Thanks for the NATIONAL ATTENTION

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

Thanks for the NATIONAL ATTENTION

Postby newmom » Feb 27, 2007 6:31 pm

Dr. Phil,

I can't thank you enough for doing a show on HG. There are so many people (Dr.'s included) who make up reasons for the severe sickness. As if we have control over the whole situation. Believe me when I say that IF we had control we wouldn't be so sick. What woman would want to spend her pregnancy in such pain? I was lucky to have such a loving, caring and understanding husband to help me through it all. My situation was very severe. My doctors and nurses told my husband and I that my condition is rare and this was the first time they had dealt with it. They had no idea how to treat me and they made sure that we understood that. They were also open to any ideas that we could offer. My husband took to the internet immediately and researched HG and possible treatments. He talked to a lady that told him about different treatments and we discussed them with my Dr. I found out I was pregnant Nov. 11, 2005 and by the end of Dec. 2005 I was on a pump that gave me small doses of Zofran 24/7. The treatment was going to be costly and we had to have it approved by our insurance. At first the insurance company was confused, they thought I had cancer. We had to explain to them that I was pregnant and very sick and this was how the Dr. was going to treat me. Our insurance company had never heard of such a condition. This was a first for them as well. After a couple months of treatment I had to have my dosage increased and it was costing around $300-$450 a day for the medicine. The insurance company was not happy with how much it was costing and we were being hassled about getting off the medication. That pump was my life-line and they wanted to take it away. Even with the drugs I was still sick but it wasn't all the time. About a month and a half before I was due I was taken off the pump. I was actually doing good but my heartburn started to increase and whenever my heartburn got bad I would vomit. When I started to go into labor I was getting sick. I was laying in the hospital bed with a bucket by my side for when I needed to vomit. I was still sick even after my son was born. For the rest of that day I needed my bucket. It was definately the worst experience I had ever been through. But even with all that we dealt with and all that we know about HG repeating with every pregnancy, we still want to try and have another baby. We almost gave up on the idea of a family but we stuck it out and now we have a beautiful son named Harley. Thanks again for doing this show. You have no idea how much it means to those who suffer with HG.

Fayth
newmom

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil