Effects on baby?

We're open to suggestions and questions for the forums.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Effects on baby?

Postby justme » Jan 04, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if there was a good place to post questions about HG affects on baby?

I recently read somewhere that there may be a link between HG and skin blemishes or something (wish I had included the citation) - and Riley has a couple of skin abnormalities. Including some pointing cartlidge behind her ear and something on her chest.

Also, Riley was slow to sit-up, crawl, walk and babble/coo.

Also, she has digestion problems. (Has been tested for food allergies but came up negative).

Also, something I find interesting, Riley now seems to have a very low tolerance for noise. She will cover her ears and complain that it is too loud/hurts - and it seems to be completely normals volumes, etc. She is very sensitive to noise.
justme
Forum Moderator

Postby teddi » Jan 04, 2007 3:04 pm

Maybe post it in Polls? Or in Physical Impact?

Noise may be a sensory issue- and there are other moms here (Suzanne) whos children have sensory issues. GERD is common for HG babies, but we've seen other problems too and allergies seem to be more common here than I see on other boards.

I am a noise sensitive person myself- and yes, volumes that seem fine to others do LITERALLY cause me pain.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby PamelaRose » Jan 04, 2007 11:44 pm

The school nurse who handled Reilly's screening told me that they have linked bedrest in the 2nd trimester with sensory integration disorders in children. The theory is that moms who are bedridden aren't exposing their babies to normal movement and the babies' aren't developing whatever they need to be able to make sense of sensory stimuli. OK, so someone medical can explain it better, but it made complete sense to me. This fascinates me and leaves me in awe that my HG babies are so unbelievably NORMAL! lol
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby bibliojo » Jan 05, 2007 2:44 am

Very interesting Pamela! It has been suggested to us by a child psychologist that saw Lukas that he may not have ADHD but rather sensory integration disorder so we're looking into that. While I techinically wasn't on bed rest, I sure wasn't going anywhere thanks to HG.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Ivydragon » Jan 08, 2007 11:11 am

This sounds so much like my nephew Jacob. He was slow to sit up and crawl, and has had speech delays (he is now 6, almost 7). He is very intelligent, but does have quite a few food allergies, and neurological delays. He is very sensitive to sound. Caught early, and working with treatments designed to help with stimulus, many of these sensitivities, and delays can be overcome with time.

Lemme know if you'd be interested in contacting my sis. She has easy fluffy pgs, but is a world of knowledge when it comes to neurological issues, treatment & educational programs, and food allergies.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby justme » Jan 08, 2007 11:23 am

I found this information on SID (sensory integration disorder)

http://www.network54.com/Realm/Spirited_Kids/sid.htm

Thanks all for loving and caring about Riley, I put a call in to her doctor about the ear issue.

Karen
justme
Forum Moderator

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 08, 2007 11:36 pm

Karen, I've been watching Christopher for sensory issues for a long time...anxiety too. But every time I think I need to rush him in for evaluation, he comes out of it...I think the symptoms flare just before a growth spurt.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Return to Ask the Administrators