THANK YOU DR. PHIL!

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

THANK YOU DR. PHIL!

Postby catherinesanurse » Feb 27, 2007 9:39 am

I just want to say thanks so much for producing a show about HG. I am a nurse, but had never heard of HG until I was diagnosed with it. I was hospitalized at 8, 12, and 15 weeks with dehydration caused by extreme vomiting every 30 minutes to an hour. I became severely depressed as a result of both the vomiting and the concern that my baby was going to suffer as a result. My retching was bad enough to cause vaginal bleeding, which made me think I was going to miscarry. Sometimes I wished I wasn't pregnant, which is a horrible thought, and made me feel terribly guilty. The only medicine that worked for me was Zofran. My OB wanted to put me on a Zofran pump, however, my insurance wasn't accepted by the company supplying the pump. So I ended up just using Zofran pills, which, thankfully, insurance paid for. I don't know how women without insurance would afford them, because they run about $1000 for a month's supply without insurance. After my 16th week, my HG finally resolved. But I am one of the lucky ones. Some women don't resolve at all until after delivery. It takes a toll on one's health, one's job, one's family. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for publicizing this issue! Women everywhere with HG will thank you!
Catherine, RN
catherinesanurse

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil