She figured me out...

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

She figured me out...

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Mar 07, 2006 7:47 am

...my very good American therapist here in Oslo! I've been giving myself a hard time from being anxious post-partum, beating myself up for not being in the moment and purely being thankful for my beautiful son, taking life more simply, taking parenthood in stride, etc. Well, she pointed out to me that with my history (abduction, a childhood on the run and in fear) that of course having a child would bring up issues BIG TIME, and fears, fears, fears--of not being a good parent, of John and I breaking up, of whether he'll love me and enjoy being with me (I didn't enjoy my parents), and much more.
So, it doesn't take much these days to get overwhelmed, bec. the basic anxiety level, without any external stresses, is high enough. Yes, there's this churning, underlying tape playing in my head every time he smiles at me, every time he looks at me adoringly (my husband insists that's what Aidan's doing a lot of the time), that I am not worthy of that love, or that it will fade, disappear, or that he will hate me one day. I live in the future when it comes to Aidan, and in my fears for our relationship. I have had a terrible relationship with my own parents (until recently, with my mom and I connecting a bit more), and I feel a lot of negativity towards parents who use their children to hurt each other in divorce, etc. The more I love my child, the deeper the fear gets. The times that I am present, in the moment, and just enjoying him here and now DO exist, and are wonderful, but it doesn't take much for me to go into projection mode, and it is completely exhausting and draining.

It's helpful, very helpful, to have come to a deeper understanding of this anxiety, as I've been beating myself up for it on some level, feeling unthankful for the gifts in my life. But I am VERY thankful, while at the same time going through an understandable process given my history. It was so good to get clarity on this, so I can work on it more and be patient with myself. ALL feelings are valid and are there for a reason, it's just a matter of figuring it out. I wish I didn't give myself such a hard time while I'm going through the feelings. It would free up so much energy that could be used more productively.

The fact that Aidan's a high-maintenance kid makes it all that much harder to deal with this, as I feel overwhelmed and anxious (which feeds into my fear that I'm going to be a bad parent), and lack of sleep compounds things.

Phew, so nice to get some clarity!

Soon to be serene Sarah 8)
Last edited by Mom to Aidan & Daniel on Mar 23, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby BrandiJK » Mar 07, 2006 9:49 am

I am so happy you have someone there to help you with this process, and what amazingly wonderful steps you are taking! Great work mama, and great therepist! Keep it up, and keep that mind open.

(((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby rjdecker » Mar 07, 2006 3:33 pm

Sarah,

I'll bet that is a big load just taken off your shoulders! I am so glad for your therapist! Hang in there!

Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby Marie » Mar 10, 2006 4:31 am

Sarah,

I am sorry for all that you have been through. What awful experiences for a child to face. You are a strong woman to look back at the hurt and pain and address it head on.

Here if you would ever like to talk.

Hugs,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG