Big thanks!

The HER foundation contributed letters from our forums members for a show that featured Hyperemesis as a topic. The show aired in April of 2007.

Moderator: annmarie

Big thanks!

Postby peanut » Feb 25, 2007 1:41 am

Dr. Phil,

Thank you for publizing HG. To few people know about it, even in the medical profession. Hopefully this program will raise the awareness of HG.

I am a 2 time HG survivor. I have been one of the few people who's family members have not told them to try crackers or gingerale. Even still some didn't realize how sick I was with my first. When I got pregnant for the second time a family member thought that it would get better because they thought it had with my first. I never did get better with my first until I delivered!

I was 22 and recently married when I got pregnant with my son. At first I was thrilled when I started vomiting at 5 weeks because everybody told me that means the baby is healthy. However, that didn't last long. I worked (I am a nurse) through my 5th week - not being able to keep anything down. Around my 6th week I was taken out of work, but not given any medications by the doctor. During this week I ended up in the emergency room because of an asmtha attack that was caused by the vomiting. In addition to IV fluids I was given Reglan. When I went to my OB I was told to stop taking it (even though it was a class B drug and was working somewhat).

Then we went on a trip to see my husband's grandmother and attend a wedding. I was to sick to go to the wedding and stayed in bed. When my husband came home, he had to take me to the hospital. There I received IV fluids and Reglan and was only discharged because I was going home that day - otherwise they would have admitted me.

When I got home, I got an appointment to see my OB. I was still dehydrated and had large amounts of ketones in my urine. The OB then gave me home IV's and phenergan.

Throughout this pregnancy I was told by the OB to: just eat crackers, that pregnancy was not an illness, and that I was only sick because I wasn't working. At 16 weeks I was hospitalized because I had lost 23 pounds. At that time a gastroenterotologist was consulted and he suggested Zofran. However, I was discharged without it and they even tried to send me home with no IV fluids even though I was still on them in the hospital. Because it was a sunday there was no way for them to set up home health, so we fought and I stayed until monday. I repeatedly asked for a PICC line but was refused because they said that I should be over it by now. At 30 weeks the OB refused to refill my Phenergan because, "It can't possibly be hyperemesis because you are past 20 weeks". He told me that sitting around the house all day was why I was vomiting and that I needed to go back to work. At this point I hadn't been able to shower for months because I did not have the strength to go upstairs.

At 31 weeks I went into pre-term labor from dehydration. The OB's response at my follow-up appointment was, "well I guess you're out of work now." He acted as if I did it on purpose - all I did was follow his instructions!

When I delivered they were unable to put an IV in because they couldn't find a vein, they were all scarred.

My prize was a beautiful boy who was born January 26, 2002.

This past year, I found I was pregnant again. We were thrilled. I had switched OB's and had hopes that I would not be sick. At 7 weeks the HG hit hard. At 8 weeks I got a PICC line because they had only been able to find one vein for an IV and that infiltrated and they couldn't find another. The OB's were not incredibly knowledgeable about HG (and the Home Health even less so), but transferred me to a high-risk group at 17 weeks. At 18 weeks my PICC line became infected and I nearly died. If it had not been for the wonderful people on the HER site I would surely have died. I was too sick to realize just how sick I was and didn't want to wake my husband. I thank God that these folks were here to help me - I can never repay them.

After I was release from the hospital I had 2 weeks of nausea, but only a few vomits. Then my father-in-law died and the stress and grief cause me to relapse and I never recovered. I was in the hospital at least once a week (sometimes more) for IV fluids and they even tried to place a nasogastric tube to feed me. However, I vomited up the tube the first time and the second time it dislodge from the retching and I had a hard time breathing.

During this pregnancy my mom and dad took care of my son while my husband worked because I was too sick. Then from 30 weeks until I delivered we stayed with my mother-in-law. I had the incredible hurt of a "friend" dropping me (even though she lived in the same apartment building) and after I delivered wanting to vent to me about her personal problems. We don't talk anymore. However, another neighbor who I didn't know well before HG proved to be an angel. She would make meals for my son when my parents couldn't watch him. She even did our laundry!

My prize the second time was a beautiful baby girl born Decemeber 4, 2006.

I am still recovering months afterward from the HG.

I always wanted a big family, but am now left to grieve the loss of future children. My head knows that I can't do it again, but my heart won't believe it. I feel like there is another miracle that I have supposed to have. I feel like I am killing my future child, and I don't think I well ever forgive myself.

Loralie Holcomb
NY
Lora
Image Image

[/url]
peanut
Master of HG

Postby Princesshood » Mar 02, 2007 4:56 pm

Loralie~ I understand.
:hugs: Sara

Jak, Angel Baby since August 2006

Princesshood