Do your family members have HG?

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

Does HG run in your family?

Yes, I am not the only HGer in the family.
40%
No, I am the only HGer in my family.
60%

Total votes : 206

Not the only HGer

Postby JoeLinVeneto@yahoo.com » Jan 14, 2006 8:16 am

HGer's

Me, 1 Sister, 1 cousin (twins)

Non HGer's

mom, 1 sister, 4 cousins, 6 aunts
1 son, HG preg as well as many other problems, he is 2 now and I love him to death!
JoeLinVeneto@yahoo.com

Postby caleighbelle47 » Feb 07, 2006 4:26 am

I'm the only one I know of in my family to have HG.

My grandmother had 8 kids with no problems and my mother had 5 kids and didn't even have morning sickness.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
http://caleighbabies.blogspot.com/
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

the only one

Postby verysickmommy » Mar 04, 2006 11:43 pm

my mom for both pregnancy never even puked or had any syptom of queaziness as for my grandma and two aunts

but my cousin had some queaziness in her first three months
i'm the only one who throws up constantly i have lost 24lbs and is nausous all day i'm also 19 weeks and 4 days
verysickmommy

Postby Cin » Mar 12, 2006 12:12 am

Had HG:
Just me.

However, my mom had NVP with all three of her pgs (2 kids, 1 m/c). Didn't lose weight or dehydrate, but lived on popsicles for about a month each time.

NO HG:
Everyone else, it seems. They're all members of the cracker club. (Though my MIL LOVES to go on about how sick she was with her last pg, everyone else says she was fine -- could still play baseball!)
Mom to Alex, 12 -- NVP
Isaac, 10 -- NVP
Naomi, 8 -- HG
Edward, 4 -- avoided clinical HG through aggressive pre-emptive treatment and pure luck (aka medicated fluffy)
Cin
Forum Moderator

Postby Beccy » Mar 17, 2006 10:54 am

No - one in my family has had HG - my mum had "glorious" pregnanies and felt really guilty that i suffered so much!!

In my case it is definately that hormones in excess literally poison me and make me fell like hell - I felt sick and slighly HGish when taking the contraceptive pill and couldn't have coils ibecause after having three different types put in and all of them upsetting me so mcuh they gave up and I decided to give up on contraception - hence my fourth daughter was born and I'm now looking into sterilisation!! :D
:D :D
Beccy
Welcomed Friend

Postby jexia » Mar 18, 2006 6:45 pm

My mother and I have had it, though it was never an official diagnosis for her. Interestingly, her first was an IUGR baby, and his new baby was also an IUGR baby!
jexia
Been There Done That

Postby dakotamidnight » Mar 22, 2006 12:53 am

Had it -

Mom had it only in her 3rd of 4 pg's - but fairly mildly though. Enough to understand a bit, and help out. She only gained 13 lbs total in that pg, and brother was born at 4 lbs 9 oz. None of his kids are HG'ers though. She did have m/s with every pg though, early on and lasting long.

Didn't have it -
?

I'm not too sure on my sisters - they are all half siblings on father's side. Never heard of it though, but then I'm not close to that side of family.
mommy to Trinity 9/06 hg pg
dakotamidnight

Postby Zephra » Mar 24, 2006 9:58 pm

I have HG
My mom had HG
My Grandma had HG
My Aunt had HG

Zephra
Zephra

Postby Amber K. » Mar 26, 2006 3:08 am

With HG:
Me, possibly my paternal grandmother, but hard to tell because she always thinks she's dying.

W/O Hg:
mom (4 pgs), 3 sisters (8 pgs between them), maternal grandmother (4 pgs), 2 nieces (3 between them)
Amber K.

Postby Terri » Mar 28, 2006 4:46 am

So my mom comes to me this weekend and says she had been talking on the phone to my grandmother. Grandma asked how I'm doing. Mom told her I'm getting better. Grandma mentioned how sick SHE had been when she was pregnant.

My mom says yes, she (mom) remembers how awful it was, too. Grandma says "well, yes, but you were able to work through your whole pregnancy." And my mom says "well, you did, too, didn't you?"

Grandma says "oh no. Grandpa made me a bed in the kitchen. I had a pail to throw up in and a pail to pee in. He would fix me up something to drink before he went off to work, and there I stayed all day. The only way I could keep anything down was to take little sips now and then."

And then I'm thinking - oh, my poor daughter.

BUT - maybe there is a silver lining here. If my grandma was as sick as I was, but my MOM wasn't as sick, even though I'm sure she also had HG, then maybe the severity skips a generation, and my daughter will get it less severely.

I'll let you all know in 20 years how that's worked out for us.
~~Terri
Cassidy Joan HG 06/07/01
Mystery Baby HG Due 08/14/06
Terri
Been There Done That

I don't really know..

Postby BlueLittleBella » Apr 05, 2006 2:31 pm

I am not sure, really. What I do know, is that a lot of female relatives have suffered from morning sickness. I do think that was it, that it wasn't HG.
When I had HG, my grandmother and my great grand would say "Oh, I had it too, it was terrible. But everyone had it back then and no one had to go to hospital or take drugs" - it might be that they have forgotten how bad it really was, but I really don't think so...

