birth story and pics

Announce your births and share your birth stories here.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47

birth story and pics

Postby carla » Apr 08, 2006 11:56 am

HI ladies!

It has been 9 days now since my little button was born. It all happened relatively fast, well except for the 20 hours of labor! YIKES!

On Wed. March 29th, I went in for my routine appointment with my OB. He noticed that I had the beginning of Pre-eclampsia with protein in my urine. Things were progressively getting a bit worse. I was nauseous and vomiting, tired and very uncomfortable. My ankles were the size of an elephants. I was sent immediately to the hospital for blood work and a non stress test. Both tests came back fine, but the on call OB decided that it was probably best to induce me anyway. I look back and wonder if this was the right decision now, as Gracee just wasn't ready to come. She was very high still, and her head was not down in my pelvis.

This made for an incredibly long labor. The IV drip was started at 3pm and my water was broken at 6pm. My dh was working during the day, but his work let him come to the hospital immediately after I was admitted. I made the huge mistake of not eating before going to my app't so, I hadn't eaten since the night before. When I was at the hospital they wouldn't let me eat either, so I was famished!

Dilation from 2-3cm took 12 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought for sure I would die with it taking so long. Many times my contractions were coming too fast and harsh, so they had to lower the dose of oxytocin in my IV. The pain hit hard soon after 3 cm. I tried the gas. It helped for about an hour. Then I was ready for something more. I am not a superwomen. I knew that I was going to have to have something for the pain. I requested an epidural. The anesthesiologist had to drive in 30 minutes to the hospital. Needless to say, by this point I was in huge pain. He put in the epi and it helped for about 30 minutes. It was a nice break. He left and went home again, and then the stupid thing stopped working. It turned out that the line had curled and so the medication was not getting in. Well, he had to drive back in to the hospital at 4 am, and it felt like he was coming from BRAZIL! He inserted a new line, which didn't work long either. A different anesthesiolgist inserted a stronger med into my line, but of course that didn't work either. I was feeling every contraction!!!!!!!

At about 18 hours I was totally finished! I was absolutely exhausted and famished. I had been vomitting throughout the labor. I knew I would be pushing and throwing up at the same time! :mrgreen: With 2 holes already in my spine we decided to have a spinal epidural. It numbs everything. AND LET ME TELL YOU, for the 3 minutes that I had it, it was FANTASTIC! Baby Gracee was born at 11:37 am March 30th with the help of forceps. She was still high up while I was pushing, and very very close to a c-section. What an incredible miracle. After 9 months of barfing and nausea, dizziness, SPD pelvis pain, fainting, and so much more everything was worth it!

My dh and I just sat and cried and cried at her beauty. We just couldn't stop staring at her, and her bright red hair! I just could believe that you could fall totally in love with something so quickly. She is such a gift. One that i will treasure forever with every ounce of my heart. SHe is also daddy's little girl. I have never seen him so at peace. We feel blessed!

The joy and delight of finally having our baby, made it easier to deal with the spinal headache I received from having 3 holes in my spine. THe CSF fluid was leaking in and out of the holes. I was going to have to get a blood patch done to cover the holes, but that would have meant another hole in my spine. So I ended up lying flat on my back in the hospital for 2 days straight trying to naturally get the holes to coagulate. Success, no trouble with the headache since!

We were in the hospital for 5 days. I wanted to come and write to you all so much sooner. So sorry joanna that I forgot to bring your number with me. Steve was able to stay at the hospital with me. THey had a pull out couch for him, so it was a big help. Unfortunately though, we didn't get a chance to get the number to call and give and update. So this is where I disappeared to for a week!

What an experience. No-one can tell you how incredible it is. It is definately something that you need to experience in order to full understand the miracle of life. What a rollercoaster. I feel like my HG ride has ended, and my new journey (perhaps on the baby rollercoaster) has just begun!

And now, I have this beautiful precious little girl. She is all mine, but I can't wait to share her with the world!

Last edited by carla on Apr 08, 2006 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Severe HG with DD (Gracee) 30/03/2006
Severe HG with DD (Amara) 01/04/2008
carla
HG Diva

Postby bibliojo » Apr 08, 2006 12:07 pm

Carla,

You have me crying too!! I'm so happy for you and Steve. What a cutie she is! So sorry that you had a difficult labour - why is that we have to have hard pregnancies and hard labours?? But I'm glad that your headache has gone away and the rest of the pains will go away too in a few weeks. And isn't it just great not being pregnant anymore??? :D

I can't wait until the summer when I can come up and see you and Gracee! She just looks like so much fun!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Proudmama » Apr 08, 2006 12:12 pm

Carla,
She is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations on a job well done :D . I had tears in my eyes while reading your birth story. I am so happy to hear that you are all doing well. Enjoy your little girl. God grants us no more precious of a gift than our children.

