Hmmm...

We're open to suggestions and questions for the forums.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Hmmm...

Postby tatteredtoo » Dec 18, 2006 11:06 pm

Now I'm even more concerned about the suppression and acceptance (or lack thereof) on this forum that I brought up on the topic that was deleted. Kelly had requested that her post be deleted, and I called her to check up on her today, and she was upset that her request wasn't respected originally. I told her I would add my two cents to it and now that I did, it was deleted quite promptly, and I have a rising suspicion that it had nothing to do with her request.
Hmm...
I guess all I can say is that I find it utterly disturbing on many, many levels.
Tina
2 Full term HG pregnancies and 1 HG anembryonic pregnancy (7-8 weeks)
tatteredtoo
HG Expert

Postby aaronsmommy » Dec 18, 2006 11:15 pm

The thread has been temporarily moved.

Kelly asked that the thread be deleted.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Kenderyl » Dec 19, 2006 2:21 pm

Kelly may have asked for her part of the thread to be deleted, but the opinions of myself and others were clearly made and silenced in the deletion of that thread.

I am MOST displeased that my opinions and feelings have been deleted.
Mother to Boo (19), Hopie (18), Kimberz (15), Gracie (9), RiverMonster (6), and our youngest to be...??
Consider me an experienced HG Survivor! 4/5 pregnancies w/ severe HG from conception to birth.
Facebook: Kenderyl
Kenderyl
HG Diva

Postby minnesotamama » Dec 19, 2006 2:43 pm

Just going to add my two cents...

As someone who majored in Theology in college and studied MANY different religions, I can understand the need for a forum for prayer/faith/inspiration. I can also understand why some people would be against it. However, I live in a country where the whole idea was to have freedom so we could express our religious views. The founders of this country meant for people to share their views openly for discussion. We can all learn so much from each other by simply talking.

This country was not formed so that people could have freedom FROM religion. The separation thing has gone so far and the PCness of everything has gotten out of hand. Its awful that people cannot simply discuss their views without being considered judgemental. Having an opinion does not mean you are judgemental! It means you have an opinion. Being judgemental would require saying someone was a bad person for what they believe/behave. I don't see that happening on a forum like this.

We all have different opinions on birth control and termination, but we certainly don't condem others for their choices on here, nor would any of us consider it. Why does religion have to be so different? Imagine the things we could learn from each other about prayers and other faith based healing. Perhaps with more conversation, we would no longer just tolerate each other, but truly understand each other and love each other for who we are.

I'm not suggesting we have debates on religion, because that does not further anything, but for example, Sarah posted something about Hannukka and everyone got to learn a little about her traditions. Is that really so bad? Plus in a world of freedom and free choice, no one has to enter any forum. Those who opposed to religion at all are not forced to participate, just like it is in our society. Its FREEDOM!

Anyway, with or without a separate forum, I hope that people will continue to share their beliefs and spirituality and know that no matter what they will be accepted and loved. We should all be fortunate to live in places where we have the option to discuss our views openly and not be condemed. We don't all have to agree on everything to get along, we simply have to have understanding and compassion for each other.

Sorry this is so long. I am very passionate about my freedoms obviously. Like I said, I have studied many religions, gone to synagogue for services, been to LDS service while in Salt Lake City, celebrated the end of Ramadan with muslims, and been a part of a whole bunch of other celebrations. The more we know, the more we can really see how alike we are and celebrate our differences.

EDITED TO ADD (I know not all of us live in the US, but most of us enjoy the freedoms of speech and religion that the founders of the US set out to secure. We should all take advantage of that freedom because others are still fighting for it)
Brenda
minnesotamama
Master of HG

Postby Kenderyl » Dec 19, 2006 3:28 pm

Thank you, Brenda... for putting so eloquently what I have been wanting to say all along yet could not because my anger got in the way.

