new here, depression and hg

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

new here, depression and hg

Postby Janehh » Oct 08, 2004 7:50 am

Hi everyone--I'm new here and have noticed that the postings on this topic are not as recent as others. Maybe I'll also post in the New to the Forum area? Anyway, I am pregnant with my second, and am home on IV fluids and taking Zofran. I'm not vomiting but can't stomach much food and very little to drink; it just seems to sit in my throat, it's horrible. I have also been treated long-term for depression and decided to stay on Zoloft during this pregnancy. I'm not in a true depression at this point but not feeling great either, so to be on the safe side have decided to stay on the meds.
Do people have experience taking Zoloft with hg? I think it makes me sicker. I've been taking it at night, hoping that will help. I also wonder about Zofran and Zoloft together--if they both work on serotonin, won't they cancel each other or something?
thanks.
Janehh
Been There Done That

Hi

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 12, 2004 8:39 am

Hope today is a good day for you.

When I was pg, I was give a rx for Prozac, not Zoloft. I do not know much about Zoloft and perinatal depression, but I know resources. www.postpartum.net has forums and research, and there is a perinatal depression team at the University of Michigan Depression Clinic.

I've seen recent studies that are hypothesizing a link between Prozac and preterm labor, but I haven't seen anything on Zoloft. I will do some research for you and return.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Janehh » Oct 12, 2004 4:29 pm

Thanks for your reply. I haven't gotten a lot of response to my postings and am feeling a bit desperate. This is a bad day--I just want it to end, and only 8 weeks into it. I can't enjoy anything and just want to sleep; I'm not even as bad off as many of the women here and getting decent medical care so I don't know why I'm collapsing now. It just stinks. anyway, I'll check out that site you mentioned.
Thanks
Janehh
Been There Done That

I'm sorry you aren't getting responses

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 12, 2004 7:33 pm

I have seen this post and will be back in to reply tonight. Take care of yourself. Be encouraged. We care and will help you through this.

Have you had problems with depression in the past? I have resources, my own experiences, and a desire to support you.

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Janehh » Oct 13, 2004 7:32 am

Thanks, Suzanne. I have had trouble in the past; this doesn't seem to be a "full-blown" depression at this point, compared to other episodes. I'm just feeling sorry for myself, I guess! It's just hard to face the fact that this isn't going away anytime soon when I want it to end so badly.
thanks for the support.
Jane
Janehh
Been There Done That

Postby dwtegli » Oct 13, 2004 8:18 am

Jane,
I two have had problems with depression in the past. When I was pregnant with this last child it was terrible. I think we all get depressed in the midst of HG. I went through a time when I just didn't want to be pregnant at all. The pregnancy was a complete shock and I wasn't very happy about it to begin with, then when I wound up with HG, I was devastated. I did consider abortion and that really surprised me as I love kids. Then I found this site. I don't know what would have happened had I not found it. Now I have a beautiful baby boy and am feeling much better.
Don't be to hard on yourself for the way you are feeling, we all went through it or are going through it.

Hugs,
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

ppd

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 14, 2004 12:49 am

Hi Jane,

Sorry I didn't post last night as I said...fell asleep and was out from 9pm til 10am. That's tired, eh?

Welcome to the forum. It's such a relief to be among women who understand. For me, I had never met (in person) a woman with hg until about two weeks ago when I learned one of the other preschool moms had hg twice.

The statistics are high for peri and post natal depression with hg, and with a history of depression (I have one too), you are at higher risk. There are treatments available if necessary, but have you considered therapy to express your concerns and to grieve the loss of a normal pregnancy? Also, staying hydrated and getting vitamins in the IV if you are on fluids will help the depression. Are you able to get around at all? Walk, keep vitamins down, keep any fluids in?

The isolation and loneliness can be overwhelming. Have you requested a hg buddy yet? You can be connected with an hg survivor who will offer support. PamelaRose is the coordinator. The thread to get a buddy is in "New to Forum--Pregnant."

Wendy said,
[quote]When I was pregnant with this last child it was terrible. . . .I went through a time when I just didn't want to be pregnant at all. The pregnancy was a complete shock and I wasn't very happy about it to begin with, then when I wound up with HG, I was devastated.[/quote]

I could have written that. I was so desperate that I asked my doctor to take the baby out at my first appointment. Thank God, she just laughed at me, which at the time wasn't a good thing as I wanted to kick her. With this baby, Hope, nothing was working with the hg, I was in the ER twice before 9 weeks; I tried many medications. I was miserable and thought life couldn't get worse. I was wrong. Sadly, there is no happy ending for me. I should be 32 weeks but am not as I miscarried in May. Now I'm facing postpartum depression with empty arms. I tell you this because I wish someone had told me: love your baby right now, while you can...no matter what, you want your child to experience your love, especially during the hg and depression. I didn't give that to my daughter as I was too angry. Now I must wait a life time to tell her I love her. :cry:

Hg and depression are horrid. We will do whatever we can to support you. Please let me know if I can do any research or check on resources for you.

Best,
Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Janehh » Oct 26, 2004 4:20 pm

Thanks for your reply, Suzanne. I will try to love this little lima bean as much as I can!
I'm still hanging in there, with no real changes. Still home from work, on IV's and meds not helping. I'm not losing too much weight, since I get some calories from the IV and I really don't move around that much! Hoping for improvement with the 2nd trimester in a couple of weeks...who knows, it could happen!
best,
Janehh
Janehh
Been There Done That

Hang in there- I am thinking of you

Postby mom of two » Oct 17, 2005 9:32 pm

I am so sorry you are feeling so terrible. I think it is very normal- though it stinks. HG makes pregnancy very lonley. People don't understand unless they have had it or in my opinion in less they take the time to understand.

You will get throught his though and you will get back to normal.

I am pregnant for the thrid time with HG. I have a two year old. I have been very depressed. I don't even answer the phone anymore. I can not stand people questions and comments. I have found trying to do things that make me feel good are my main gola. While there is very little that makes me feel good I try. I go to the hospital for IV infusion three times a week. I have been hospitalized 8 times without a vistor except my sone and husband.

I know it is going to get better- I hang on to that to get me through. I am thinking of you and hoping your meds will kick in and give you some relief- wish I could give you GREAT BIG HUGS!!! :D
mom of two

Postby Janehh » Oct 18, 2005 7:55 am

Thanks for your response! I actually posted that about a year ago--these days I have a beautiful 5 month-old baby and am never going back to HG again!! Although, it's strange, I keep having flashbacks to last year and getting nauseated. My fall clothes, the cool weather, outdoor smells, they are all triggers for memories of feeling yucky. But it passes.
You are so brave to do this a third time. I hope it goes quickly for you. I know that having a toddler around when you have HG is unbelievably hard and exhausting. It's hard to believe my now 3 year old has already forgotten that I was ever pregnant and sick. I know I haven't!
Do you have family who can call you for check-ins on a regular basis? I told mine exactly what I needed (as in DON'T YOU DARE MENTION *FOODMENT* CRACKERS OR GINGERALE, OR SAY "IT CAN'T BE THAT BAD... ETC.)and asked for frequent phone calls to cheer me up. It helped a little. I definitely learned to ask for help during this last pregnancy--it was hard at first but you really need it. I hope you get some relief soon. Hang in there,
Jane
2nd hg pregnancy
Due 5/16/05
Janehh
Been There Done That

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG