Birth Story... no pics yet... sorry

Announce your births and share your birth stories here.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47

Birth Story... no pics yet... sorry

Postby Gracie » Apr 24, 2006 12:40 am

Well, I figured its time to start writing it all down... the hours and days are just one big blur right now. The minimum stay post c/s is 4 days here but it can be longer depending on the circumstances... I am in no rush to leave, since the baby is staying here for a bit.

After the hg, bleeding, preterm labor, pprom, and multiple meltdowns... they decided to do a section at 33 weeks because it appeared (emphasis on "appeared") that he had not grown on the ultrasound.

They were more or less on-time for the section (not that I had much else to do!) and the spinal was super. My "little" guy was transverse so they were going to try to do a low-transverse (bikini) incision but did mention that it may be necessary to do a classic / inverted "T" incision but they could not tell in advance.

After much manipulation, they could not turn him with the low incision, so did an internal classic... meaning fortunately, it does not show because the skin was still a bikini cut that they just really retracted and stretched.

They still had difficulty turning him :!: and had to pull him out transverse... he sort of gasped and coughed and his apgars were 6-8-8
I looked over at the warmer and by the size of him knew that the estimates on weight were off. He did great but they took him to the NICU after a quick kiss from Mommy.

There was a lot of bleeding during the c/s... it got a little scary being awake throughout that time. My pressure dropped but responded well to the meds and some fluids; but it is an awful feeling. A dose of gravol combined with the whole ordeal sent me off to la-la land for a few moments and actually took the edge off. I didn't want anything stonger because I didn't want it to drop my pressure... which can happen.

Recovery room and my transfer to the post-partum unit were uneventful... I managed to get down to the NICU to see him at 18hrs old. Digital pics and a breast pump kept me focused until then.

LOL... I was sooooo mad at the docs who put me on a liquid diet until they were sure everything was fine post-op... so dh brought me some real food. And yes, all my foodments were included. In fact, the only thing that turns my stomach now is scrambled eggs, which I lived on throughout the hg. I've never been so thirsty for water... drinking 3 litres a day.

My "big" guy is doing well... he's feeding well, breast and bottles of pumped milk. He's jaundiced but responding well to the lights. Apart from that he does not look preterm but really just a miniaturized term baby. NICU life is weird from this perspective and everyone is being great to us... I think they know how bizarre this whole experience is for me. One of the residents saw me by the isolette taking his temp and fixing the sat probe and tried to give me a verbal order to up the IV fluids... sorry buddy, off duty right now. And the funky outfit is not scrubs, its pyjamas!

The IV was only for 24 hrs to stabilize his sugars... now we're just on a sat monitor, in the incubator and under the lights.

If he gains back the 100g (1/4 lb roughly) that he lost and his bilirubin is down, he could end up spending only 9 days in the NICU!

What a relief... I just want to thank you all for saving my sanity throughout this experience :lol: I could not have done it without you all!

Apart from anemia, fatigue, and major bruising, I am doing well. Advil and Tylenol cover the pain if I take them regularly. All hg and side-effects (reflux, heartburn, etc...) appear gone. No complaints that would not be normal for post-c/s :wink: Even tolerating massive doses of iron!
Gracie
Gracie
Master of HG

Postby caleighbelle47 » Apr 24, 2006 2:09 am

I'm so glad to hear things are going well. It's not unusual for weight estimates on an us to be wrong. Glad you little man isn't too small. Does he have a name yet? John weighed just under 6 lbs at 34 weeks so he was quite large. I sure hope you both are out of there soon and recovering. Can't wait to see pictures.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
http://caleighbabies.blogspot.com/
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby emmasmummy » Apr 24, 2006 5:44 am

So very pleased to hear all going so very, very well ... what a wonderful little trooper you have .. must take after Mummy ... take care of yourself as well ....

I too am so amazed how quickly my hg just disappears when the baby does!! I am loving not waking up with my head in the loo bowl or over the kitchen sink!!

Take care and I hope you are both home soon xxx
Chris
hg x 4
Emma 20/12/00
Sarah 14/06/02
Callum 28/12/03
Joshua 12/04/06
emmasmummy
Been There Done That

Postby Kadinga » Apr 24, 2006 6:59 am

Wow, you have done such a great job. :D I almost can't believe that his NICU stay could be only 9 days! That is SUCH good news. :D You've clearly given this little man everything he needed, Well done, well done, well done!!!!!!! Congratulations on getting yourself and your baby to the world on the other side of pregnancy.

((((((((Gracie and baby)))))))))))))

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby Atsie » Apr 24, 2006 7:05 am

Gracie,
That is great news. I am so glad to hear you are all doing well.
Can't wait to see pics and learn his name!
Take care!
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby blessedw4 » Apr 24, 2006 8:16 am

Gracie,

I am so glad to hear that he is doing so wonderfully. I also thrilled to hear that you are eating and drinking again. Can't wait to see pictures and hear his name. :D
Marti
With my 4 miracles Annie, Hannah, Nate, and Leah
"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." ~Mother Teresa
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end
blessedw4
HG Diva

Postby AmyMCGS » Apr 24, 2006 8:34 am

Congratulations!

