32oz of liquid?! HELP!

Share HG-friendly foods or simple recipe ideas.

Moderators: Cin, caleighbelle47

32oz of liquid?! HELP!

Postby foxwoodfaerie » Dec 13, 2004 12:32 pm

I am still having a lot of problems keeping down liquids, especially clear liquids. Now I am having an u/s on Thursday and they say I have to drink 32 oz of clear liquid! They said if I can't keep it down, they will "fill me up" through a catheter. I don't want that!
The only liquids I can sort of keep down are orange juice and orange soda. They said both would make the baby really active and they wouldn't get good pictures.
I don't know what to do!
Anyone have any ideas of what I could drink on Thursday?
Thanks!
Ruth
Aidan, James and Thayer
and....I'm DONE!!!!
foxwoodfaerie
Been There Done That

Postby mammaclare » Dec 13, 2004 12:42 pm

Bull. I was only able to choke down barely 8 oz for my u/s and the tech said that it was perfectly fine. A lot depends on the baby's position and I may have been simply lucky, but no one even mentioned a catheter to insert fluids.

I had one friend who held her bladder for her u/s and was in pain and misery and when she got on the u/s table the baby's position actually was impeded by all the bladder and she was told to go pee and come back. She was not a happy girl!

If you want reassurance, you can call your OB, but I think you may be okay.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

x

Postby foxwoodfaerie » Dec 13, 2004 1:40 pm

Thank you, Clare,
I am really confused by this 32 oz requirement. I had my first son at a different hospital and never had to drink anything for my u/s's. So I just don't get why this hospital insists on it.
When I was 16, I had my appendix out and they did an u/s and used a catheter and I still remember how much it sucked so I really don't want that!
Ruth
Aidan, James and Thayer
and....I'm DONE!!!!
foxwoodfaerie
Been There Done That

Postby meg » Dec 13, 2004 1:59 pm

Ruth,

Honestly, I think some of these technicians are mad with power! With my first pg I had 32 oz. of lemonade -- good results. With my second pg I was in the bathroom puking up the 8 oz. of liquid I had managed to choke down, bile and finally dry heaving when they called my name for the u/s -- good results. With my third pg I drank 12 oz. of Coke and 20 oz. of water with about 4 fresh lemons squeezed into the water to make it palatable to me -- good results. So, I say drink what you can and don't worry about it. I don't normally counsel people to lie, but if the tech asks if you've had your 32 ozs of clear fluid just smile and say, "Yes." I doubt she'll even know the difference!

Good luck! I can't wait to hear about your healthy baby.
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby Natalie » Dec 13, 2004 6:21 pm

Hi

I just wanted to add my tuppence worth. A friend of mine was kept waiting so long for her u/s appt (they were running late at the hospital) that she could NOT hold it in any longer and she emptied her bladder completely. The radiographer had no problems seeing the baby!

Hth

Natalie
Natalie
Forum Moderator

x

Postby foxwoodfaerie » Dec 13, 2004 6:40 pm

Yeah, see, I think they are just stuck in their ways and won't change for anything. How can they possibly know the difference between orange soda and water in your bladder? If it's full, it's full, right?
I've decided to just drink one can of orange soda (which I almost always keep down) and go from there. I assume they'd rather have that than have me puking 32 oz of water all over the u/s tech, right?
Sheesh, I just gagged just from typing the "w" word!
Ruth
Aidan, James and Thayer
and....I'm DONE!!!!
foxwoodfaerie
Been There Done That

Postby caleighbelle47 » Dec 15, 2004 5:41 am

For my first ultrasound I drank the water and the second I drank coke. The results were the same. In fact for the second one the tech let me pee before they did it (I was about to burst) I completely drained my bladder and it went fine.

When I was in the hospital I had another and didn't drink anything before hand. I honestly don't think it makes a difference. Just some stupid "standard precedure" they refuse to get rid of. I think the women on this board are proof that your bladder doesn't have to be full.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
http://caleighbabies.blogspot.com/
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby dolphinsnb » Dec 15, 2004 12:26 pm

I agree with all the other posters. I've had quite a few USs with this pregnancy - several coming after my urine test in the doctor's office. So, I know I was empty and they were still able to see what we needed to see. When I went to the high risk for the level two US, the tech "yelled" at me about "Didn't they tell you to come with a full bladder?" But she was able to see everything just fine. And on the way to my second US at the high risk dr, I think I had a huge slurpee. All I know is that I had to go SOOOO bad, and they kept me waiting...and I was totally uncomfortable for the US - almost to the point that I thought I was going to be sick. So, I say you should drink what you can and don't worry about it. And I wouldn't let them do the cathedar (sp?) thing either. Who needs any extra discomfort now???

Shannon
dolphinsnb
Welcomed Friend

Return to Foodments