Forum Suggestion X2 (Swap Meet)

We're open to suggestions and questions for the forums.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum Suggestion X2 (Swap Meet)

Postby tatteredtoo » Dec 18, 2006 10:41 pm

I emailed Kimber about this a few days ago but thought I'd bring it up to the admins as well. It was mentioned in a thread that I had started for a baby clothes/item exchange that a swap meet folder should be started and a few others liked the idea. I did, too. I didn't do the greatest job upkeeping the children's thread, but Kendra has done a fabulous job keeping up with the maternity clothes exchange already. I can attest that this has been good so far, at least for me... I've already got boxes ready to be sent out to women in need of baby items, and some for maternity clothes, too. This is a great benefit to me because we're freeing up space that's been taken by unused baby and maternity items and I think it will help those who are needing some of these things but probably can't afford it when the costs of medical care in HG pregnancies can be so high.
Anyway, I was wondering what others thought about this idea of starting a Swap meet/exchange forum, too. I understand we would each be responsible and liable for what private information we give out to support an exchange of items, but we also do that for things like the HER contact sheet also so I don't see a problem there if everyone is careful and cautious, as well as respectful of other members privacy.
Is this a good/bad idea?
Tina
2 Full term HG pregnancies and 1 HG anembryonic pregnancy (7-8 weeks)
tatteredtoo
HG Expert

Postby caleighbelle47 » Dec 19, 2006 12:45 am

I like the idea. I know I've got stuff that I could use to get rid of and as you mentioned most of us already have each others addresses. I've given things to people around here before and love knowing that my stuff is going to people who need it (of course I'm weird about who I give my stuff to.)
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
http://caleighbabies.blogspot.com/
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby Atsie » Dec 19, 2006 8:39 am

I am not admin, but although I think it is a great idea I think we need to keep the forums down to HG and pg type stuff. Maybe we could just have stickies that get updated often or a sticky directing us to an HG swap meet at yahoo or something.
But that is just my non admin opinon! :wink:
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby krdoty » Dec 19, 2006 11:17 am

Thanks, Tina! Right now I'm updating the stickied maternity clothes (Life) thread on a daily basis so that all offers are briefly described on the first page of the thread. So far the interest seems to be sustainable. I wonder if the way I'm doing it (listing bare bones offer info) is the best way. HGers looking for specifics still need to search out the details posted by the offerer or PM the offerer to get details that are already posted. Finding those details will become more cumbersome as the thread progressing through time.

A separate forum would simplify the process. Here's how I would envision the Forum.
:arrow: As stated previously, there would be a disclaimer stickied informing users that personal information is to be exchanged at the user's discretion. Users would work out payment and/or mailing details amongst themselves. HER would assume no liability with regard to transactions initiated on the board.
:arrow: Each post title would begin with "OFFER", "FOR SALE" or "WANT." That would make browsing the forum much more efficient for individual users.
:arrow: Once a a WANT/SALE/OFFER has been satisfied, the original poster should go back and change the post title to "CLOSED."

As for the list of forums getting too long... I think maybe a reorganization of the forums list could help. The Mothers Q&A has a lot of forums right now. That could be split. Here's what comes to mind (in no particular order):

:arrow: During HG Pregnancy
First Trimester HG
Second Trimester HG
Third Trimester HG
Birth Announcements

:arrow: New users
New to Forums - Pregnant
New to Forums - Not Pregnant

:arrow: Post-HG
Postpartum & Newborn Care
Physical Impact of HG

:arrow: Approaching HG
Preparation for HG
Trying to Conceive

:arrow: Treating/Handling HG
Medication Experiences
Alternative Healing
Need to Find a Physician
Foodments
Insurance & Employment
Anxiety & Depression During & After HG
HG Outside the United States

:arrow: General
"I Got Crackered"
Life
Games
Swap Meet
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby tgger007 » Dec 19, 2006 4:58 pm

I also like the idea of a swap meet. With the cost of some of the meds we have to deal with and all the medical costs.. and I could not even think of buying baby clothes..

Thank goodness for Boo and I had baby clothes saved from him. I also had good family members that helped. I was to sick to go to a store, deal with the smells.
Crystalyn

tgger007
Forum Moderator

Postby HGx3 » Dec 19, 2006 11:50 pm

The Life folder was created for such. There is no need at this point to create a folder specifically for exchanging items. There have been several other exchanges over the years as well. All have been maintained in the Life folder.
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby teddi » Apr 11, 2007 5:04 pm

See this thread for more info about our offsite yahoo exchange group

http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?t=16905
Teddi