Hugs,
Jamie
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby Jolene » Apr 08, 2006 12:14 pm

Congratulations! What a beautiful girl!
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby Atsie » Apr 08, 2006 2:23 pm

Carla,
Congratulations! She is just beautiful! It is funny, in the pic of her and her daddy she looks just like him but in the pic of you and her she looks just like you! She is just so cute. The three pictures are just amazing.

Congratulations!!!!
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby kelsymama » Apr 08, 2006 8:14 pm

your little girl is a doll!!! I love the pic of her and her daddy. it'll be no time and she'll have him wrapped around her little finger (if its not already!) Congrats!!

Kelsy
kelsymama

Postby Cin » Apr 08, 2006 11:31 pm

Oh, Carla, she's so lovely. Congrats!

If you end up in a CBC studio (if the interview goes ahead :wink: ) you need to bring her. I want to hear that baby girl!

Cin
Mom to Alex, 12 -- NVP
Isaac, 10 -- NVP
Naomi, 8 -- HG
Edward, 4 -- avoided clinical HG through aggressive pre-emptive treatment and pure luck (aka medicated fluffy)
Cin
Forum Moderator

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Apr 09, 2006 1:35 am

How gorgeous, and how touching your story is! what a hard time you had, but you did it!!
I adore the pics. Yes, she's got daddy all wrapped around her tiny little fingers. The one with you is stunning, and the one with the doggie is SOO funny! Doggie looks like the best cradle any baby could have :lol:

Hugs, hugs

Sarah
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby AmberWest » Apr 09, 2006 3:56 am

for the 3 minutes that I had it, it was FANTASTIC!
Amen sister!

I too am sorry you had such a hard labor. I had about every minus the belly cut that could go wrong, well, go wrong as well. But you are so right. THey are worth every bit of it! Your daughter is just beautiful! :D
AmberWest
Master of HG

Postby rjdecker » Apr 09, 2006 11:10 am

Carla, she is so beautiful! I love the pic of her with the dog!

Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby mshellebean27 » Apr 09, 2006 3:01 pm

Carla, She is so sweet!!! I love the pictures... I am sorry you had such a hard labor, but I am happy that you are HG free!! :D Michelle
mshellebean27
Been There Done That

Postby Kadinga » Apr 09, 2006 5:58 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I am SO proud of you for so many reasons, but I bet that fades into absolute insignificance next to how amazed you must be at yourself. :wink: Look what you can do! It would be lovely for us if it wasn't so hard, and that birth saga at the end is totally unfair, but that reward of holding your very own baby that you made yourselves is SO worth it. It's such a reminder of what my DH keeps telling me, that while other's are running around after us for all those months we are doing the biggest job of all.

((((((((Carla, Carla's DH and Gracee))))))))))

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby IslandDreamer » Apr 09, 2006 11:27 pm

(((Carla)))

She's beautiful. I'm so thrilled she's here in your arms.

And your labor? I'm so sorry...sounds similar enough to mine that I had to stop reading :roll: ...notice no birth story from Suzanne anywhere around here :? . It's so not fair to get all the pain of natural child birth (since the happy drugs don't work) and none of the glory for natural birth, is what a friend told me :roll: . We know EXACTLY how hard you worked and send praise after praise after praise.

I'm just giddy...can you tell. SOOOO happy for you.

Love,
Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby carla » Apr 10, 2006 5:49 pm

Thanks everyone!

I am just thrilled with everything!
Severe HG with DD (Gracee) 30/03/2006
Severe HG with DD (Amara) 01/04/2008
carla
HG Diva

Postby BrandiJK » Apr 11, 2006 8:10 am

She is just so beautiful!!! I loved reading your birth experiance. I am sorry it had no much pin to it, but your reward is just amazing and so touching
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby krisalis » Apr 11, 2006 5:22 pm

I want a red haired baby! Congrats on your beautiful new addition.

Kris
krisalis
HG Expert

Postby karolinagurl20 » Apr 11, 2006 6:00 pm

LOVE the pictures i want to jump through the computer screen to squeeze her!!! Im so happy hg is over for you carla!! Have fun with baby. Kayla
severe HG
1st and last timer
karolinagurl20
Been There Done That

Postby Gracie » Apr 11, 2006 6:15 pm

Carla.... what a beautiful baby! I love that first pic where she looks as though she is laughing...

Wow, what a birth story. You made a comment about not being strong, but I think you are incredibly strong to not scream for a section after the hg pregnancy and then 12 hrs to get fro 2 to 3 cm. Wow!

Congrats
Gracie
Gracie
Master of HG

Postby blessedw4 » Apr 12, 2006 8:12 am

Congratulations Carla. She is just beautiful.
Marti
With my 4 miracles Annie, Hannah, Nate, and Leah
"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." ~Mother Teresa
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end
blessedw4
HG Diva

Postby blessedw4 » Apr 12, 2006 8:12 am

Congratulations Carla. She is just beautiful.
Marti
With my 4 miracles Annie, Hannah, Nate, and Leah
"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." ~Mother Teresa
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end
blessedw4
HG Diva

Next

Return to Birth Announcements