I had my DD at 33 weeks by c-section... if you ever want to chat, drop me a PM! :)
~~Amy~~ HG Survivor x2
Mom to DD, born at 33 weeks-- 4/1/03
and DS, born at 30 weeks-- 6/21/06--10 weeks early, but doing well!
AmyMCGS
Been There Done That

Postby meg » Apr 24, 2006 9:31 am

It sounds as if you are all doing really well! I am so happy for you.
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby BrandiJK » Apr 24, 2006 9:51 am

Oh Gracie...it is so wonderful to hear you on the other side of HG! Congrats congrats congrats, you did it!!
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby HelenA » Apr 24, 2006 11:13 am

WOW I completely missed this thread!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :D

Can't wait to see pics of your little guy. And HG free? YEY for you!! (what's that like again? lol) :wink:
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Apr 24, 2006 1:29 pm

Congratulations, Gracie! Hooray!

So glad he's only going to be in NICU for a few more days.

As for the doc trying to order you around...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually spend a lot of my time professionally on the local maternity ward, doing stories about the health system up here (you know what the birth rate is like here! Guess I don't help, considering I'm on #3 :D )

Anyway, after my first baby, I was in the nursery while they gave him his vaccines, and a doc walked in and asked me where my recording equipment was! :lol: We was so used to me being there collecting sound of newborns and mommies!

He turned red when he realized I was in pjs and sitting in the nursing chair. :lol:

So happy for you -- rest up and feel better!
Mom to Alex, 12 -- NVP
Isaac, 10 -- NVP
Naomi, 8 -- HG
Edward, 4 -- avoided clinical HG through aggressive pre-emptive treatment and pure luck (aka medicated fluffy)
Cin
Forum Moderator

Postby dwtegli » Apr 24, 2006 3:03 pm

Oh Gracie, I am so glad everything is going well. Huge congratulations to you again, and I can't wait to see pics.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby carla » Apr 24, 2006 4:15 pm

wow Gracie, what an ordeal!

It sounds like everything is going well now, thank goodness!

Hope you and your little dude are home safely soon!

Congratulations!
Severe HG with DD (Gracee) 30/03/2006
Severe HG with DD (Amara) 01/04/2008
carla
HG Diva

Postby Proudmama » Apr 24, 2006 6:12 pm

Gracie,
I am so happy both you and your little one are doing well. I was really looking forward hearing your birth story. DH was even wondering how you both were doing :D . I have talked about our "Countdown Club" so much that he knows all of your names as well :lol: . We are both very relieved that all is well.
Keep healing and doing well and enjoy your little man.

Hugs,
Jamie
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby Babyontheway » Apr 24, 2006 6:27 pm

Congratulations Gracie!!!! I'm so happy for you!!! Glad to hear that you and your baby boy are doing well. Thank you for posting your birth story. I was waiting for the update :D

Take it easy and enjoy being HG free! :wink:
Lynn

EDD May 26, 2006
Babyontheway
Opinionated HGer

Postby Gracie » Apr 25, 2006 3:19 am

Sorry guys... brain is mush... I though I had written his name but it was actually in a pm to Suzanne since we chose to name our little guy Jack (her son is also Jack) after his grandfather.

I'm home now, and was grocery shopping (for prepared meals) ever interesting! If I could crawl in the dryer and savour the smell of fresh laundry and fabric softener for the first time in 33 weeks, I would... and driving home from the hospital without severe nausea was the biggest shock of all. I use hairspray and lipstick and everything :lol:
Last edited by Gracie on Apr 25, 2006 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gracie
Gracie
Master of HG

Postby IslandDreamer » Apr 25, 2006 3:24 am

Teehee...good name. But Gracie, look out...Jacks are cheeky little fellows :wink: .
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Atsie » Apr 25, 2006 4:03 pm

That is a nice name. I am glad yo are feeling better.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Apr 25, 2006 4:43 pm

Great name, and hooray for slaying the HG monster.

Now you can even go to the Byward Market in a few weeks, and enjoy the fresh flowers on sale!
Mom to Alex, 12 -- NVP
Isaac, 10 -- NVP
Naomi, 8 -- HG
Edward, 4 -- avoided clinical HG through aggressive pre-emptive treatment and pure luck (aka medicated fluffy)
Cin
Forum Moderator

Postby _Laurie » Apr 25, 2006 5:58 pm

Congratulations!!
Laurie
3HG pregnancies: 2 sweet girls 4/01, 4/03, and my twins 1/27/07

We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world.
-Helen Keller
_Laurie
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Birth Announcements