May I humbly request that the "temporarily removed" thread be reinstated (yet perhaps as a closed thread) so that others may look upon it and read the thoughts and opinions expressed by the other members of the board while still preserving Kelly's original request to delete/edit her post?
Mother to Boo (19), Hopie (18), Kimberz (15), Gracie (9), RiverMonster (6), and our youngest to be...??
Consider me an experienced HG Survivor! 4/5 pregnancies w/ severe HG from conception to birth.
Facebook: Kenderyl
Kenderyl
HG Diva

Postby teddi » Dec 19, 2006 4:42 pm

My original answer was:
This has been asked about many times over the last two years.

In general the feeling is - we encourage all faiths here. We feel there are too many potential problems for riffs if we did a faith folder (even possibly if it was to cover all faiths).

Feel free to post such a request anywhere though- in your Tri Folder or Life. You can share anything devotional where it may apply or down in the "Stories of Hope" folder. Just because there ISN'T a folder for something doesn't mean it can't be posted about.

We know faith is very important to getting thru HG (or suffering from the HG). So share away!

To reiterate- no one is expect to refrain from sharing their faith, religions or beliefs. People of all or no faith are welcome here. It is expected that this will be expressed throughout all of the folders, as part of our journey and support of the trial of dealing with & healing from HG. Tolerance is expected here among our members, religion and faith most welcome.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby Ivydragon » Dec 19, 2006 5:34 pm

Please allow me to remind everyone that as administrators, we are volunteers. None of us are paid for our time and contributions to the forums, or the HER Foundation.

As administrators we all come from different time zones, economic levels, various levels of education, and a variety of professions. We all have families, jobs, and commitments that take up our time that do not include the forums.

We are all admins because of a long standing commitment to nonjudgemental leadership; an understood promise of working together for the betterment of the forums despite personal viewpoints that differ; a strong desire to help those who face HG after us; an understanding of HG (as far as it can be understood); an eye to the future growth of the forums; and a commitment to hold up and support the HER Foundation: Hyperemesis Education & Research Foundation provides education & support for mothers suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum and those who care for them.

The message thread was indeed relocated. In order to preserve the highest form of respect for one another, we try to reserve final decisions in the admin. forum until all of the admins have had a chance to weigh in on a topic. That process takes time. We take a look at the past decisions, and why those were made, and take a look at the current request, and consider whether or not it is time to make the request an active part of our forums. If need be we ask the opinions of women who are not part of the admin. team but whom we feel would be impacted by our decision, and whose input we feel would be valuable to the decision we make.

We don't move messages all over the place as a matter of course. We also do not delete messages all over the place. It is simply unfair for us to be accused of so many things when the truth of the matter is is that we are simply trying to figure out what happened, and inform all of the admins before we can even begin to discuss what to do about it. So, in order to grant us the time neccessary to discuss the matter, we are asking with the utmost respect that no one post to this discussion further, or start a new one to continue the discussion - simply, and for the only reason so that we can sort it all out, and have the time to think about it in the admin. forum. If this request is not respected, we will have no choice but to lock all discussions on this topic.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby IslandDreamer » Dec 19, 2006 10:59 pm

I am sorry my suggestion to Kelly caused upset to others. She was so stressed when I spoke with her that she wanted the whole topic to "go away," so I suggested she ask admin to delete it.

Nothing was done to offend anyone or suppress in any way. That is the last thing I know admin would want folks to think.

The thread was deleted at Kelly's request...and MY suggestion. I thought it would relieve the tension she felt.

I'm really sorry if others are hurt by that thread being moved. It had nothing to do with people's faiths. I can guarantee that from hanging around this place three years, well, nearly three years.

Love you all.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Cin » Dec 19, 2006 11:26 pm

I think, for Kelly's health and well-being, that it is time to drop this discussion for awhile.

I am also a believer in freedom (practising Catholic and a journalist) but "the freedom to swing your fist stops at my nose" as Hobbes put it.

Please drop it. You are unintentionally making her suffer. PLEASE drop it.

Thank you, Andy, for a calm and measured response.
Mom to Alex, 12 -- NVP
Isaac, 10 -- NVP
Naomi, 8 -- HG
Edward, 4 -- avoided clinical HG through aggressive pre-emptive treatment and pure luck (aka medicated fluffy)
Cin
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Administrators