thank you

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

thank you

Postby karolinagurl20 » Mar 28, 2006 12:36 pm

Everyone who responded, my heart is full. This is a scary nightmare, suzanne, yes my dad is with me and he is an angel. Dh is home right after work, and i am weening. I hope NOBODY ever has to do this be so careful with the meds i know we all say "we're just trying to survive" and its the truth, but i have really endangered myself i just have one of those bodies that does not take kindly to drugs at all. I am still experiencing headaches, like i still cant talk above a whisper, but my panic is slowing down. All of the withdrawls seem to be what i am truly going through i dont remember who replied to my post and told me that i WILL HEAL but thankyou i need encouragement. Suzanne i was also afraid of the dark the first few nights. Dh couldnt believe it was me. Also im anemic i know a lot of us are even fluffies but its not helping my dizziness and i cant take iron :? Anyways this site is a blessing in my life and so are all of you amazing women. I love you all and i truly mean it. Kayla
severe HG
1st and last timer
karolinagurl20
Been There Done That

Postby IslandDreamer » Mar 28, 2006 12:47 pm

Hi Kayla,

Can you tolerate the iron yet? I found one that worked with my last hg pg, well, at the very end and postpartum. I'm glad your Dad is with you...that's so helpful.

Can you nap at all? That might help. And I agree...we do what we must to survive, but we also end up paying the price for that... :? ...I'm sorry.

Praying,
Love,
Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby dwtegli » Mar 28, 2006 1:29 pm

OH (((((KAYLA)))))))),

I am so sorry you are feeling so terrible. My heart really does go out to you. I hope you feel better soon, try and get some rest.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby krisalis » Mar 28, 2006 1:35 pm

I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad.
I have a tip for extra iron. It may not be something you can eat, but it helps for me since the thought of FOODMENT spinach and leafy greens End Foodment gross me out and I was having dizzy/fainting spells a couple of weeks ago. Here it is FOODMENT dark chocolate. It is very high in iron, the darker the better. Also raisins. END FOODMENT . I find the good thing about these is that I can nibble on it or let it melt in my mouth without feeling like I'm eating it. Also make sure you add Vit C to any type of iron you can get down. It helps absorption.

I hope that helps and I really hope this all straightens out for you soon.

Kris
krisalis
HG Expert

Postby IslandDreamer » Mar 28, 2006 1:55 pm

Kris,

No way on the dark chocolate...that's very cool. And it comes up well too :roll: . No wonder I craved it while pg.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Ivydragon » Mar 28, 2006 2:10 pm

Kayla,

Have someone call a health food store in your area and ask for liquid Iron - there are some things available that way that are different than the typical iron. Of course you've been told red meat is high in iron, right? And if you can't tolerate more pills - like Vit. C, stock up on oranges and orange juice.

Huge hugs, hun, and you know we're praying for you. Take it all a day at a time, and soon you'll be all the mom you've ever wanted to be.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby IslandDreamer » Mar 28, 2006 4:49 pm

Hi Kayla,

I wanted to post the tolerable iron supplements I used (and it wasn't hideously expensive) and some other supplements I know help a bit with PPD. Make a list for someone and ask that they get several options for you.

Iron:
Ferro-Sequels by SmartCare
Liquid Chlorophyll

And
Epsom Salts
Calcium Citrate (the pharmacist recommended Citracal)
a vegetarian vitamin...the plant based ones are less stinky and seem easier to digest, imo.
Omega 3 fatty acids (fish or flaxseed oil...if fish oil, make sure it is mercury free or whatever is the official term)

I have a new working theory that we are all quite deficient in magnesium, calcium, and zinc at the end of an HG pg. So I am trying Epsom salt baths to try to get toxins out and magnesium in...epsom salts are cheap cheap cheap...and are magnesium sulfate. Could be a dumb theory, but hey, it's worth the tub time. Just be sure someone helps you in and out...not just from the vertigo but for the hoo hoo bruising from delivery.

In addition, have the docs tested your thyroid? Thyroid trouble is common postpartum. There are several tests to request as the docs usually just do the standard one: TSH, T3, T4, and thyroid antibody.

Praying for you,
Love,
Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Gracie » Mar 28, 2006 5:58 pm

Molasses are a great source of iron... if you can hide this in muffins or cookies it works best.

Try bran muffins with molasses instead of sugar and raisins for a real iron boost.

2/3 cup of Raisin bran (no milk) contains over 35% of your daily iron requirement...

What about the infant iron drops in a smoothie?

Here's a table I found of alternative iron sources:

FOOD AMOUNT IRON (mg)

Soybeans, cooked 1 cup 8.8
Blackstrap molasses 2 Tbsp 7.0
Lentils, cooked 1 cup 6.6
Tofu 4 oz 0.7-6.6
Quinoa, cooked 1 cup 6.3
Kidney beans, cooked 1 cup 5.2
Chickpeas, cooked 1 cup 4.7
Lima beans, cooked 1 cup 4.5
Pinto beans, cooked 1 cup 4.5
Swiss chard, cooked 1 cup 4.0
Tempeh 1 cup 3.8
Black beans, cooked 1 cup 3.6
Bagel, enriched 3 oz 3.2
Turnip greens, cooked 1 cup 3.2
Prune juice 8 oz 3.0
Spinach, cooked 1 cup 2.9
Beet greens, cooked 1 cup 2.7
Tahini 2 Tbsp 2.6
Raisins 1/2 cup 2.2
Cashews 1/4 cup 2.0
Figs, dried 5 medium 2.0
Seitan 4 oz 2.0
Bok choy, cooked 1 cup 1.8
Bulgur, cooked 1 cup 1.7
Apricots, dried 10 halves 1.6
Potato 1 large 1.4
Soy yogurt 6 oz 1.4
Tomato juice 8 oz 1.4
Veggie hot dog 1 hot dog 1.4
Almonds 1/4 cup 1.3
Peas, cooked 1 cup 1.3
Green beans, cooked 1 cup 1.2
Kale, cooked 1 cup 1.2
Sesame seeds 2 Tbsp 1.2
Sunflower seeds 1/4 cup 1.2
Broccoli, cooked 1 cup 1.1
Brussels sprouts,cooked 1 cup 1.1
Millet, cooked 1 cup 1.0
Prunes 5 medium 1.0
Watermelon 1/8 medium 1.0

Sources: USDA Nutrient Data Base for Standard Reference, Release 12, 1998. Manufacturer's information.
Gracie
Gracie
Master of HG

Postby Atsie » Mar 28, 2006 6:25 pm

(((Kayla)))
We love you to! I am so glad your Dad is there to help. Just that extra sets of hands can bring relief. You will overcome this and will have more stories to one up flufflies with!
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Mar 28, 2006 11:33 pm

So glad you're feeling incrementally better. Love you, too, you brave and amazing woman. And still praying.
Mom to Alex, 12 -- NVP
Isaac, 10 -- NVP
Naomi, 8 -- HG
Edward, 4 -- avoided clinical HG through aggressive pre-emptive treatment and pure luck (aka medicated fluffy)
Cin
Forum Moderator

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Mar 31, 2006 8:14 pm

Thinking of you loads!

Hugs

Sarah
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby IslandDreamer » Apr 01, 2006 10:55 am