness. Read my posts and I'm hoping to hear from you.
JourneyOfHope
Welcomed Friend

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil