A few random thoughts

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

A few random thoughts

Postby CaraCaraCara » Feb 26, 2007 8:24 pm

Dr. Phil, Thank you so much for making people aware of HG.

I had HG for 4-5 months with all three of my pregnancies. I felt each one was worse, but that could be because I could sleep more with the first pregnancy.

I would try EVERYTHING imaginable to relieve the nausea, from cinnamon candy to seasickness bracelets, from raspberry tea to vitamin B. NOTHING worked, not even the anti-cancer-nausea drug Zofran. The most I could eat each day was toast in the morning and a can of warm Coke that I nursed all day. I was lucky if I didn't throw that up.

I am a teacher and I would teach as well as I could and then lay on the floor at my desk in my office during my plan period. People thought I was crazy.

I had to be hooked up to the IVs with Zofran, and that didn't help any of the times. Can you imagine... you think that $1500 worth of meds will at least make you feel a bit better, but NO! I'd cry all the way home, get inside and throw it all up.

The only reason I had three children was my supportive husband and the knowledge that the HG ended for me during the second trimester. (I was lucky!) (Each time, I literally woke up one morning feeling back to normal, with my appetite back but 25 pounds lost. One day wanting to DIE, the next day, fine.)

I had the same "evil" thoughts as the others in this forum while suffering the HG, such as, "can't I just lose this baby?" and "what can I do to make this end?" Having those irrational thoughts is scary, and I could never tell anyone for fear that they'd commit me. As soon it was over, it felt like I had survived a terminal illness, but no one understood or cared.

Again, thank you for doing this. I look forward to the show.

Cara from Lincoln, Nebraska.
Mom to Valentine James (HG Baby) 2002 and Connor Douglas (Worse HG Baby) 2004, and Ava Leah, 2006, (Worst HG of all three, and she's a GIRL!)
CaraCaraCara

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil