Question about the fathers of HG babies

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

Did the father of the HG baby(ies) smoke, drink, or do any sort of drugs while you conceived??

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes : 114

Question about the fathers of HG babies

Postby UKmommy » Aug 25, 2005 1:09 am

Ok weird, I know..but just a thought. I have had 3 pregnancies. The first pregnancy was NOT an hg pregnancy...the dad of the baby(well, my boyfriend when I was 17 :oops: ) did not smoke, drink, use any medication, etc. The second preg was MASSIVE hg..the dad was on crack( I did not know this at the time) as well as he smoked, and did a variety of drugs. And now Josh, my dear MILD hg. Dave just smokes, and takes strong painkillers for a back injury now and again. Just another demented theory about HG for me! lol

1 NON hg pregnancy, Dusty, 16 years old
2 Severe Hg pregnancy, loss
3 Mild HG pregnancy Josh, 6 years old

Preg with twins due Feb 2011. Fluffy pregnancy !!!
UKmommy
Been There Done That

Postby mommy_bug2 » Aug 25, 2005 10:46 am

My husband is a smoker... But does not drink or do any of those other things. Thank goodness we were both our of our experimental party phase when we met.

Marjie
3xhg survivor Destiny Morgan 4 & Talen Arron 3 & Ivy Grace 16 months

HG FREE FOREVER!!!!
mommy_bug2
Been There Done That

Postby BrandiJK » Aug 25, 2005 1:17 pm

I didn't vote because my children have two different fathers, couldn't figure out how to do that. But the theory does not work in my case.

1st husband was as clean as a whistle, and so was I. That was my worst HG.

2nd hubby (my most of the time sweet dh) is not clean as a whistle. When we first met, we were both coming off very hard time, both divorced within the past few years, both pretty much just giving up. I did not get to see my daughter often and she was growing away from me every day. So...I will admit I was pretty much not sober often, and neither was he. About 1 1/2 month after we started dating, second DD was cooking in the oven. I cleaned up quick, but the theory of drink and drugs interacting is blown because this was mild HG and was VERY light by 6 months.

I am now on thrid baby, HG is more moderate. Worse then second, almost, but not quite, as bad as first. We planned this one, I was clean with the exception of wine now and again, was on vitamins, protein shakes, all that health stuff. Hubby just sticks to his beers and maybe a jack and coke once in a while, nothing heavy though. He does smoke, and I quit smoking about a month before I discovered I was pregnant.

So, theory doesn't work in my case, but I can see the logic.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

not even close

Postby C'Smom » Aug 25, 2005 3:16 pm

I voted no in this poll. In fact, my husband was in his best shape and health at the time of the last HG conception...he had just run the California International Marathon...26 miles (he has never drank, smoked, or used drugs)
C'Smom

Postby di » Aug 25, 2005 4:24 pm

My dh enjoys maybe 2-3 drinks on a friday night....and the occasional shot or glass of wine during the week and so do I, but neither of us "drinks" per se... he's never smoked more than 3 cigarettes in his life- i've had about the equivalent of one packet over the course of my life and neither of us has ever tried recreational drugs - Zofran doesn't count! So I'd have to say in my case no- it doesn't seem to make any difference!
Di 8)
Severe HG Jazmin Briella born 27/05/2005.
Severe HG weeks 2-15, Mild week 16 - week 29 Moderate - Mild to delivery. Nathan Finlay, born 5 March 2009.
di
Been There Done That

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 25, 2005 10:05 pm

I voted yes because dh was a smoker when I conceived Chris (and I was on Prozac, if that matters). He is the fathe of all five in my sig...2 nonHG short pgs, 1 mild pg (with his heavy smoking), 1 severe pg (with him chewing nicotine gum), and one moderate well-managed pg (again with the gum).

Interesting thought for sure.

(And I'm in such a crabby mood today, I opened this hoping I could blame him for all my illness :lol: :wink: ...ooops....gotta stop being so cranky.)
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Natalie » Aug 26, 2005 8:46 am

Hi there

My dh is pretty clean of everything except the odd glass of wine here and there. I would say though that my HG has been moderate (pgy #1) and mild / moderate (pgy#2). I'm sure the reason why this pgy is easier than the first is due to me being more proactive in my care rather than whether dh had more or less alcohol. What small medical research on this there is seems to back this up.

Love Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 26, 2005 10:59 am

I voted no, dh and I have never been on drugs, drank alcohol or smoked. Mild HG the 1st, mod. the 2nd.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby Kadinga » Aug 26, 2005 8:12 pm

My Dh has a couple of beers 2 or maybe 3 times a week. He also sometimes takes paracetamol for migraine headaches.

We were celebrating New Years the night we conceived Heather, so Champagne for both of us.

Interesting thought

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby Jolene » Aug 26, 2005 8:40 pm

Biological father of my two older children was a drug addict, and smoker of anything and everything. I had no HG with those two prgenancies. My husband, father of this baby, smoked (quit two months ago! :D ) and drinks beer (works in a brewery). Mild to moderate HG with this pregnany. It doesn't make much sense, does it? HG will never make sense to me.

Jolene
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby nomore » Aug 27, 2005 11:08 am

I voted No. DH doesnt smoke, do drugs, and maybe has a drink 4 to 5 times a year (at a picnic or wedding). Same as me, except for the drinking part, which I was a social drinker (1 to 2 drinks) at parties or happy hour with co-workers prior to my 1st pregnancy. Since my 1st pregnancy I have had maybe 3 drinks... it doesnt appeal to me anymore, and of course none now, as Im prego... although I had to laugh, as NO beverages appeal to me, but 2 weeks ago, at a family gathering, someone was drinking a wine cooler and it sounded good to me... Oh well... maybe post pregnancy!

Back to Dh. Hes an avid runner. Big on vitamins, etc. Not a health nut per se (he has an addiction to junk food), but overall very healthy. He is the father for all 3 of my pregnancies.

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby HelenA » Sep 07, 2005 4:25 pm

DP smokes, and has the occasional drink when we are out, although we were both drunk the night Kimi was concieved! Neither of us have ever done drugs.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby Susannah » Sep 23, 2006 9:51 pm

DH had a couple drinks 1-2 times a month, but never smoked or did drugs. I had mild HG by HER chart (it didn't feel mild living through it :D)
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Postby Ben's Mom » Sep 25, 2006 1:48 pm

We had been TTC for 3 yrs. when I finally got p/g (and no b/c for 6 years total). DH is a cancer survivor, so we knew the odds were stacked against us. So neither of us drank (alcohol or caffeine), smoked, did druges, etc. We both ate really well, exercised and took vitamins.

Ben's Mom
Been There Done That

Holy Smock!

Postby Gul. » May 02, 2007 8:46 am

My ex husband did smock, but my husband is not smoking or drinking, but he was using some blood pressure medications, blood thinners, and whatever else, in my book he overdid on painkillers, like tylenol. At the time he was 46 years old, and used all sorts of medicines irresponsibly, thinking they are going to solve his health problems, while actually creating a chain reaction of side-affects.
Gul.

Return to Polls & General HG Questions