SSRIs increase birth defects?

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

SSRIs increase birth defects?

Postby bibliojo » Jan 01, 2006 4:25 pm

I was talking with a friend who is a nurse today, and knowing that I am on Celexa mentioned to me that a doctor she works with said that a study was released at the end of November saying that ALL SSRIs have been shown to double or triple the incidents of birth defects. Has anybody heard this? Is this for real? If so, this just sucks. I don't know what to do. Celexa has definately helped me, but I don't want to increase my chances of harming my future baby.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby carla » Jan 01, 2006 4:33 pm

YIKES!!!

I chatted with the Dr. about it, and he said that it seemed to be safe, but to wean off it at 37 weeks, that way there will not be any withdrawl effects for baby.

Can you tell me more about the study, and where I can find the research??
Severe HG with DD (Gracee) 30/03/2006
Severe HG with DD (Amara) 01/04/2008
carla
HG Diva

Postby aaronsmommy » Jan 01, 2006 11:10 pm

I think she's confused. The stuff about Paxil came out in Nov, but it was specifically for paxil (the same study showed the same risk of birth defects with the other drugs studied). Ant the risk was an increase of about 11/2-2 times the risk of cardiac defects only (most of which were mild).

Here's the study http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/173/11/1320

and the FDA alert
http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/advisory/p ... 200512.htm

Motherisk would have all of the information available on Celexa - why don't you give them a call.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby bibliojo » Jan 02, 2006 1:36 am

Thank you Aimee. I had read about the Paxil advisory and thought it really wierd I hadn't heard anything about this so called study on all SSRIs. Something like that would have been broadcast far and wide to make all women on anti-depressants feel guilty! :roll:

I was going to call Motherisk about it if nobody here knew anything about it. I still may give them a call. I'll let you know if and what I find out.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby carla » Jan 02, 2006 2:33 am

thanks Amiee,

I think I am going to be able to sleep again tonight! The effects of the study are interesting, but do limit the results to Paxil. Wouldn't they be able to detect these defects with an U/S anyway? I am a bit confused about that?
Severe HG with DD (Gracee) 30/03/2006
Severe HG with DD (Amara) 01/04/2008
carla
HG Diva

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 02, 2006 9:12 am

For anyone taking Prozac: When I had my genetic counseling with Jack, the counselor was completely unconcerned about Prozac, and so were the folks at Motherisk. (But Prozac is one of the meds that give baby withdrawal....though we escaped that with Jack.)
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG