I wish I knew...

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

I wish I knew...

Postby tgger007 » Feb 27, 2007 10:23 pm

I thought throwing up was normal. I thought that was morning sickness.

Thank you for doing the show so others don't have to be in the dark like I was..

My OB/GYN did not see patients until they were in their 8th week. I was barely at 6 and had spent the whole week throwing up. My husband who had a child before me told me to tell someone. He felt something just was not right. I did and they blew me off. They gave me a prenatual with more B6 in it telling me it would help. I could not keep it down. I could not keep water down.

I went to the Dr the next week to get more blood tests done. They were suprised on how sick I said I was. They gave me another vitamin to try. I could not keep it down. I still could not keep water down.

I went to my 8th week appointment. The Dr asked about my diet. He told me I was doing it all wrong and needed to just do a liquid diet. I got worse, fast. With just only 8 weeks pregnant, I had lost over 20 lbs. No one seemed to take me seriously.

I called the nurse up in tears and finally got a prescription for Zofran. It helped a bit, but I found out that my insurance would only cover a tiny small amount. I was also being harrassed by family for taking meds that could hurt my baby. I was torn with so much guilt and no one seemed to understand.

I got a call from a home nurse who was checking up on me and my insurance. She is the one who told me she suspected I had hyperemesis gravidarum. She told me how to talk to my dr and then told me how to find helpher.org. I bless her everyday of my life.

At that point I had lost 28 lbs and was into week 12. Six weeks of no one understanding me, yelling at me, and blaming me. Someone finally understood.

I can't say things got better. I threw up everyday for 32 weeks. I had to fight the insurance company every week to get medication they did not want to cover. I had to fight everyday to try to get 400 calories into my body while no one told me about IVS.. I listened to people telling me I'd get better if I'd just eat. Many of the same also telling me how horrible the meds I took were for my growing baby. I already felt bad, they made me feel worse.

I could barely get out of bed and at 30 weeks I was put on bedrest. And at 40 weeks I had my baby.. With an induction.

I had wanted children my whole life. My husband and I were already raising his son diagnosed with Autism. I could not do anything. I was a failure. Our marriage that was so knew and blooming took a devistating hit.

He's wonderful. He's ahead of most of my friends babies which gives me a sigh of relief from all the grief I was given for taking medicine to live.

Thank you for letting people know about Hyperemesis gravidarum and giving a voice to the dark. Letting people know there is hope out there.
Crystalyn

tgger007
Forum Moderator

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil