HG robs us of what should be the most wonderful/joyous time

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

HG robs us of what should be the most wonderful/joyous time

Postby Anameara » Feb 25, 2007 4:38 am

Dear Dr. Phil,

Thank you for bringing attention to this retched disease. It is life and mind altering. Hyperemesis robs a woman of the most joyous time of her life. She should be rejoicing over the new life that is growing inside of her. Instead, we are a miserable shell of a human being. It robs us of our happiness, health, and too often our relationships. We suffer depression, anxiety, guilt, and distress.

All of my young life I wanted to be a mother. It started when I was a child. I have always dreamed of a large family. The least that I wanted was 6. Sometimes I would imagine myself having 10 or 12 children. This summer I just delivered my fourth (HG) pregnancy, each pregnancy has gotten worse. Unfortunately it will be my last. I will never have to large family that I desire. Even though each of my babies were very wanted, very desired, I considered termination each and every time. During my second pregnancy, I made the phone call, and set up the appointment. I did not go to that appointment, however. It is so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The first time I found out that I was pregnant because I just couldn't shake the "flu." The flu turned out to be HG (although I never knew that there was a name for it). I would vomit continuously, but seemed to carry a "normal life." I was in college at the time, so I know all the places on campus that had private bathrooms, or paths that had big bushes and some privacy. I started my pregnancy at 150 pounds, dropped to 130 pounds.

My next pregnancy was almost 10 years later. I know something was wrong immediately. I started at 180 pounds and dropped 30 pounds within the first month. My doctor would pat me on the back and say that it was typical morning sickness. Even when I dropped another 30 pounds by my next visit, he still did nothing. I told him that I couldn't keep anything down and had stopped eating. He stated that I must be eating something or else I would be dead. He did not believe in taking any medication during pregnancy. I told him that I felt like I was dying, and he would pat me on the back again and say "not much longer now." When I went in for my 6-week post-delivery check-up, I weighed 119 pounds. He told me that I looked great and that it wasn't so bad was it? How ridiculous! He had no idea the pain and suffering I went through!

Needless to say for my third pregnancy, I found a different doctor. I told him of my past experience and he promised that he would not let me suffer. He gave a name to my pain – hyperemesis gravidarum. I started with the whole B6-Unisom combo, but that did not help. I then progressed to Compazine, and then to Reglan. I was still vomiting, so he gave me Zofran. The only drawback was the constipation. I did not have a BM for 6 weeks. Yes, you read that correctly...6 weeks. The intra abdominal pressure was so great that I pushed my uterus down and out of place until one day, my cervix was pushed out my vagina. I continued my pregnancy with a combination of Zofran and Milk of Magnesium.

Silly me.... My desire for a large family crept in again. I begged my husband for another baby. I promised that this time was different! I knew the right combo of medication to take. Ahhh, the best-laid plans...I did not take into account that this pregnancy might be worse! The Zofran did not even touch my hyperemesis. My doctor prescribed a Zofran pump. He told me that if it did not work, I would be placed on a feeding tube. I had to change the site every three days. It was pure torture. Sitting to the table with a block of ice on my thigh, trying to muster the courage to poke that needle into my leg. I was hospitalized 11 times due to vomiting and dehydration. I spent a lot of time in my doctor’s office crying. I told him that I was so miserable, and I know that many pregnant women are miserable, but that this was beyond that. He stated that he had never, in all of his years, seen a case like mine.

Thank you so much,
Elizabeth Huhman
Four time HG survivor to:
Claire Philomena~Due 9/22/08
Mary~2
John Paul~4
Robbie~7
Sarah~17
ImageImage
Anameara
Welcomed Friend

Return to Letters to Dr. Phil