So my final answer is NO.
Leonard Sept 2007 & Maja Dec 2004
HG with both.
MA Jan 2010 week 15, HG week 6-15.
MA April 2010 week 10, no nausea at all.
BlueLittleBella
Been There Done That

Postby tlazarin » Apr 06, 2006 1:12 pm

My mom had HG in 5 pregnancies -- four healthy children, one miscarriage at 5 months.

My sister has chosen not to have children.

I've had 4 pregnancies: 1 miscarriage, 1 healthy son delivered at 36 weeks (HG), 1 ectopic, 1 termination (Severe HG).

Neither of my 2 aunts have children, not sure what the reasons are, but they are on my father's side.

No aunts on my mother's side

It is unknown if either of my grandmothers had HG.
Trish in MASS
son Ethan, 2yrs, HG, preemie
lost Angel 1/31/06
tlazarin

Postby queen bee » Apr 11, 2006 2:10 pm

im the only HGer in my family as far as i know on my dads side of the family i have my grandmother who had 5 pg with no sickness at all, 3 of my aunties have children and had little to no nausea or morning sickness, but on my mothers side im not 100% because my my mother had such an easy pregnancy with me that she didnt even know she was pg till 7 months as she was still having periods! with my brother she has a little morning sickness but nothing out of the ordinary, and my grandmother was fine as well. thats as far back as i know as my grandmother (my mothers mother) was adopted so there could be history of it further back but as far as i know its just me whos had it.
queen bee

Postby JustMelissa » Jun 04, 2006 6:36 am

My mom had HG when she was preggers with me, she was very sympathetic for both of my HG pregnancies. I have twin brothers who are two years younger than me and I don't know if she was sick or not, I'll have to ask her. I don't know about my grandma from my mom's side and my dad is an orphan- no family at all to ask.

JustMelissa
HG Expert

it runs in the family

Postby notagain! » Jun 09, 2006 5:34 pm

Mom 4 kids, 4 HG pg

Grandma (maternal) 1 HG pg

Me: 2 kids, 3 HG pg

Nobody on dad's side. I bet my little sister will have it too.
Mercedes
Josefina 1st tri HG born June 2002
Joaquin 1st tri HG born March 2004
3rd HG pg miscarried at 11 wks, ended up in ICU
Mom and Grandma also HGers
notagain!

Postby Mommy Michelle » Jun 09, 2006 6:28 pm

I'm the only one, my mom was never sick, I have no sisters, and my aunts never had kids. My grandmothers have passed, so I don't know their histories.
Mommy Michelle
Welcomed Friend

Postby mammaclare » Jun 09, 2006 7:55 pm

So far I am the only one. My mom was fine, and so were grandmothers--one of whom had 13 kids. Maternal aunt doesn't have kids, and of my 5 paternal aunts 3 had no problems and 2 didn't have kids.

I am terrified about my sister however. I hope that she doesn't suffer from HG because it is so miserable of course, but also because she is tiny tiny and only weighs 100-105 lbs normally...so for her there just is NOT weight to lose safely. At least I am fluffier so even a 20lb loss doesn't make me look like a famine victim. If she does have it, I will be on the phone to her OB insisting on TPN almost right away. She is planning to start a family next year sometime, so I guess we will find out at that time if she is an HGer too.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby nataliesmom » Jul 22, 2006 7:59 pm

Both my mother and her sister had severe NVP - most likely HG, although it wasn't diagnosed as such. All pregnancies were singletons. My mom was unable to care for me for a good portion of her pregnacny with my brother and was given IV fluids multiple times.
nataliesmom
Opinionated HGer

Postby Rachel » Jul 22, 2006 8:33 pm

I suspect my paternal grandmother of having HG, or at least severe NVP. Her first son, my dad, was two months premie. This was in the fifties. They told her not to bond to him as he would die before age 2 from being born so small. Luckily he grew up healthy and at genius intelligence. Anyway, she had 4 kids in 5 years and said she puked constantly with all 4, and that the vomiting continued for days after each pregnancy. She also had problems with her ears swelling and leaking fluid, and had to have several corrective surguries, though I have no clue if that was in any way HG related.

If she truly had HG, I have no idea how she took care of the first three by the time the fourth came. I plan to talk to her more indepth about her experiences this summer, since that was all stuff I just sort of knew about but haven't really sat down and talked to her about.

Her daughter, my aunt, had 'horrible, hard pregnancies' but again, I don't know details. I do know she almost died with her second, who is autistic, and didn't have any more children because of it. It's possible she had HG, I'll ask her.

Besides those women and now me, no one else that I no of had HG. Certainly not my mother's side of the family. They don't seem to have any health problems, but are healthy horses until their nineties or so. Lucky them. My dad's side has every health problem in the book, and whee, I seem to have gotten his genes.
Rachel
HG Expert

Postby tgger007 » Jul 22, 2006 9:22 pm

My mom had HG with all three pregnancies at different levels. However, she never got sick the whole way through and felt better starting the 3rd. She was hospitalized with my brother and had to take a shot once a week for 2 of the pregnancies. The 3rd, me, was her easiest. My older brother was the hardest.

My Aunt might of had it on my father side, but one of my cousins did all 2 of hers.
Crystalyn

tgger007
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Polls & General HG Questions