My Life With HG

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

My Life With HG

Postby C&G'sMommy » Feb 27, 2007 4:32 pm

Dear Dr. Phil,

I just want to thank you for giving us the time on your show and letting us share the stories of this terrible condition that has caused so many women’s lives, some that I even know and love, to come crashing to a screeching halt. Hyperemesis is one of those conditions that is so misunderstood, and so little understood by doctors, that in some cases it's dangerous for both the mother and child involved. Without the right treatment it can lead to disastrous consequences.

Hyperemesis Gravidarum isn’t just a condition. It controls you and your families lives for most if not the whole pregnancy. It has made me change my mind about how many children I want and how many years to space them apart. HG also controls so many other aspects of your life from finances to your relationships with your loved ones and friends. Since this condition is so rare, so many just don’t understand it. You're suffering and they think you're either over-reacting or making the whole thing up but that’s not the case. So, I thank you for taking the time to teach others about this horrid condition.

My story started about 10 months ago. My husband and I found out that we were pregnant after we thought I had come down with the stomach flu. But what it turned out to be was so much more. I was pregnant with our first child and suffering from a condition that I had never heard of in my life and was scared out of my mind. My days went from being bad to down right horrible. I was hospitalized multiple times and ended up loosing around 40 pounds, from my original weight of 120. I was put on Zofran and Reglan, which seemed to help a little but it but never took away the nausea or the vomiting all the way. Then our worst nightmare happened, on July 26th. We had gone in for a regular ultrasound earlier that week and we found out the baby had stopped growing and that we lost our Caiden Nicholas at 17 weeks gestation. I felt like my whole world was coming to an end. He didn’t deserve to die he deserved so much more. I would’ve given anything, all the nausea and vomiting that I endured during that pregnancy just to have that precious little boy back.

Then two months a miracle happened. Something that brought me out of a deep depression I had sunk into after Caiden’s death. We found out that we were pregnant with our second child and then the HG started all over again as well at 8 weeks. This pregnancy wasn’t as severe as the first, but it's still been extremely difficult. I’m on a PICC line for my medications, which include Vistaril and Zofran along with Pepcid. I’m also on TPN, which gives me the nutrients both the baby and I need since I can’t eat enough to support myself let alone both of us. I’m currently almost 20 weeks pg with our little girl and am still suffering from HG. As I’m writing this, I’m filled with emotions of sadness and some joy. This has probably been the hardest thing I’ve written in my life, and as I’m still suffering from HG writing this hasn’t been easy either. But I thank you and your staff for letting us tell our stories and even though I can’t be there when the show is taped know that what this program is doing is helping a lot of women.

Thanks so much for your time,

Brooke Scott
South Carolina
ImageImage
~Caiden Nicholas~ - Lost 7/26/06 (Forever 17 Weeks)
Gabbriela Cadence - 6/22/07
~Taylor Blakely~ - Lost 10/3/07
C&G'sMommy
Master of HG

Postby Princesshood » Mar 01, 2007 11:17 pm

Brooke~ I know that was hard for you to write.Thank you. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
:hugs: Sara

Jak, Angel Baby since August 2006

Princesshood
HG Diva

Postby Susannah » Mar 01, 2007 11:29 pm

Great job Brooke. You are incredably strong. I have still not been able to write out my story.
:hugs:
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil