Do your family members have HG?

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

Does HG run in your family?

Yes, I am not the only HGer in the family.
40%
No, I am the only HGer in my family.
60%

Total votes : 206

Do your family members have HG?

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 18, 2005 7:54 pm

I am interested to know who has family members who have had HG. If you have a family member who has had HG, please post after the poll and list all female family members who have had HG, and then tell me as well if there are female family members who have NOT had HG, too. If there is a female in the family with no pregnancy history, she doesn't count one way or the other, and please indicate if the HG was a twin pg.

For a fake example:

HAS HG:

Mom, me, 1 sister, 1 cousin, 1 aunt

DOES NOT HAVE HG:

2 aunts, 5 cousins, 1 sister

Andy
Last edited by Ivydragon on Aug 24, 2005 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby Jolene » Aug 18, 2005 9:16 pm

No other women in my family (that I know of) had HG.

Mother, 3 sisters, numerous aunts and cousins.

Jolene
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby JennyK » Aug 18, 2005 9:32 pm

I'm the only one so far. My mom had normal morning sickness and I don't have a sister so we'll probably have to wait and see if Annie has the HG curse.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby Kadinga » Aug 18, 2005 10:00 pm

Hmmmm,

This is a little hard to answer as my mother's story evolves a little further every time she tells it. She could have been had morning sickness or mild HG. I've done my maths on the stories that my father tells (more consistently :wink: ) and I know that her vomitting went well into her 2nd trimester. I also know that we didn't travel to my cousin's wedding when she was pg with my twin brothers, because she felt so awful, and that Dad took over getting my other two bros and I off to school in the mornings during that pg. There are rumours of visible weight loss with all her pgs, but they only surfaced after I had lost 22pounds in 3 weeks. Also, with me (her second pg) she was "afternoon sick, not morning sick". If she wasn't such a passionate member of the cracker club, I would think that HG was likely.

I also know that her mother was very sick in her pg, but I have none of the details that would indicate HG or m/s there.

My Great-great grandmother managed to get through something like 12 or 13 pg in an area where she had been the first white woman to live there, so she'd have had no help, probably not even a doc let alone a hospital, especially with the first few, so I doubt she could have had anything worse than m/s. Otherwise she'd have to have died a whole lot younger.

I have no sisters.

My father's sister never had a moment of feeling even sligthly off colour with her second, and only a little nausea with her first.

So I haven't voted, because I'm not sure, but it's possible that at least my mother might have had it.

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby bibliojo » Aug 18, 2005 10:59 pm

My mother had HG twice with her two pregnancies. One was a singleton pregnancy (me) and the second a twin pregnancy.

I've heard family reports that my great-grandmother and great aunt (both on my mother's father's side) were deathly ill. It definately sounds like HG to me, but they weren't diagnosed as such, it being 100 years ago.

My cousin, the only other person who has been pregnant and also has my grandfather's genes, has had very bad morning sickness with her two pregnancies. She was on Diclectin to the very end of both of them but has never received a diagnosis of HG.

Those women in our familly that don't have my grandfather's genes have had normal pregnancies so I think there is definately some heritidary link to HG!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 19, 2005 12:20 am

Just me, wonderful me. :?

BUT - My maternal grandmother had NVP bad enough to require a single B6 injection with each of her last two babies, my mom's niece had rather nasty NVP with her pregnancies and met up with our good friend the Phenergan suppository at one point, and my mother had fairly severe NVP with debilitating "morning sickness" in the first trimester and lingering nausea for the rest of both of her pregnancies.
Last edited by PamelaRose on Jan 02, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 19, 2005 12:23 am

My Mom had some pretty good NVP but no HG. But there are some great great grandmothers who died in childbirth or pregnancy (no one can get it straight), so HG may be out there.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby dwtegli » Aug 19, 2005 12:26 pm

I have one aunt on my father's side who could have had HG but did not have the diagnosis. I know she was on B6 injections the almost her whole pregnancies.

I have one sister who never had it, numerous other aunts, cousins, and my mother and all women on here side that have never had it.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby nomore » Aug 19, 2005 2:57 pm

My Paternal Grandmother had HG with all 4 pf her pregnancies. Her 1st (my father) being her worst. She told me it let up at around 4 to 5 months. She required IVs and hospital stays in all of her pregnancies. Her HG sounds more mild than at least my 1st pregnancy.

She and my grandfather (even though they live over 1000 miles away) clearly remember what a difficult time pregnancy was. My fathers 2 sisters, only 1 had NVP. The other suffered minor m/s.

My mother had NVP. She claims to have thrown up daily till she delivered. But, she was able to work, keep herself hydrated, and lead a pretty normal life. Although she admits she hated being pregnant. I am her only child. She has told me (since she was here to take care of me in the 1st trimester of my 1st pregnancy, and is also here now (has been since I was 9 weeks) that she was NOT nealry as sick as I am.

She and my father are both very compassionate about HG. My father has even told me my grandmother has guillt that her genes might have passed this on to me.... and the woman is in her early 80's.

I persoanlly wouldnt doubt that since part of my HG problems seems to be allergies to horomes (that I have confirmed allergic responses to via mucsle testing) are somewhat hereditary.

Intrestingly enough, my MIL had severe NVP with her 1st pregnancy (my SIL...who interstingly enough had NO m/s in any of her pregnancies). She was given B6 injections (and that was 39 years ago). She went on to just have 'normal" m/s in her 2 other full term pregnancies (and my DH was a twin pregnancy, although his twin was stillborn).

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby Natalie » Aug 19, 2005 3:18 pm

Hi

HAS HG
Me, my mum (undiagnosed but it sounds like it to me, puking and still on anti emetics in her 7th month) and my maternal grandmother (also undiagnosed but my mum told me that my gran's sickness was so bad that she had to move back to Belgium with her 3rd pgy to be taken care of by her mother and have her mother look after the kids)

DOES NOT HAVE HG
My sister, my 1 cousin who has had children, 1 aunt, 2 maternal great aunts

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby mandy » Aug 19, 2005 3:29 pm

Hi,

Ok, has hg:

Me, my mum (undiagnosed but medicated, hypersalivation etc Very, very sick). My mum had one pg with no hg, this was a twin miscarriage.
My maternal grandma was very poorly too, was not diagnosed with hg, but probable that it was.

No hg:

My sister, 2 aunties, 1 grandma, 4 cousins.

Mandy
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby Beth B » Aug 19, 2005 8:57 pm

Has HG - my maternal grandmother, we think.

Does not: my mom, my sister. Only woman on my Dad's side is my paternal grandmother, and she was fine.
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

Postby BrandiJK » Aug 20, 2005 11:11 am

With HG:
My mother (3 pregnancies, all HG), at least one aunt, one great aunt, and we think my maternal grandmother, but she died young of cancer so she was never asked directly. Also, though not family, several friends and a sister in law.
We believe this runs strong in my family, though have been disconnected from them for many years.

With out HG:
Aunt (8 pregnancies), and sister (3 pregnancies).
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby mrsbigdog » Aug 27, 2005 8:17 am

I have one aunt (on my father's side) who was not technically diagnosed with HG and was able to work but was on compazine for the entire pregnancy with all 3 children so I guess yes.

Interestingly this is the only family member remotely with HG. She is on my father's sister. My father's side of the family is full of immune disorders - allergies, asmatha, fybromyalgia, chron's disease, etc... My sister's both have these but not HG but I think the link is possibly genetic...

Me: 3 HG Pregnancies

Maternial Side: NO HG: Grandmother, Mom, one aunt and two sisters

Paternial Side: NO HG: Grandmother
HG: one Aunt
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Postby HelenA » Sep 06, 2005 6:09 pm

I'm the only one so far, In fact my mum never even had morning sickness with me... Guess I made up for it!
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby Guest » Sep 12, 2005 9:23 pm

None of the women in my family (maternal or paternal) have had HG or even a tiny bit of morning sickness! It made it very difficult for them to understand what I went through to have my gilrs. My mother has 5 sisters and they all had easy pregnancies...

Postby chichie » Sep 15, 2005 2:59 pm

Paternal side: no HG nowhere
maternal side: mother (4 children 4 HG), grandmother (3 children 3 HG), mother of the grandmother (2 children with HG and died at the third), a cousin, an aunt... I am just realizing that, on my maternal side, it is amazing but it seems that NO WOMEN had avoided HG :shock: I have other cousins but they have never been pregnant ... I just exactly share Rdevine10's opinion when she says that allergy to hormones is hereditary...
Elisa born on february 2004, 6kg610 and 52.5cm at week 38, after HG weignt loss 8%
chichie

great question!

Postby Hotbrass » Oct 19, 2005 7:38 pm

Yes, my mother was very ill with both my brother and I but was not diagnosed with HG. In the morning she couldn't even roll over without puking for the first almost three months.

Her mother my Grandmother is now 81 years old and remembers puking in public on the side of a street and was so embarrassed. She took a bus from Florida to Montana to be cared for by her new sister in laws she had never met. She puked in hankies the whole way!! Poor thing!

She had 5 pregnancies with one of them being twins that were stillborn two days before delivery (poor medical care, didn't even check for a heart beat!). She said that the first was the worst and got better each time.

We are the only ladies on that side and as for my dads side my Grandmother died early so I don't know.

Looking forward to the other responses. Monique
HGx4 - Long term dental issues and Esophageal Damage
Tank (19) Untreated! Fought Pre-E last 6 weeks
Angel (17) Untreated!
Cougar (10) 6 Zofran pills. Mild PPD
Pumpkin (4) Acupuncture, Chinese Medicine, Homeopathy, IV's, Zofran and you name it, I've probably tried it.
H.F.G. is in the arms of Jesus (Miscarriage at 3 months/I was 40) after 2 months in bed sick.
Hotbrass
Been There Done That

Postby Nightsong » Nov 08, 2005 11:41 pm

Let's put it this way- on my mother's side, my grandmother had 6 children. 3 of those had 6 children. Out of all those aunts, uncles, and cousins, no one had even HEARD of HG, or even severe m/s. We were somewhat estranged from my father's side of the family years ago, so I wasn't able to look into that.

My sister had some difficulty and was put on bedrest at 5 weeks on her first pg, but it seems to have been normal m/s. Her second pg was fluffy bunny, if that's the correct term.

My MIL, God bless her, told me that she vomited ONCE during each of her three pregnancies. Grrrrr! Some things are just not fair! :roll:
Julian Bryton born 1:12 AM Feb. 25, 2006 by unnecesarean for Dr. fatigue.
Kaya Brielle born ~2:15 pm July 10, 2009 breech hbac!
Nightsong

Here's my family

Postby kcmjpm23 » Nov 19, 2005 10:24 am

me 2x
mother 3x
sister never

Kelly
kcmjpm23

Next

Return to Polls & General HG Questions